What did you shoot today?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kiln, Jun 6, 2016.

1. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Bersa .380, Beretta 84, 1911 and my new 80% Glock. I have a bunch of handloads that Im trying to burn and get some training out of...when its "warm" here in Alaska...at 20. That was our high...ugh

2. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Maybe you should heat the ammo up before you go to the range :rotfl:

TNTRAILERTRASH and Rabidwookie like this.

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I was more worried about heating ME up. Ammo shot just fine. :shooting:

Rabidwookie and Dubar like this.
  4. Baby Brownings have been my jam lately. Today I shot my formerly "parts gun", which has been upgraded to "experimental" to test my questionable reloads, and it now sports a 45 cal suppressor, just for funsies.

Also the PSA-25 I bought with my 2020 stimulus check. Behold, peasants. IMG_20210123_165747086.jpg

Dagwood, adam01364 and ajole like this.
  5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Your new mags may just need a good breaking in.

Dubar and Smiles-N-Sunshine like this.
  6. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Sighted in my new PSAK-74. Got a Belomo PK-01VS for it, was delivered a few days ago.

Took me 5 shots to get it dead nuts, and then a few boxes just for fun on a 3" steel plate.

Also got to try one of my Christmas presents:

Pro Ears Stealth 28

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NC8SDNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was great not wearing muffs. I have electronic muffs also but man these new plugs are awesome, kinda forgot they were even on lol.

7. I understand.
    upload_2021-1-24_9-0-25.png

Smiles-N-Sunshine likes this.
  8. Clarence Eck

Clarence Eck Member

A replica .50 caliber Hawken pistol. Enjoyed shooting it but hate the cleaning!

Rerun and Dagwood like this.
  9. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Took my nephew to the indoor range to shoot pistols, he's in the market for a 22 so I took my GSG Firefly, GSG 1911, a Bersa Thunder 380 Combat, and my new Heritage 22 Barkeep.

All pistols did well, he did have a couple of hiccups because he babied the slide back instead of letting it fly. He had Lasik surgery a couple of months ago and he was nailing the bullseye and all his groups were small.

Pleased with the short-barreled Barkeep, hitting what I aimed at at 10yds, using Fiocchi bulk 22 ammo. The only hiccup I had...after the first cylinder full I used the separate ejection rod to empty the casings. After that I kinda tossed it onto the table and it rolled off onto the floor inside the range itself. The old tables had a lip, the new tables don't :rolleyes::oops: Fortunately there was a range guy talking up a young lady in the nest lane so I got him to retrieve it for me. Definitely need to drill a hole thru the handle and attach something to keep it from rolling around.

Oh...Using the stick to eject the spent shells didn't take but a second or two longer than using a built-in ejection rod. The only issue is it's a separate piece you have to fish out to use, that and keeping track of it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  10. How do you like the Bauer models? The interwebs suggest that QC was spotty with them, but a good one is a good one. I love stainless steel guns in general so I want one.

(I bid on one on Gunbroker, and hereby call **DIBS** you guys.)

11. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

How do you like the GSG Firefly, my nephew keeps asking me when i am going to get one so he can shoot it lol. I've read good and bad things about them. I was looking at the Ruger SR-22, gets great reviews but its a little pricey in my opinion for a non-match pistol.

Anyway, so what did I shoot. Lets see today was a busy range day.

Lets just say 4 rifles and 2 pistols but only about 140 rds total... trying to curb my ammo consumption... maybe a 22 pistol would be a nice add lol.

12. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I've had it since June 2018, OTD for $250. It feels really good in my hands, everybody that's held it says the same thing.

I've had some failures feeding/ejecting rounds, but it has improved with age plus I've polished the feed ramp a bunch. Probably have well over 1000rnds thru it now. Yesterday it went thru maybe 100rnds before the 1st problem, the firing pin definitely struck the rim but didn't go off. I put that round in my Heritage Barkeep and it fired. Could have been the primer, just don't know. Nephew had a couple where he didn't let the slide fly. I shot it 2 Fridays ago and had zero failures.

I wouldn't hesitate about getting another one. I would like to put wood grips on it, plastic grips look cheap, but last time I looked they were expensive. Mine does not have a threaded barrel, but my GSG 1911 does and is very reliable. Both hold 10rnds.

Visper and fatal-bert33 like this.
  13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I would look at that 15+1 Taurus. Reviewers can't say enough nice things about it.

Rerun and Visper like this.
  14. I love me some Baby 25 pistols, I have a very difficult time passing them up whenever I come across one. Having said that, I like Bauers well enough, but I don't like them as much as I like Browning Baby, PSP-25, or PSA-25 pistols. (Note: PSP and PSA pistols were manufactured under license from Browning and had to meet all of FN's criteria; both PSP and PSA manufactured and exported Browning Baby pistols for FN at one point.)

Bauers and Frasers are made from castings. There are many grades of stainless steel; the quality of the grade of stainless used in Bauer (and Fraser) production can be suspect. The castings themselves can be of poor quality; see below for a cast line that has become a crack in a Bauer slide.
    upload_2021-1-30_9-19-8.png

After casting, the Bauer components had to be machined; and the quality of the finishing can vary greatly. Below is a side by side comparison of machine work inside the trigger guard; the lower pistol is clearly poorly done and the detents for the safety are missing entirely.
    upload_2021-1-30_9-25-16.png

Another example of poor machine finish. Baby/PSP/PSA never look like this.
    upload_2021-1-30_9-28-23.png

The quality of materials and finishing make Bauers "grittier" and a lot less smoother than a Baby/PSP/PSA pistol. Pick up a Bauer and rack the slide and pull the trigger, then repeat the process with a Baby/PSP/PSA. There is a very significant difference in the feel and operation.

As you said a good one is a good one, and I've seen enough to know there are some decent Bauers out there. I've also worked over a Bauer and improved the "gritty" feeling, but I've never been able to get it to the level of a Baby/PSP/PSA.

I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a Bauer, and you shouldn't either. Just go into it with both eyes open!

Smiles-N-Sunshine likes this.
  15. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Member

I put a few rounds through my Performance Center Smith & Wesson M&P40 Pro Series today. I love the fiber optic sights and it has a sweet trigger press, it’s a very accurate shooting pistol. I’m getting pretty darn old so I don’t like the sandpaper texture of the grip. On the plus side, it does exfoliate the dry skin on my hand and fingers. :D

upload_2021-1-30_11-31-17.png

16. OldOutlaw

Take at look at a S&W SW22 Victory pistol. Good price and super accurate! I ended up buying two last year.

Visper and ajole like this.
  17. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

LGS had a used one in the case 10 days ago (not sure of the price), along with a Canik for $229. This past Friday they were gone.

18. OldOutlaw

You really missed the boat on that SW22 Victory.

19. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I know :oops:, seems like it was close to $400 but can't be sure and now will never know :oops::oops: