What AMMO did you SCORE TODAY???

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by undeRGRound, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rabidwookie

Rabidwookie What the Hell was that? Member

Managed to find 80 rds of 5.56 for $60.00, but, sadly, that was about it.

2. HPlover

HPlover Member

Texas
    Lucked into 450 rounds of Browning 124gr 9mm for $99 at local Academy.

undeRGRound and Rabidwookie like this.

3. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Another 1000 rounds of 22LR CCI Mini Mags from Target Sports came in. :)

Rabidwookie and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.
  4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Hopefully the quality of their Centerfire is better than their rimfire. I got a couple hundred rounds of their 22 long rifle and it's garbage

Rabidwookie and OldOutlaw like this.
  5. HPlover

HPlover Member

Texas
    No it is not any good, i've had problems with their 9mm ammo before. I just bought it for range use. Available and right price is all

6. gambler

gambler Member

My son-in-law was at Walmart in sporting goods with his daughter looking at something for soccer yesterday, and I had told him if he ever went there and saw some 22 lr pick it up, because I don't ever go to Walmart.

He said he walked in the department and there was 1 box of Federal bulk 325 rounds in the cabinet so he had to go find someone to get it for him. So he brought it to me.

I can't believe the last guy to buy some 22 ammo there actually walked off and left 1 box on the shelf ? hahaha !

Rabidwookie likes this.
  7. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I'm still looking for some 6.5x50 Jap for my Arisaka that isn't $2 plus per rnd :ohno:

Rabidwookie likes this.
  8. OldOutlaw

Well, this is why few buy a Japanese 6.5 or a 7.7 for shooting. The old prices were about $1.90 per round in last couple of years.
    I have a bring back 7.7 Arisaka Dad brought home at end of WWll.
    It is at $2.50 per round right now and in stock. Nope, won't shoot a Japanese rifle because of ammo costs.

Now, a far superior shooter in all respects is the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser round. $1.00 per round and less in some places. Shoulda spent a bit more for one of these and get available and cheaper factory ammo in 6.5 caliber military surplus rifles.

If you can get 6.5 Japanese for even $2.00 a round, better jump on it if you want to shoot it at all. Very expensive rifles to shoot.

ajole and Rabidwookie like this.
  9. Rabidwookie

Rabidwookie What the Hell was that? Member

My granddaddy brought one back at the end of WWII, as well. Hell, 7.7 was expensive as hell even back in the late 80s-early 90s. He usually only kept 1 or 2 boxes on hand. Did most of our deer hunting With 30-06‘s.

10. OldOutlaw

Yes, all Japanese ammo has cost a bundle for years. But 7.7 is easily reloaded using 30-06 brass necked down to 7.7 brass. I just never could justify the cost of doing that. Reason is, why want to shoot one of these rifles more than a couple of times?

11. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

The 6.5x52 Carcano ammo is only about $1/rnd IF you can find it now, maybe I could cram those extra 2mm into the Arisaka somehow :rolleyes: I still have 60 rnds of Carcano ammo.

I don't plan on shooting any of these old guns much, but would like to know they can still handle it.

12. OldOutlaw

Then I would suggest just bite the bullet and only order/buy 1 bx of 6.5X50 Japanese where ever you can find it.

ajole likes this.
  13. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I just picked up 200 rds of Aguila 62gr 5.56 for .36 a round. They were limiting to 2 boxes per person. I bought 2 and wife bought 2. No pistol ammo at all. I take that back, they had 32sw long. It was expensive iirc.

undeRGRound likes this.
  14. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Update:

Received the American Marksman Ammo. Flawless!! Individually packed boxes of 125 for the 308 and 223. Boxes were sealed and sturdy - like really sturdy - and stamped with their name, of course, along with the type of round and DATED. I usually do that before I store it.

Anyway I did open one to check, and they look great. If anyone is looking for those types of ammo I recommend them (at least till I shoot a couple - then it may change).

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Bought two boxes of Wolf .308 steel cases for $10 a box. And a pile of 500 55 grain FMJ bullets for reloading at 9 cents each, some HP38 powder, and some .38/357 lead boolits. Gunnies in Orem.

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I went to the Classic Firearms ammo page to get a few extra points for one of their contests, and they had 1000-round cases of PPU .380 for about $.58 per round, so I jumped on it. After shipping and insurance, it was $.60 per round.

It just arrived, and I can say that I am quite pleased, given that Ammo Seek keeps showing the cheapest .380 being a bunch of crap steel-cased ammo for upwards of $.80 per round from a few no-name sellers. Ammo Seek is a good start point, but sometimes, you have to go do deliberate checks at known trusted sellers, too.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  17. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I bought some a while back but haven't shot it yet. I was just thinking I should take my 2 Bersa Thunder 380 (Combat and Plus in Duotone) and my Beretta M81 32ACP to the range next time. They're fun to shoot.

Dagwood and Think1st like this.
  18. Think1st

Florida
    I do enjoy shooting that PPK/S, and my wife now shoots it to the exclusion of her PPQ. I've been trying to convince her to let me get her a Glock 42, though, because the PPK/S is one of the new ones, and I'd like her to preserve its value a little.

Also, the PPK/S seems to really prefer stouter loads to cycle hard enough to go all the way into battery after it ejects the spent round. We had some Fiocchi that required a tap on the slide about 30-40% of the time, and you could feel that it wasn't a heavy loading. The Glock 42, given that it's recoil operated, instead of direct blow-back, works better with lighter loads.

Nope. One .380 is enough for her. I'm still working on her.

19. OldOutlaw

The Glock 42 is a really nice and accurate little pistol. I bought a G42 and then a G43x this year. The barrels on these two due to design are lower and closer to center of your hand. Less muzzle flip for anyone.
    These are the only Glocks I have ever bought. Both highly concealable. The G42 is small and light weight for sure. Appears my wife is now claiming it. She has been carrying it in her purse lately. May have to get another one of these for myself again.

Think1st and Rabidwookie like this.
  20. Think1st

Florida
    We rented one when I told my wife I wanted her to have another .380 besides her PPK/S, and I really liked it, too. Funny enough, the trigger and the overall handling characteristics caused me to accidentally do a double on my 10yd target, and the second round hit right next to the preceding one. I had been doing a string of shots, not allowing the trigger to travel forward after the reset, but on that shot, I accidentally found some sweet spot where I must have stopped the forward movement on the trigger where the seer had just barely engaged the striker. It was a really sweet shooter.