Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1861 - 1880 of 1897 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
So I took the ATI FXH hybrid 1911 to the range today. It’s been 5 years since I’ve shot this firearm. From the look of it, I may have been the last person to fire this one. The guy I sold it to never shot it I’m sure, and the guy I bought it from said he never shot it.
consequently I’m not sure it was ever broke in. It never failed to fire, but it did fail to go all the way in to battery several times. I would have to smack the rear of the slide. A couple times I just had to eject the round and rack the next one.
It did it with the MecGar mag and with the Wilson Combat mag. It also dit it with the federal 230 ball and the Blazer brass 230 ball. I shot a box of each.
I may need to just shoot it more, or maybe a new recoil spring. Either way, right now it’s kinda disappointing. I still dig it, but I need to get it reliable.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,171 Posts
So I took the ATI FXH hybrid 1911 to the range today. It’s been 5 years since I’ve shot this firearm. From the look of it, I may have been the last person to fire this one. The guy I sold it to never shot it I’m sure, and the guy I bought it from said he never shot it.
consequently I’m not sure it was ever broke in. It never failed to fire, but it did fail to go all the way in to battery several times. I would have to smack the rear of the slide. A couple times I just had to eject the round and rack the next one.
It did it with the MecGar mag and with the Wilson Combat mag. It also dit it with the federal 230 ball and the Blazer brass 230 ball. I shot a box of each.
I may need to just shoot it more, or maybe a new recoil spring. Either way, right now it’s kinda disappointing. I still dig it, but I need to get it reliable.
Clean the shit out of it. Might also be a weak spring. Clean it first and try again. Then replace the spring

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
I went ahead and purchased a 17# flat wire recoil spring, guide rod, stainless plug and bushing from Wilson Combat. Hopefully that does the trick. I’ll keep y’all posted.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
Took the American Rimfire out and zeroed the CenterPoint 4-16x40 scope, it shoots nice, gotta get some groups on it soon.

The Marlin shot well too, ran through 3 tubes full without issue. The silly things are just so accurate and so easy to point. Every time I do this, I think, “dang, this gun is nice, and I don’t have one of this specific type in my collection….” But it’s perfect for him. Nephew will be happy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Took the American Rimfire out and zeroed the CenterPoint 4-16x40 scope, it shoots nice, gotta get some groups on it soon.

The Marlin shot well too, ran through 3 tubes full without issue. The silly things are just so accurate and so easy to point. Every time I do this, I think, “dang, this gun is nice, and I don’t have one of this specific type in my collection….” But it’s perfect for him. Nephew will be happy.
What ammo do you plan on testing I am very interested in your results

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
What ammo do you plan on testing I am very interested in your results
I don’t use target ammo. My range box has Federal blue box bulk, Aguila cheap stuff, some Blazer LRN, and maybe a few rounds of some Federal suppressor ready 45 grain loads. If none of them groups, I’ll try something else. Norma TAC, Thunderbolts, Federal Auto Match, or some OLD CCI Mini Mags. Still got a few boxes of the old Wolf Match that was the secret weapon a decade back, it was made by SK Lapua. Now it’s made by Eley, so if you see it at a decent price, buy a lot of it.

I have high hopes, it was smacking’ the little popper I used to zero.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,880 Posts
@ajole I still have a good bunch of ELEY Target, Match, etc. which was bought during the Sandy Hook scare. It was very expensive before that shooting, and regular 22lr was flying off the shelves, but I had the good luck of finding this before people started grabbing it, just as the price gouging started. $6+ a box made me look pretty smart when the regular 12lr went up to $5 and higher. Saw it as high as $10/50 for standard 22lr :eek:

I also went out back TWICE this week, shooting a G43x on one day, (plus a few thru the HC) and a Springfield Armory Hellcat on another day, then the G43x again for good measure.
Found that 9mm NATO is OK in the G43x but a bit snappier in the HC. So for the second round, I loaded up my bulk box of perFecta and shot over 90 rounds of that. My best groups were with the HC and perFecta, but I only shot like 29 thru the G43x after several mags in the HC.
It's easy to tell the difference between a subcompact like the G43x and the HC, but the worst case (HC & NATO) is not too bad. About like shooting a stout 10mm load in a full size or maybe a G29, which I haven't done yet... but planning on converting my G30 to 10mm possibly. The good news is that a micro 9 is not bad at all, clearly not a range toy but certainly not too difficult to get some practice with. Using the old, weaker than WWB "perFecta" was actually pretty pleasant shooting. The Romeo Zero rds still needs some tweaks but I'm closer than I was originally :LOL: it was so far off I just shut it off the first session. The round front sight and u-notch rear sight are unique among my handguns, so it takes some adjusting.

I really need to research how to sight in an rds on a handgun, like optimum distance etc. When I co-witnessed, it was close but when I tried just using the dot at 8 yards, it was off. But I'm still getting used to the HC trigger also. 👨‍🔧

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
Found that 9mm NATO is OK ….
That is a meaningless statement. 9mm NATO comes in about 47 different flavors, some hot, some not. You have to specify which version of 9mm NATO, and maybe the weight and velocity, because that varies quite a bit as well, all while remaining NATO spec.

I really need to research how to sight in an rds on a handgun, like optimum distance etc. When I co-witnessed, it was close but when I tried just using the dot at 8 yards, it was off. But I'm still getting used to the HC trigger also. 👨‍🔧
Optimum distance is your theoretical bad guy distance. 7-10 yards should do.

Unless you have a gun that you can just point and hit people sized things at 7-10, (which you should) then you can zero at 25 and use the red dot for longer shots, while learning and understanding your hold over/under at shorter distance if you’re trying to make bullseyes at 10 for some reason, or whatever.

If you are shooting 3” under the red dot at ten using your 25 yard zero….just point at the top of the head, or between the collar bones. If it shoots 3” over your dot, just hold on the chin, or the top of the belly.

If it’s a hunting gun, you obviously change that up and zero at your expected 75 or 100 or however many yards.

And forget about cowitness. It’s meaningless, really.

If the red dot is zeroed, and the irons are zeroed….just use one of the two, preferably the dot. If the red dot dies, switch to the irons….which are still zeroed; and there will be no dot to mess with.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
I took my ATI FXH 1911 back to the range today. I had installed a Wilson Combat 17# flat wire spring/guide rod combo with a new SS plug and wanted to see if it made a difference.

the first few mags I still had a couple times the round didn’t fully go into battery. Istill had to smack the slide. Then, after a few mags full it started working perfect. The last 50rds or so ran great.

It’s a bit early to tell, but it may have sorted itself out. finally broke in? A couple more trips to the range will tell.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,880 Posts
That is a meaningless statement. 9mm NATO comes in about 47 different flavors, some hot, some not. You have to specify which version of 9mm NATO, and maybe the weight and velocity, because that varies quite a bit as well, all while remaining NATO spec.

Optimum distance is your theoretical bad guy distance. 7-10 yards should do.

Unless you have a gun that you can just point and hit people sized things at 7-10, (which you should) then you can zero at 25 and use the red dot for longer shots, while learning and understanding your hold over/under at shorter distance if you’re trying to make bullseyes at 10 for some reason, or whatever.

If you are shooting 3” under the red dot at ten using your 25 yard zero….just point at the top of the head, or between the collar bones. If it shoots 3” over your dot, just hold on the chin, or the top of the belly.

If it’s a hunting gun, you obviously change that up and zero at your expected 75 or 100 or however many yards.

And forget about cowitness. It’s meaningless, really.

If the red dot is zeroed, and the irons are zeroed….just use one of the two, preferably the dot. If the red dot dies, switch to the irons….which are still zeroed; and there will be no dot to mess with.
The cowitness is just a starting point, so I can get the windage right. Now I intend to zero the elevation as you described. Thanks for clarifying how to do it! Next I'm gonna zero in the Sig X5 LEGION Tungsten Framed big-boy gun 🔫

Reactions: ajole

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,880 Posts
I took my ATI FXH 1911 back to the range today. I had installed a Wilson Combat 17# flat wire spring/guide rod combo with a new SS plug and wanted to see if it made a difference.

the first few mags I still had a couple times the round didn’t fully go into battery. Istill had to smack the slide. Then, after a few mags full it started working perfect. The last 50rds or so ran great.

It’s a bit early to tell, but it may have sorted itself out. finally broke in? A couple more trips to the range will tell.
Tear it down, see it the slide has resistance, without a spring... then polish TF outta the slide rails maybe? But it sounds like you might have solved it. Polymer frame and 1911 slide rails, sounds like a formula for dragggg..dragging... draggest? 🧐

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Took the 3 grandkids to the BLM today to go shoot. We took their 15/22’s and the Mossberg 715. All ran great. The kids were hitting the steel 22 flip target at about 25yds pretty good with iron sights. The one 15/22 with a red dot ran fine but the battery was dead on the dot.

I took the Walther P22 and the SR22 pistols and both ran great with the Thunderbolt but the Federal Automatch was problematic. Those pistols seem to love the crappy ammo.

shot the Canik Elite Combat with the new Sightmark optic on it. Turned it on, took the first shot and lost the dot. Didn’t want to mess with it while I had the kids so put it away. When I got home I turned it on and it was working fine. Need to take her to the indoor range and try again.

lastly, I picked up a new Keltec RDB Survival yesterday. I gave it an initial puff and buff last night and took first shots today. I had a mag already loaded up with Tula steel case .223 so I figured that would be a good test. The second to the last round failed to fire. I ejected it and the primer had a nice dimple on it but no bang. I’m gonna blame the ammo. I fired the last round and the bolt locked all the way back. the side charging handle didn’t feel right. I dropped the mag, looked in the mag well, checked the CH again. It still didn’t seem right. I thought it broke. Again, put it away and just continued shooting 22’s with the kids.

got home, put it on the bench and checked the owners manual. Pulled the charging handle all the way back and low and behold, the bolt slammed home, all was right with the world and I felt like an idiot. it functioned exactly as it was supposed to. Being a Bullpup I just wasn’t familiar with the operation. What a dummy.

I think I’m really gonna dig the RDB. 26” overall length, chambered in 5.56…what’s not to love. Ultimately a great time was had by all. I still feel like a dummy..

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,880 Posts
...being a Bullpup I just wasn’t familiar with the operation. What a dummy.

I think I’m really gonna dig the RDB. 26” overall length, chambered in 5.56…what’s not to love. Ultimately a great time was had by all. I still feel like a dummy..
Don't feel bad, it's a new platform for you, everyone had a good time, all are safe and secure and back home! It's all part of the learning process, of course!

🤩

Reactions: Dagwood

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I put a new rimfire scope on my 10/22 and finally got it out Saturday and zeroed it. Now I have to get my 22-250 re-zeroed and check zero the rest.

·
Premium Member
36,857 Posts
I put a new rimfire scope on my 10/22 and finally got it out Saturday and zeroed it. Now I have to get my 22-250 re-zeroed and check zero the rest.
Which scope? We need details, man!
Funny thing, my Takedown has a SeeAll sight on it. Fits in the bag easy, no batteries, low drag, old school feeling in use.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Took the Keltec RDB-S to the range yesterday To sight in the Sig red dot. Shot 10 rds of brass 55gr out of the 10rd p mag with no issues. Then I loaded the 30 rd p mag and took 2 shots and on the third had a double fire. I cleared the live rd in the chamber but there was a spent case stuck on the end of the bolt under the extractor. I had to take the rifle apart to pry it out. I put it back together. Loaded the mag, chambered the next round and “click”. Cleared it, chambered another and “click”.
at this point I packed it in pulled out The PX4 Storm and fired about 75 trouble free rounds through it and went home.
once home I took down the RDB and realized that the spent primer from the casing I dis lodged was still stuck on the firing pin. I removed it by removing the firing pin. I put it all back together. The firing pin looked OK, but I think I’m going to send the firearm back to KT so they can fix it. I’ll f/u later Once I get her back. Bummed for sure..

• Sad
Reactions: Visper

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
Took the Keltec RDB-S to the range yesterday To sight in the Sig red dot. Shot 10 rds of brass 55gr out of the 10rd p mag with no issues. Then I loaded the 30 rd p mag and took 2 shots and on the third had a double fire. I cleared the live rd in the chamber but there was a spent case stuck on the end of the bolt under the extractor. I had to take the rifle apart to pry it out. I put it back together. Loaded the mag, chambered the next round and “click”. Cleared it, chambered another and “click”.
at this point I packed it in pulled out The PX4 Storm and fired about 75 trouble free rounds through it and went home.
once home I took down the RDB and realized that the spent primer from the casing I dis lodged was still stuck on the firing pin. I removed it by removing the firing pin. I put it all back together. The firing pin looked OK, but I think I’m going to send the firearm back to KT so they can fix it. I’ll f/u later Once I get her back. Bummed for sure..
That sucked... I would send it back too. Least the Px4 performed as it should!!

Never shot a RDB-S, I have done the RDB. They are a little different correct? The RDB was kinda fun for a bullpup.

It should all get worked out though, Keltec is a class company and will fix any issue.

I had a kinda crappy day myself. I went to shoot my EG AKM with PK-A Venezuela red dot. Everything was going great, was a decent day besides it being 98 outside... but all of a sudden poof, red dot off... turned the knob, still nada. No biggie right, I brought spare AA's (in my range bag). I start to take of the battery cap off and I hear a pop... not good... battery apparently decided to take a crap all over said battery cap.

Took battery out and chucked in then put rifle away and fired a few boxes through my Hellcat then went home.

Well can't get it to work... I did put a piece of foil between the spring and the battery to rig it and got it to work but apparently the battery was slow leaking all over the cover for a bit and all sorts of corrosion on it... gotta see if I can get a new cap.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Dang! That’s a bummer. I had a sightmark rd that I bought on sale at Cabelas. Worked fine on the bench. On the range nope. Had to take it back to Cabelas. They didn’t have a replacement so at least I got my money back. No I need to find something else for my Canik.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
Dang! That’s a bummer. I had a sightmark rd that I bought on sale at Cabelas. Worked fine on the bench. On the range nope. Had to take it back to Cabelas. They didn’t have a replacement so at least I got my money back. No I need to find something else for my Canik.
Is that RMR or RMSC? I may have a few suggestions for you that won't break he bank lol.

As for the Sightmark, I have a few. The "I can't afford a EOtech" and 2 pistol RDS. All are their "M-Spec" that I picked up on sale. Never had an issue with them, sucks yours took a crap... I have had mine about a year so if they did it would have to be warranty claim on them...

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
Dang! That’s a bummer.
Yeah... Contacted Belomo - lets just say they can work on getting me a spare but they are very busy at the moment... really? who woulda known lol.

1861 - 1880 of 1897 Posts