Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1801 - 1820 of 1860 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I’ve been checking out several .22 pistols for her but just haven’t finalized it yet since money has been going other places lately. G44/MarkIV/Ruger SR22/Walther P22 are where I am at currently for her but haven’t made my mind up either way.
I have a GSG Firefly that is a real nice shooting 22LR. My nephew and my shooting buddy also have one and we all like them. Finicky with ammo and need to be clean, but that's how a lot of 22s are.

Feels really good in the hand. Use be the Sig Mosquito.

https://grabagun.com/bsearch/result...5efdbf0c59a-1628196318-0-gqNtZGzNAiKjcnBszQnO

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I’ve been checking out several .22 pistols for her but just haven’t finalized it yet since money has been going other places lately. G44/MarkIV/Ruger SR22/Walther P22 are where I am at currently for her but haven’t made my mind up either way.
My daughter and I spent a good bit testing 22 Semi-autos. She’s small, at 27 frequently gets mistaken for 12. Her hands are literally half the size of mine.

Back in 2012, we tried every 22 Semi-auto on the market. All of them except the Mk’s had failures. But those are too large and heavy for her. All of them were ammo picky.

So, she settled on the Walther P22 (upgraded by Walther, before they released the P22Q). It’s a great gun… with the right ammo. The trick is finding the “right” ammo for it. What’s crazy is not all P22’s like the same ammo. Mine, has only been flawless with Mini-Mags. I’ve tried every other 22LR I could find and couldn’t get more than three or four rounds through it without some issue. Mini-Mags… We have put over 7,000 rounds of Mini-mags through with zero issues.

Would I buy another one… nope. Not even the Q. Everyone I know, have talked to, have read about, has had the same results, just not always with the same ammo. Some people only have flawless shooting with white box, or green box or blazer, or whatever. But no one I know has ever had flawless shooting with more than one type.

If you want a full size semi 22, get an M&P S&W22. I love mine. It eats everything I put through it, without fail. 8,000 rounds of a mix of everything including the ammo the P22 choked on.

If I wanted a P22 sized semi, I would get the M&P 22 Compact. It has none of the problems the P22 does. I don’t own one, but I’ve put near a 1,000 rounds of all kinds of 22 through a friend’s. And they have near 12,000 through by themselves. Heck, I still may get one.

Reactions: mattman17

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
If you want a full size semi 22, get an M&P S&W22. I love mine.
Ditto. If you can find one. I have all three barrel sizes, love the guns. Great sights, very accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Took all three grandkids out to the BLM yesterday. Brought their 2 mp 15-22's and the Mossberg 715T. Also the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22.
The kids had a blast!! I set up targets out to about 35yds and everyone got a chance to test their skills. They were even hitting the little spinner target I brought. I've taken them out with the rifles a couple times, but this was the first time I let them shoot pistols. The 2 older ones liked the pistols but the younger ones hands are still a little small to get a good purchase. He still did well.
I spent a lot of time teaching them good muzzle control and " keep your booger hook off the bang switch". The youngest even got to experience clearing jams. The Mossberg had a couple of stovepipes. We were shooting Remmy Thunderbolts. The Walther had a couple stovepipipes too. Both times were with the youngest so might have been due to limp wristing.
The finale was when I brought out the RIA 1911 chambered in 22tcm and they all took a couple shots, even the youngest.
Oh, and my wife even shot the .357! A good and safe time was had by all.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
I need to blow off some 22lr this week, some of the Old Dad cache is pretty old and in the right guns it won't alarm the neighbors at all

Reactions: Dagwood

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Went out with a church group shooting mostly shotguns, ran the Ithaca a bit. Love that gun. One guy had a Browning BPS, same basic idea, same barrel length, same bottom eject, but holy cow, was that barrel heavy! I can put 4 in the tube, his only held 3, but he had a full rib on the thing. Can't imagine that added that much weight, so it has to be the barrel.

One good ol' boy had an old 870 Express he bought 15 years back...it would get hot and jam up. He said maybe he should clean it...for the first time ever!🤣
Another had a Ruger Standard like mine, but 5 years older, from his grandpa. Sweet shooter.
Let the group each take a few shots with the suppressed Victory pistol...they loved that.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
Yesterday
Took the DEAGLE 44 MAG over to an old friend's place, he's considering buying it. It ran very well, and we also shot some 22lr in 2 guns, a regular Henry and a poly 10/22. These both shot very nicely and I was shooting rifles lefty for the first time and was quite pleased with that. Just a little practice and I think I will be doing just about as good as right and won't have to fuss with a complex left eye & right hand arrangement.
The Henry was a bit awkward going southpaw

Reactions: Dagwood

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
This girl looks like she is about to have a lot of fun with a .45 Auto full automatic:

Smile Shoe Eyewear Air gun Luggage and bags

Reactions: Rerun and Dagwood

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,093 Posts
I gifted my senior nephew with a Marlin Model 60SB and 1050 rounds of Remington Golden 36 grn HP ammunition in hopes that he'll ask me out to the range soon.

I have a 10/22 that I want to unlimber.

eldar

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Shot my new Taurus TX-22 yesterday, what a sweet shooting pistol!!! They provide a loader in the box, but the 16rnd mags come with buttons on each side also.
Put 100rnds of CCI thru it without a hiccup, blew the red center out of the target shooting from 5 to 11yds at the indoor range. My buddy shot it too and is now thinking about getting one.

Felt great in my hand, easy to point, trigger is great. Afterwards I was talking to the RSO and he said he's trying to talk the owner into buying a few for their safety class.
I had ordered a stainless steel guide rod/recoil spring assy from Lakeline, it came in Monday and I installed it before I tried firing the OEM assy, had no issues. The original assy I'm sure works but I normally replace the guide rod on all my pistols if it's polymer, just a habit I've gotten in to.

If this continues this TX22 will become my favorite 22LR pistol. I love my Ruger Standard, but it's a heavy thing, the weight of the TX22 is ideal.

Only problem...it takes too long to load those 16rnd mags!!! The loader Taurus put in the package even made that easier/quicker. Also...only other thing they could do to improve it is if they were to make them self cleaning!!!

Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
Shot my new Taurus TX-22 yesterday, what a sweet shooting pistol!!! They provide a loader in the box, but the 16rnd mags come with buttons on each side also.
Put 100rnds of CCI thru it without a hiccup, blew the red center out of the target shooting from 5 to 11yds at the indoor range. My buddy shot it too and is now thinking about getting one.

Felt great in my hand, easy to point, trigger is great. Afterwards I was talking to the RSO and he said he's trying to talk the owner into buying a few for their safety class.
I had ordered a stainless steel guide rod/recoil spring assy from Lakeline, it came in Monday and I installed it before I tried firing the OEM assy, had no issues. The original assy I'm sure works but I normally replace the guide rod on all my pistols if it's polymer, just a habit I've gotten in to.

If this continues this TX22 will become my favorite 22LR pistol. I love my Ruger Standard, but it's a heavy thing, the weight of the TX22 is ideal.

Only problem...it takes too long to load those 16rnd mags!!! The loader Taurus put in the package even made that easier/quicker. Also...only other thing they could do to improve it is if they were to make them self cleaning!!!

View attachment 74249
I've seen a lot of good impressions on this one, and I really only have maybe 2 pistols in 22lr

Guess that means I think I need one

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I also have a Ruger Standard, a Colt Woodsman, GSG Firefly, GSG 1911, and a Taurus Thunder in 22LR.

The Ruger has always been my fav cause it was my very 1st pistol, but it's a bit heavy and we all know how these are to take down.

The Woodsman is nice, but a PITA to takedown to clean, primarily because there's a pin or screw (it's been a while since I fired it) that has to be removed and without good instructions I never bothered until recently. Plus it's old and hard to find parts for although I did manage to pick up a spare mag at a gun show a couple of years ago. Elegant looking.

I've tried to love my Firefly, and finally after about 1500rnds it's started to run smoothly, ammo picky for sure.

The GSG 1911 has been a good pistol also, just never cared for the 1911 grip safety plus the takedown to clean is not as simple as it could be. But it's a good shooter.

The Taurus seems to always have a failure to chamber or eject a round. I've been accused of limp wristing this pistol so I try to put a death grip on it when I shoot, but still get the occasional failure.

I've never had a 22LR pistol until the TX22 run 100rnds without some kind of hiccup. Who knows what will happen next time at the range but so far I'm very pleased. Need to run various kinds of ammo thru it before I declare it the GOAT!!! If it runs HP rounds then I know I have a winner. I stay away from hollow points on all the others.

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
Not today, but the other day, sighted in my savage axis in 6.5 creed. Husband bought me a new crossfire II and got it mounted for me. He's really good at boresighting by eyeball but we got it down to <1" groups at 100 yards. Also sighted in his birthday present, his Ruger Precision in 6.5 creed. Man that's a sweet shooter! Trigger like butter! The trigger on the axis, not so great, but it'll do. Pretty much point and shoot for a kill at any critter on the property.

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Not today, but the other day, sighted in my savage axis in 6.5 creed. Husband bought me a new crossfire II and got it mounted for me. He's really good at boresighting by eyeball but we got it down to <1" groups at 100 yards. Also sighted in his birthday present, his Ruger Precision in 6.5 creed. Man that's a sweet shooter! Trigger like butter! The trigger on the axis, not so great, but it'll do. Pretty much point and shoot for a kill at any critter on the property.
Is it not the Axis with the Accutrigger? No adjustments?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I shot my new to me Beretta PX4 Storm compact 9mm. Nice little shooter. Good at 7yds, ok at 10yds not so great at 15yds. Prolly me. I've been out of practice. The gun funtioned flawlessly though. The rotating barrel does seem to make a difference. Again, prolly just me. Shot 115gr federal and some 124grn Sig hp's. Shot the Xdm 10mm as well. What a beast! Gotta love 10mm.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Shot my Ruger Standard 22, Colt Woodsman 22, and Zastava M70 today.
Had some problem initially with the Ruger, once it got hot it ran fine. Think I need to clean the mags.
Woodsman...perfection.
The Zastava "Little Bee", shot fine but the shooter couldn't hit dead center for nothing 🥵 and here's what I don't understand.
I was using a target similar to this:

Rectangle Font Circle Symbol Number

I shot the Zastava at the center target at 7yds, I was all around the bullseye but never dead center and most were in the outer rings.

So I switch down to the lower left target, 1st shot right thru the center, couldn't have been more in the center.

So what's different??? Just about every time I use a target like this it's the same thing, I get better hits on the lower targets than the upper ones.

1801 - 1820 of 1860 Posts