Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1841 - 1860 of 1860 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Shot the new Girsan MC28 SAT today. These shots are from 21ft. Wanted to zero the factory red dot but I think it was pretty damn good out of the box. Was shooting 115gr fmj Blazer Brass. I did install some Traction grips because the texturing on the frame was very smooth.
First impressions... very good quality as I have grown to expect from Turkish firearms. Zero recoil or muzzle rise. Easy target acquisition with the red dot and easy to stay on target for follow up shots. My hold at 21ft was on bullseye.
My only criticism is this only came with one mag and Girsan mags are non existent. I did purchase a CZ 75 mag but I need to cut the mag catch slots a bit for it to catch fully. I'll let y'all know how that goes once I get around to doing it.
The MC28 is a S&W M&P 1.0 copy and some parts are interchangeable (not the Mags). 1.0 trigger kits supposedly fit fine, although I actually like the factory Girsan trigger better than the factory MP triggers.
All in all I was very impressed with this pistol. It's pretty sexy as well. Fun fun fun!

Green Fixture Art Rectangle Wood
Green Rectangle Art Font Gas
Blue Toolbox Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
The SIL and grandkids were in town, so we took his BLR and the Ruger out to finalize zero at 100 yards.

The Ruger has an old Leupold 3-9x40 on it, the Browning has a new Riton 6-24x50. I had sighted the Ruger in at 25 to get us on paper at 100, and he had set up the Browning.
Both guns were punching bullseyes within 3 shots. Then we bumped over to a 6” steel gong, and had no issues with that, so, he’s all set to hunt.

I really think his scope is a bit much for hunting, but I guess you can set it to 6X while hunting, and crank it up if you want to check something across the valley. It’s on the lowest rings that will work, but still high enough that he really needs a cheek riser. On a lever gun. I mean, I like the scope, but the reticle is a bit more technical than I’d like for hunting. It’s the Conquer scope.

I tried to sell him on a 4-16x44 Primal, with this reticle. But more is always better, don’t ya know.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
@ajole - your SIL might be a great guy - mine is - but when it comes to rifles anymore, everyone is Chris Kyle. Except for groundhogs, I still favor the 4X with a plain crosshair. In your AO, maybe a 3X9, as I think it's more open than here. Most places I hunt, 75 yards is a long shot

Reactions: retread and ajole

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Took my Arisaka Type 38, Romanian M44 Mosin, PSA AR15, and Rossi RS22 to the range last Friday.

All shot well, but I never put a hole in the target with the Arisaka. I forgot that it shoots high at 50yds, the lowest setting on the rear sight is 500 meters. Guess I'll have to go back and try again.

Wood Shotgun Composite material Air gun Musical instrument

M44 has some serious recoil, my new shoulder hurt for 2 days

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory String instrument String instrument accessory

The PSA AR15 ran great too. The foregrip is larger than that of my Ruger 556 but it's just a matter of getting used to

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

The Rossi RS22 is a sweet little rifle, almost like it better than my 10/22

Air gun Trigger Grey Wood Gun barrel

I have to get better command of using a scope. I just have a hard time zeroing them. I shot better with it off the rifle. The RS will take the Mossberg Plinkster 25rnd mag (basically same gun) and can quickly throw lead down range.

I'm going to try slugging the bore of the Arisaka, just want to see how much wear it has accumulated over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
What did I shoot today? Nothing, not a thing. I haven't been shooting in a couple months. I've been cleaning my pistols just so I can feel connected to them. "I've got to get my groove back"!

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
So, I couldn't take it. I was driving by my local indoor range that I used to be a member of a couple years ago and I went in, signed up again for a monthly membership and hit the range with the Steyr. It really was a whim, so I only had the 2 17rd mags that I was carrying with me. It felt great!
The trapezoidal sights took some adjusting to. It was a little difficult to pick up the front sight. I eventually found my hold. 6 o'clock. Shot one mag at 7yds and the other at 5. I think I'm gonna like it just fine. 2 mags was kinda a tease. Good thing I paid for the membership, otherwise It would've cost me 25 bucks for 10 mins of fun. The membership comes out to about a dollar a day. I think I'll be able to get my money's worth. Fun fun fun!

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,177 Posts
There ya go Dag, good to get out. Especially if you haven't been out in awhile!!

Happy to hear you had a blast though and at least you got to see how those sights work for ya.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
So I took the new to me Canik Combat Elite along with my little Keltec P32 to the indoor range yesterday.
I was pleasantly surprised with the little .32. The last time I took it out I seem to recall some reliability issues. This time I ran 50 rounds of Aguila 71gr and never had a fail to fire. The only thing was when I loaded 10+1 the one chambered fired, but failed to eject. And twice after maybe twenty rds the slide locked open on last round. The P32 doesn’t have lrho.
the Canik was amazing. The trigger is almost too nice. A couple times I would fire like a double tap un intentionally. Just need some more practice with it. The other thing about the Canik, it was ejecting hot brass right onto my neck. Not cool. Gotta figure that out. But a good time was had by all. Fun fun fun!

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
So I took the Canik to the range again today along with my Steyr M9A2 and a Star Firestar M45 I recently acquired.
Started with 50 rds of Sig 230gr fmj’s in the Firestar. Perfect. Not one issue. i was shooting it very well. Super impressed for a firearm that has been out of production since the nineties. Really love it.
next, the Steyr. Excellent trigger as well. Just took a few rounds again to figure out the hold with the Trap sights, but man, I think it’s more accurate than the Canik even.
then the Canik. no issues this time with the brass flying back at me. No issues with un intentional double taps Either. Just a great shooter. I was switching back and forth between the Canik and the Steyr. Both amazing. Both triggers are excellent. Not sure if I could choose between the 2.
at least I’m able to readily find mags for the Steyr.
all in all, a great outing. 150 rds goes real quick! Lol

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
...yesterday Sonny-Boi came over and brought a few things to try out the new range.
FNX45 Tactical, Canik TP9SFx, and his Aero Precision AR build. I brought out the AR12 and my G30 in 45acp.
Gotta say, I REALLY LIKE how that Canik shoots, and the one Sonny-Boi got included the Vortex Viper optic, 3 mags, etc. All for about the price of a Glunk, and it's got a
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Recreation Gun accessory
great trigger!

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,014 Posts
...yesterday Sonny-Boi came over and brought a few things to try out the new range.
FNX45 Tactical, Canik TP9SFx, and his Aero Precision AR build. I brought out the AR12 and my G30 in 45acp.
Gotta say, I REALLY LIKE how that Canik shoots, and the one Sonny-Boi got included the Vortex Viper optic, 3 mags, etc. All for about the price of a Glunk, and it's got a View attachment 76128 great trigger!
Told you

1841 - 1860 of 1860 Posts