Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

3961 - 3980 of 4022 Posts

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,946 Posts
Was going to get 5.45x39 - got an email from Atlantic it was in stock!!! It's still in stock last I checked cause it's like $0.75 a round... that stuff was $0.20 a round not long ago, that is just crazy...

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hoarders are the ammo problem. 3 friends of mine. 1. Has over 4,000 rounds 223/5.56 on hand and still buying at 80 to 90 cents a round. 2. Has a safe full of 225/5.56. Doesnt know how many but thousands. Told me that every payday he buys another 200 rounds. Last week paid 90 cents a round. 3. The worst hoarder. Told me on Thursday he has over 10,000 rounds of 223/5.56 and paid 75 cents last time and is working on a bulk buy with another guy. I asked them why they are still buying when they have so much on hand and got the same answer from all three> "You never know whats gonna happen out there." And they all complained to me about ammo prices...duh !!!

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Hoarders are the ammo problem. 3 friends of mine. 1. Has over 4,000 rounds 223/5.56 on hand and still buying at 80 to 90 cents a round. 2. Has a safe full of 225/5.56. Doesnt know how many but thousands. Told me that every payday he buys another 200 rounds. Last week paid 90 cents a round. 3. The worst hoarder. Told me on Thursday he has over 10,000 rounds of 223/5.56 and paid 75 cents last time and is working on a bulk buy with another guy. I asked each of them why they are still buying when they have so much on hand and got the same answer from all three> "You never know whats gonna happen out there." And they all complained to me about ammo prices...duh !!!
So he has 10,000 rnds of 223, just how many of those rnds does he expect to get down the pipe once SHTF??? I'm figuring 200-300 rnds before you or the other guy wins the battle. If you win, take the other guys guns/ammo for safe keeping.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So he has 10,000 rnds of 223, just how many of those rnds does he expect to get down the pipe once SHTF??? I'm figuring 200-300 rnds before you or the other guy wins the battle. If you win, take the other guys guns/ammo for safe keeping.
I would ask him but he doesnt think logically. FWIW he drives an old Toyota pickup with 340,000 miles on it. He said he cant afford to buy a newer one....lol !!!!

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
Hoarders are the ammo problem. 3 friends of mine. 1. Has over 4,000 rounds 223/5.56 on hand and still buying at 80 to 90 cents a round. 2. Has a safe full of 225/5.56. Doesnt know how many but thousands. Told me that every payday he buys another 200 rounds. Last week paid 90 cents a round. 3. The worst hoarder. Told me on Thursday he has over 10,000 rounds of 223/5.56 and paid 75 cents last time and is working on a bulk buy with another guy. I asked each of them why they are still buying when they have so much on hand and got the same answer from all three> "You never know whats gonna happen out there." And they all complained to me about ammo prices...duh !!!
Evidently you aren't versed on the current state of affairs are you? Joe has talked about taking his pen out and stopping online sales of ammo. Only 2 places in my area that sell bulk. They are beyond stupid with their pricing if they even have anything. The demand isn't going down anytime soon. The supplies may dry up, or maybe they won't. Prices have ebbed down a little from some sellers, inventory has come up a little. The stimulus checks are here. Might be a small spurt in gun, and ammo sales.

I will be giving my brother's future son in law, and his daughter ammo for their wedding gifts! :shooting:He got a Radical AR15. I sent him a spare bolt, BAD lever, and a couple of mags right after Christmas. (Radical in the past has had issues with bolts breaking at low round counts) He hadn't shot it at Christmas time. I pulled out the AR I had on me and bro and I taught him how to break it down and what all the parts were and how they worked together. He writes computer stuff and has a masters degree. He caught on really fast.

Thoughtful Trashy

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
I would ask him but he doesnt think logically. FWIW he drives an old Toyota pickup with 340,000 miles on it. He said he cant afford to buy a newer one....lol !!!!
Just broke in if it doesn't rust into the ground from the salt. I have bought 2 new cars in my life. One was a '87 Toyota truck wish I still had it.

I just buy used stuff, I don't want a car payment. I have an account I add money to every week for a new to me car. One Lesabre has a touch over 200k on it, the other is knocking on 200K. The A/C, cruise and windows work fine. They ride great and get 26-30mpg on my commute @76mph. No payments required. Wear parts are cheap and plenty of them in the wrecking yards for other things.

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
SHTF isn't guaranteed to happen any time soon. You still have to train until then, and that takes ammo. Having enough to keep going to the range for a few years is just smart.

But, yes, a few hundred rounds would suffice during TEOTWAWKI. You just need the extra ammo for before it hits.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,946 Posts
Hoarders are the ammo problem. 3 friends of mine. 1. Has over 4,000 rounds 223/5.56 on hand and still buying at 80 to 90 cents a round. 2. Has a safe full of 225/5.56. Doesnt know how many but thousands. Told me that every payday he buys another 200 rounds. Last week paid 90 cents a round. 3. The worst hoarder. Told me on Thursday he has over 10,000 rounds of 223/5.56 and paid 75 cents last time and is working on a bulk buy with another guy. I asked them why they are still buying when they have so much on hand and got the same answer from all three> "You never know whats gonna happen out there." And they all complained to me about ammo prices...duh !!!
Well... I have always had a rule of thumb. Basically, 750-1k for each rifle in that caliber and same for Pistols. That accounts for some range time and I can stay within my self-imposed threshold. Only exception I have is hunting rounds/rifles where I like to have 3-400 per. So the more rifles you have of course the more ammo. It adds up quick as you acquire more weapons.

With todays climate though I'm not sure if anyone with more than a few hundred rounds should say crap about what they have.

To each their own, some people stock on on emergency food/water, some on silver or precious metals and finally some on weapons and ammo. Yes, some with all three (looking @undeRGRound ). They will all definitely have their place if the country keeps heading down the road it is heading.

·
Registered
499 Posts
you need ammo to train and to hopefully share with others if necessary should SHTF, to me a true hoarder just piles it up but doesnt shoot . Like the guy on youtube with 400k rounds of 22 that he shows off after climbing out of his big swimming pool with a cocktail. i think its an ammo mafia video , or something like that . but you also have the possibility of ammo being heavily taxed and/or online sales being stopped . which would seriously hamper even occasional shooters. i dont begrudge anyone with large stockpiles .....i wish i had the cash to keep many more thousand on hand so i wouldnt have to be so concerned about the politics involved in the issue. but if the S ever did HTF , your odds of living would go down with every mag expended imo. that being said id still rather have more than not .

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,946 Posts
you need ammo to train and to hopefully share with others if necessary should SHTF, to me a true hoarder just piles it up but doesnt shoot . Like the guy on youtube with 400k rounds of 22 that he shows off after climbing out of his big swimming pool with a cocktail. i think its an ammo mafia video , or something like that . but you also have the possibility of ammo being heavily taxed and/or online sales being stopped . which would seriously hamper even occasional shooters. i dont begrudge anyone with large stockpiles .....i wish i had the cash to keep many more thousand on hand so i wouldnt have to be so concerned about the politics involved in the issue. but if the S ever did HTF , your odds of living would go down with every mag expended imo. that being said id still rather have more than not .
Well said!! Would rather have and not need than need and not have.

·
Administrator
24,342 Posts
I don't know. I have an issue with the guys who brag about a stash measured in thousands and brag about buying more ammo by the hundreds, while complaining about a lack of availability and complaining about the price per round. Then they trash talk the people who didn't/couldn't and don't even go shoot what they have.

I don't know what you "practice" guys are talking about honestly. You want to go out and blow hundreds of rounds off a month and pretend you're better than everyone else, go for it. I go out every other month with a few dozen rounds, and my skills don't diminish. You don't need hundreds of rounds a trip to maintain proficiency as an average shooter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know. I have an issue with the guys who brag about a stash measured in thousands and brag about buying more ammo by the hundreds, while complaining about a lack of availability and complaining about the price per round. Then they trash talk the people who didn't/couldn't and don't even go shoot what they have.

I don't know what you "practice" guys are talking about honestly. You want to go out and blow hundreds of rounds off a month and pretend you're better than everyone else, go for it. I go out every other month with a few dozen rounds, and my skills don't diminish. You don't need hundreds of rounds a trip to maintain proficiency as an average shooter.
you are right , i dont believe shooting or marksmanship is as perishible skill as some would claim . and ive seen guys at the range doing mag dump after mag dump and dont even have targets set up , some have had really high dollar firearms too. they could be ex snipers for all i know , but that type of shooting has never made sense to me

·
Administrator
24,342 Posts
you are right , i dont believe shooting or marksmanship is as perishible skill as some would claim . and ive seen guys at the range doing mag dump after mag dump and dont even have targets set up , some have had really high dollar firearms too. they could be ex snipers for all i know , but that type of shooting has never made sense to me
It definitely is a perishable skill but I attribute it more to riding a bike. Sure, you'll get rusty as you fall out of practice and you probably shouldn't go out on a BMX track or downhill mountain biking course at breakneck speeds with the professionals, but you'll get around town just fine and if you used to be a pro rider you'll still be better then half the current pros out there and 99% of the average riders. So you're still ahead of the curve by maintaining basic proficiency and mechanics.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,946 Posts
Well, I do believe a lot of it is muscle memory. I'm not saying I need hundreds of rounds a month, but I do like to "try" and get out a couple times a month. I go through a box, now some of it is "practice" to keep my trigger discipline etc, but some is just fun... what is wrong with fun...

I guess you can put it in the category of "it's like riding a bike" but no one is gonna tell me that someone that rides more often isn't going to be a better cyclist than someone that gets on a bike a couple times a year. Getting to know and remember your gear, your bike, your car, whatever... makes you better at operating that machine.

Mag dumps, no, not good for training but it is FUN. With ammo costs now though its kinda dumb right now lol.

Edit: @Rachgier Hilarious we both used the bike theme at the same time lol.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,747 Posts
I haven't bought any ammo in I don't know how long. Don't need to. I have enough hoarded for us. And enough reloading supplies to last a very long time. Because I had the money at the time to buy in bulk when it was cheap. Like the great 22 shortages I never ran low on it and we shoot it all the time . Planning. But I never wasted money on all the other things people bought. Like food, vests, gold, etc... I just know where to get that kind of crap if SHTF.
And I didn't need to spend a lot of money on it either

·
Administrator
24,342 Posts
Well, I do believe a lot of it is muscle memory. I'm not saying I need hundreds of rounds a month, but I do like to "try" and get out a couple times a month. I go through a box, now some of it is "practice" to keep my trigger discipline etc, but some is just fun... what is wrong with fun...

I guess you can put it in the category of "it's like riding a bike" but no one is gonna tell me that someone that rides more often isn't going to be a better cyclist than someone that gets on a bike a couple times a year. Getting to know and remember your gear, your bike, your car, whatever... makes you better at operating that machine.

Mag dumps, no, not good for training but it is FUN. With ammo costs now though its kinda dumb right now lol.

Edit: @Rachgier Hilarious we both used the bike theme at the same time lol.
The difference is acknowledging that there are varying levels of riders out there and not every individual requires the same amount of work to maintain their current proficiency.

Reactions: Visper

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,946 Posts
The difference is acknowledging that there are varying levels of riders out there and not every individual requires the same amount of work to maintain their current proficiency.
I agree on that part.

Was thinking about this while I was outside tending to the goats just now. Look at people like Babe Ruth. Out of shape drinker and smoker. One of the best if not the best that ever played. He was just a natural. Some just have certain skills "pre-wired" into them and others no matter how hard or how many times they practice will never reach that level.

So for some people they may "need" more practice to stay proficient while others can sit inside and smoke and drink all day and head out every few months and still put 3 shots on bull and walk back inside.

Is what it is, not all of us are built the same...

3961 - 3980 of 4022 Posts