What Are These?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flyboy, Nov 8, 2014.

  1. So I'm trying to figure out what these flat, round plastic pieces are in my car. They're above the backseat on the roof supports. They appear to cover a set of screws. What are these suckers called? I need a spare but have no idea what to search for.

    Attached Files:

  2. Dane

    Dane Supporting Member

    A Plug to fill an unused hole?

  3. headliner retainer?

    what year, make, model car is it?
  4. Rachgier

    Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

    Nylon Trim Panel Clips


    Interior Panel Retainers

    I just had to buy a bunch for the old lady's van because my kids keep slamming the sliding doors even though they are auto-close doors.....
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  5. MaryB

    MaryB Supporting Member

    Yup it is a push pin type retainer that expands the tube it goes in to lock pieces in place
  6. Rachgier

    Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

    And to add to her description, they also have the kind that look like Christmas trees that are much less user friendly come removal time.
  7. 2005 Ford Mondeo LX.
  8. HiPointArmorer

    HiPointArmorer Member

    You can get those at any hardware store, shouldn't be more than .25 cents a piece.
  9. Hardware stores in the U.S. maybe. Here? Good luck. :p
  10. Bull

    Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

    Sounds like a fleabay/scamazon pickup.
  11. cicpup

    cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

    No auto parts stores in the UK? Here Auto Zone has a whole rack of those dumb things for every current auto manufacturer.
  12. ajole

    ajole Supporting Member

    NE Utah
    Not to mention dealers. I know they'll charge you triple, but they have them, they have the right ones, and you won't have to buy four different versions to make sure they fit right.
  13. Checked; both of them have them, but not for my car; I guess I got the luck of the draw in that scenario.

    As for auto parts stores, yup, they got the stores, but the selection in store isn't so great. The best one I've been to is one of those, "We got the big stuff, but the smaller stuff you gotta order," type deals. My biggest problem there is distance for result; I live in Bury St. Edmunds. Thus far, the stores in my city don't have them, and have no idea if they can order them.
    Which means I have to travel over 40 minutes to Mildenhall to go to above mentioned store. Mildenhall is also where the dealer that sold my car is. Problem is, it's a used car dealer that sells exclusively to military that is not affiliated with any one manufacturer. I've bought a Honda, BMW (lemon), and Ford through them. He buys cars from other dealers and resells them. So they generally don't stock parts from major manufacturers. I already asked him; he does not have the part and has no idea how to get them.

    So I e-mailed a junk yard in the same city, and am waiting for a response back from them. I'm hoping they got a few old Mondeos laying around there I can tear a few out of.

    Worst comes to worst, I call up the UK division of Ford and see if they can't help me out. I did it in Japan for my Mustang and they did awesome, let's hope they're the same here.
  14. papataylor

    papataylor Member

    Drop by the top gear facility. They have a few mondeo's laying about from past seasons

    Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum