What did you do in the reloading room today?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by talonted1990, May 12, 2015.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

????? Your wet tumbler doesn’t polish ?????

I like to use BB’s in my wet tumbler. Dawn , Lemishine, and water. Cleans and shines nicely.

I will admit that crushed walnut and jewelers rouge in my vibratory cleaner puts a shine on brass that will make you put on your cheap sunglasses!

Pistolkitty and lklawson like this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Do the BB's sometimes get stuck in the small primer holes or do you run them before you deprime?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. greg_r

Sometimes. Not as much as the stainless pins or walnut pieces do. And they are easier to get out when they do. Walnut is really not too bad, nor are the pins unless one gets wedged in like they sometimes do.

lklawson likes this.
  4. welderman

welderman Member

I do separate like that, just not as to number of loadings. It's easier to inspect them at each level of the reloading process.

5. Rerun

Rerun Member

Its
    It's not how many rounds you shot, its that you went shooting at the range.

eldar

lklawson likes this.
  6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

24 rounds of 30/30 Win topped with 150 gr Hard Cast, Gas Checked, Hollow Points, driven by 8.5 gr of Trailboss.

30-30.jpg

100 rounds of 9mm, capped with a 130 gr Hard Cast Hollow Point and powered by Unique.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Rerun likes this.
  7. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Are you using the Redding scale?

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes. I use it in conjunction with the digital in to verify against each other.

9. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I've been playing with similar loads recently. In the end, I decided to go with a 165 gr cast bullet, and a lighter .30 carbine short jacket plinker loaded with 15 gr IMR 4227 and 10 gr Unique respectively.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've been looking at the Unique loads but, honestly, I want to use it for my 9mm loads.

I chose Trailboss for several reasons. Unless it's a compressed load, it's very forgiving. Hodgdon says that it's impossible to over-pressure it and I'm loading for a literal antique Winchester 94. It's over a century old and belongs to my dad. Trailboss is such a "fluffy" powder that there's no way that I can double-charge and an undercharge is immediately noticeable.

@greg_r has pointed out that Trailboss generates higher pressures for a given velocity but for my purposes, I am willing to accept a little less speed for a high probability of not over-pressuring while still having a high case fill. I'm not sure that I could feel as comfortable with Unique (for instance). I'd be worried that it would use minimal case capacity and might lay out or whatever and cause detonation. I might be willing to live with that risk in my own, new manufacture, gun but not an antique belonging to someone else.

I admit that my usage case is pretty niche and doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else, but it works for my needs. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

mr_flintstone likes this.
  11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    60 rounds of 300 BO, 110 grain Nosler ballistic tips on top of RamShot Enforcer powder.

lklawson likes this.
  12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

130 rounds of 300 AAC Blackout. I've nearly killed my can of Hodgdon CFE BLK. Gonna have to get some more.

I'm running low on Benchmark too.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well phooey! They were out of CFE BLK so I got a pound of Lil'Gun instead. I hear good things about that.

greg_r likes this.
  14. GoesBang

IMR 4227

greg_r likes this.
  15. greg_r

Lil’Gun will give you more velocity out of the 300 BLK than any other powder. It’s the reason I bought the powder. It is a hot burning powder though. I mean temperature wise. Just a few shots then touch the barrel and you will see what I mean. I still use it in the 450 BM, but I have not been replacing it as I use it, when it’s gone, it’s gone for me.
    Freedom Arms put out a warning about using Lil’Gun in their revolvers. Here it is from Bob Baker of Freedom Arms:

"We have seen numerous barrels damaged by using Lil'Gun. According to customers, some had as few as 30 rounds using Lil Gun through them, some had several hundred. Before we figured out what was happening one customer had sent his gun in for a new barrel. Then 600 rounds later it came back for another new barrel.

A couple years ago we did a test with a M83, .357 Mag. using Hornady 180 gr. bullets. We loaded 50 rds. of three different loads. One was a heavy H-110 load and the other two both used Lil Gun in different quantities.

We fired the H-110 loads first, then cut off the threaded end of the barrel. Rethreaded the barrel and shot one of the Lil Gun loads then rethreaded the barrel and shot the last Lil Gun load.

We found even the light load of Lil Gun caused the gun to get extremely hot. The heavy Lil Gun load had the gun so hot the only place we could touch the gun was on the grips and they were very hot.

Under magnification the surface appeared to have heated to a point of flowing using the Lil Gun loads and the heavy load was worse than the light load. This is probably due to Lil Gun having about 10% more nitro glycerin in it than H-110."

lklawson likes this.
  16. greg_r

One of my mainstay powders. With a couple pounds each of Unique, IMR4227, IMR3031, and IMR4350 a person can load a lot of cartridges! 32 S&W TO 300 Win Mag.

lklawson likes this.
  17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well nuts! Now I'm not sure I want to use it.

18. GoesBang

I just got these for FREE. Including delivery. IMG_0834.jpg

The box appears to be full.

lklawson likes this.
  19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Over this last week, I mostly reorganized my reloading shelf. I ditched most of my containers into the recycling bin (coffee canisters and margarine tubs) and replaced them with clear stackable containers, labeled. They take up less space, stack nicely, and I can tell what's in them.

I prepped a bunch of 9mm brass (brass prep sucks). I primed and loaded (130 gr. Hard Cast HP) around 300-ish rounds of 9mm.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

moona11 likes this.
  20. Quavodus

Quavodus Member

A few days ago I loaded 100 rds. .308 and about that many 9mm. Maybe my 500 cast 115 gr. bullets will be in soon.