What AMMO did you SCORE TODAY???

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by undeRGRound, Apr 20, 2015.

1. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Yes they are. I don't know of anyone so far that does not like theirs.

Rabidwookie likes this.
  2. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

A few boxes of .380 PMC, FMJ. Nothing too major but it's ammunition and I'd just have to pump a few into someone. I have to feed my Taurus 58S

Rabidwookie likes this.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Very Nice!
    I sold a few boxes at a profit ;)

missiledefender and Rabidwookie like this.
  4. undeRGRound

INDY
    @Think1st: if 9mm is European for "stun."
    Then what is .380??? :rotfl:

Think1st and Rabidwookie like this.
  5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's European for pepper spray.

And I carry 9mm, too. Sometimes, platform size just has to take precedence over ultimate caliber preference.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    :D

great stuff

7. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

500 rounds of 556 m855... for the nice low price of $365.00 (/sigh...) then I bought 5 boxes of 9mm 124 GR from the same place - because $500=free shipping!!!

Still in stock .60 a round for 124 and .59 for 115. Weird to see 9mm in stock lol.

556 is out of stock though...

8. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

According to the FBI: All pistol calibres .380-.45 ACP, FMJ or HP, the average is 3 rounds per attacker to put them down and keep them there.

9. So.... .45 Super, .460 Rowland, .454 Casull, .460 S&W, 50 AE, .500 S&W, and what else am I missing; these are gonna do it in less than 3 shots? :rolleyes: did they account for magnum revolver calibers like the .44 Mag, .41 Mag, and the above mentioned large calibers?

Think1st, undeRGRound and Rabidwookie like this.
  10. av·er·age
    /ˈav(ə)rij/
    noun
    noun: average; plural noun: averages
    a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

adjective
    adjective: average
    constituting the result obtained by adding together several quantities and then dividing this total by the number of quantities.

verb
    verb: average; 3rd person present: averages; past tense: averaged; past participle: averaged; gerund or present participle: averaging

11. Think1st

Florida
    The three hits from the .45 shooters all hit while the bad guy was dead on his feet from the first shot because .45 shooters take their training more seriously than do typical shooters of lesser calibers, putting three rounds into the chest and head before knowing it even happened.

With the exception of my wife, the average .380 shooter is very likely to be someone who doesn't take the gun to the range much and has a full-size handgun s/he prefers, while the average 9mm shooter is more prolific and, therefore, encompasses more of those who buy a gun to throw on the nightstand but not to to use at the range very much.:stir:

CamoDeafie likes this.
  12. So if the inference is that 3 is the middle number, it means.. 1 to 5 shots to stop a person for median (1, 2, 3 4, 5) , and the mean, I dont know how many shootings, but it sounds like 3 is the result.. for mode, it seems 3 is the most frequent number of shots required to stop?

13. Think1st

Florida
    What it means is that there are a whole bunch of five-shot stops from lesser calibers and a few one-shot stops from .45 ACP rounds.

By the way, take a look at Paul Harrell's analysis of the 1986 FBI Miami-Dade shootout.

It wasn't the ineffectiveness of the 9mm, itself, which caused it to go so poorly. It was the failure of all of those .38 Special and 9mm shooters to hit the bad guys. If even one of them had been a .45 shooter, there would have been two hits and two bad guys down. One of the 9mm shooters was even a former SWAT guy. He probably used a .45 when he was with SWAT and took his training seriously. After he left SWAT, he got issued a 9mm and probably forgot all about going to the range more frequently than was required for annual qualifications.

What's the key takeaway? If you get a 9mm, don't let the diminutive size of the caliber poison your mind into believing that your pistol is just a stun device that's not worth practicing with. Keep a .45, also, so that you stay vigilent. When I got my first 9mm pistol, I kept training with my .45s, too. :stir: It's helped me take my little pop gun more seriously.

Rerun likes this.
  14. Have you the actual data to actually back this up? It could be that there were a bunch of 5.7 1 shot stops or 7.62x25 tok 1 stop shots, and a bunch of 4 to 5 shot stops with every available calibers, being the main takeaways being skill and training of the shooters :rolleyes::stir::stir::stir::lurk:

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    yah, but yer a real cowboi and 6 shots is usually enough...

16. Think1st

Florida
    Exactly. .45 shooters are better shooters because they are more dedicated. A .45 is a more serious round, and it takes a more serious shooter to appreciate that indisputable universal truth. So sayeth the Cooper!

Rerun and Rabidwookie like this.
  17. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

If it takes 1 shot with a 45 and 3 shots with a 9mm, how many times do I have to load this 50rnd drum of 22LR up:

DSCN0349.JPG

I hope not more than once cause my trigger finger gets "trigger finger" after 50rnds :shooting:

18. Think1st

Florida
    Oooooh, that's a tough one. .22lr is the wild card of the bunch. New shooters don't usually get .22lr firearms because idiots at the LGS tell them to get .357 Magnum snubbies or full-size 9mm pistols with which they won't likely receive propper training. People who shoot .22lr rifles like yours usually have a lot more practical experience and will be likelier to put rounds where they need to go.

So, in answer to your question, it could be one shot if you hit the bad guy in the head or upwards of five if you distribute them throughout the center of mass. That latter number will be dependent on the body composition of the bad guy, mental state, pharmaceutical influences, and ultimate shot placement. After all, the .22 isn't capable of completely pulpping people with a hit to a pinky toe the way the .45 can. :stir: Shot placement is much more important with the .22 as with other lesser rounds, but as stated earlier, those who shoot .22 rifles will typically have the skill to get better shot placement because of their greater experience.

Rerun and OldOutlaw like this.
  19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    They HAVE to be better shooters, they only have 7 or 8 bullets.:rolleyes:

But since they stop after each shot to check for hits and see if the bad guy falls over, that’s enough for a few minutes of gun fighting.;)

OldOutlaw likes this.
  20. Do they have to stop and check because of the cataracts or do they forget why they're shooting because of the Alzheimer's? Both of which are more far common in the .45 shooter.
    upload_2020-10-23_6-17-57.jpeg