What are you all using for optics?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by wizard, Sep 30, 2015.

1. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Been looking at red dots online. What do you use on your
    carbine?

Red Dot? Scope? or the standard sights?

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I use an ancient tasco red dot. 30mm tube and the battery lasts forever on my 4595. It is similar to the aimpoint sight from the early 90's and just as good.

3. I've got a C-More red dot on 4095 Has a 1moa dot pricey but outstanding reliability . I posted these yesterday 25 yard left target 6 rounds supported right target 10 rounds elbows supported[​IMG]

4. 0311

0311 Member

I have a $30 BSA on my 4595. Spent a bit more $$$ & got this NC STAR scope for my Monkey Gun.

Attached Files:

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A Sightmark reflex red dot, a Tasco tube red dot, a Simmons 1.5-6 scope, and irons on the rest.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I run irons, normally, but I did buy a Bushnell TRS-32 from PSA, last year, when they had an amazing deal going on them. I never had a chance to use it at the range, but I did test the effectiveness of the dot in bright light. On its lowest setting, when aimed at an incandescent bulb, the dot doesn't get washed out.

I also bought a See All sight, which negates the need for lining up front and rear sights on a rifle through the clever use of a magnifier and a triangle engraved into a plastic block ahead of it. I did use it on my Saiga, and it was a good and solid sight. No need for batteries really is what I liked about it.

Attached Files:

8. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I'm using right now a Vortex Strike fire gen II red dot on my 995TS and works very well . I'm thinking of swapping that out and getting a Lucid HD7 red dot

9. sarahsmom

UndeRGRound used this setup on his, and I want to use this set up on a 4095ts if/when I get one. Here is his post showing the link:

Sorry I missed this...

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Sub-Compact-Sight-Rifles-Shotguns/dp/B00S0QVK4G

http://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tact...ds=monstrum+tactical+scope+4x30+ultra+compact

Monstrum also has an MOA style (BDC) range finding reticle, bt it is $3 more and
    it does not matter much, Mil-Dot is a bigger difference at 100 yards. You might
    prefer the MOA type, it is more prevalent on non-military scopes. I think my
    "Double-HUBBLE" (eat ur heart out SwagZY!) is also mil-dot, good to be
    consistent.
    - Quoted from Mole

Will try to find his post that explains it all in detail and post that.

10. sarahsmom

11. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the great info. I want to get a jump on some
    of this stuff so I will know what to get when I get home and buy
    my carbine.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Ive saw these at a gun show recently and honestly thought it was a gimmick. Of course the rep played it up like it was the greatest thing ever invented, but they didn't actually have any mounted on a firearm to see how it looked or worked. (bad planning guys)......
    Anyway, what do you honestly think about it. Its an interesting concept, that id be willing to try i think, but the rep just wasn't very good at his job and could not sell me on it.

13. Think1st

Florida
    I have actually found the sight to be pretty useful, and it is a shame that the sales rep did such a poor job of articulating its advantages. That probably has to do with the fact that he had never even used it, himself.

With that being said, I'll tell you about how it works, in practice. To start off, the triangle on the green block has a pair of horizontal lines that extend in either direction from the top tip of that triangle. To get the most out of the sight, you line those up with the top edge of the magnifier when sighting in on your target. Essentially, wherever the tip of the triangle is on the target, is the impact point for the round.

When you have the sight lined up, you are looking directly through the clear magnifier, over the top of the green block. The magnifier is designed to let you see the triangle in such a way that its tip is only visible if you have your line of sight parallel to the trajectory along which it is zeroed. This is the same principle as that used for conventional or illuminated optics. The difference is that instead of looking through a tube or a panel with a projected reticule, you are looking over the top of the block on which the triangle is engraved.

If you view the triangle with the lines below the top edge of the magnifier, you will see green above the line--this is the same as viewing a box from below its top edge. If that happens with the See All, then you will have effectively obscured part of your target with the front edge of the green block. Nevertheless, the tip of the triangle will still indicate where the round will strike.

I found that lining up the tip of the triangle on the desired point of impact requires much less eye focus than focusing on a front iron sight. Because it is so close to the eye, the focus is instantaneous, and the tip of the triangle is small enough to allow more precise alignment on a target.

Going back to what I previously said about green obscuration if you don't align it with the top of the magnifier, if you shoot with both eyes open, then the triangle will appear transparent, anyway, so for reflexive fire techniques, you can train to bring the triangle's tip onto a target without having to carefully align with the top edge of the magnifier, and this is just about as effective as using a, electronic red dot or reflex sight.

Because the green block gathers light, it also allows you to more easily make out the triangle in low light than you can make out a front sight. It isn't useful in really dark conditions, but you can use it in lower light than you can with an iron sight.

So, what kind of advantage does it give? It lets you have a device with almost the same capability as an electronic sight or traditional non-magnified optic, but it does so in a vastly smaller and more durable package--all without the need for a battery. In general, if you want something for hunting, plinking or three-gun matches that is more compact and doesn't require batteries but is easier to use than iron sights, then the See All is a very practical device. It takes a little getting used to, but when you get it, you will realize that it is a worthwhile item to have.

I have no regrets about having purchased mine, and I will probably get another at some point.

14. Scope. I've tried a few red dots on different rifles but just haven't had any luck with them.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Thanks Think,
    Do believe i might just be giving this a try real soon. Now i regret not picking one up at the gun show special price!

16. Think1st

Florida
    Any time, Talon.

What was your special price, just out of curiosity? I ordered mine not long after they came out, so my special price from Tandem Kross was $95 + $5 S&H.

Just make sure to LocTite the mounting screws. I forgot to do that during my first trip, and they loosened up after about 50 rounds on my Saiga. I felt pretty silly.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

It was $79 at the show.

Which was too much for a impulse buy since the rep was truly full of it. His sales pitch was basically "the last sighting devise you'll ever need. It works i cant explain why but trust me". From a script.

But your 2 paragraphs makes it understandable. I would have bought it on the spot.

18. Think1st

Florida
    Damn. I'd definitely get another for $79. That's a good price.

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

Next show is usually early November. Think ill hold off and see if they are back and grab one. If not ill order from thier website.

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Not even one mounted for a demo? SAD!