Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting here something to keep in the nightstand as well as to carry because of her job. I was thinking of a .380? What does everyone else's wives carry or have?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Got my wife the .380 a few months back. It shoots good and she really likes it. She does have a bit of a struggle to rack the slide but she can do it. I do however wish I had bought her the 9mm. Cheaper and eaisier to find ammo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just bought my wife the charter ams pink lady ( she's a fashionista!) she has a hard time with auto slides so we got her this revolver for self defense. Its an awesome gun!!! I want one for myself but not pink!!! If you wanna get her a semi auto take her to the gun shop and make sure she can rack it back if you havent already. my wife is dainty so for her go to gun I feel much better about her having a revolver.

Here it is
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53830.html

This gun only weighs 12 oz.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm thinking of getting here something to keep in the nightstand as well as to carry because of her job. I was thinking of a .380? What does everyone else's wives carry or have?
What I would do is find her a range that offer instructors, buy her some lessons, and ask the instructor to bring some of their guns along, also try to have her lessons done at a range that rents out guns, and let her try as many as possible, and let her select what she wants to use. I would never buy my wife a gun or a dress, I know my taste in both are not hers, and that's got to be trouble for me.

My wife doesn't carry, she uses my old Ruger .38 for home defense, and after seeing her talent with that gun, I will never make that woman mad if she's got a loaded firearm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm considering that charter for my wife.They have a lefty model too.I think that would help her a lot.I saw the lefty model(non-pink) on gunbroker for $275.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What I would do is find her a range that offer instructors, buy her some lessons, and ask the instructor to bring some of their guns along, also try to have her lessons done at a range that rents out guns, and let her try as many as possible, and let her select what she wants to use. I would never buy my wife a gun or a dress, I know my taste in both are not hers, and that's got to be trouble for me.
Thank you thank you thank you. Every time this question comes up, people give a million different guns and the reason for them.
Which in the end means nothing. What is important is that your wife, girlfriend, daughter, son, brother, whatever can handle the caliber and is happy with the gun and is accurate. The only way to know that is to find a range that will let you rent many guns and try as many as it takes to find the gun that fits you, her whoever.
Don't presume to make the choice for the person, if you want them to like shooting, give them a choice and let them pick their own gun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you. Every time this question comes up, people give a million different guns and the reason for them.
Which in the end means nothing. What is important is that your wife, girlfriend, daughter, son, brother, whatever can handle the caliber and is happy with the gun and is accurate. The only way to know that is to find a range that will let you rent many guns and try as many as it takes to find the gun that fits you, her whoever.
Don't presume to make the choice for the person, if you want them to like shooting, give them a choice and let them pick their own gun.
That's my stock answer for anyone asking "what gun should I buy" anyone, I don't presume my likes and dislikes of any firearm are exactly how others feel about them. The gun that I absolutely love, someone else would hate. The ones I hate, someone else would love. It's all personal preference. I might tell someone what caliber I would advise for whatever purpose they're planning a buy for, but never a certain model or type of weapon.

I was lucky, my wife's preference for a self defense weapon was already in the house, an older Ruger revolver in .38, she was familiar with the operation of one from her first husband having revolvers. And she doesn't feel comfortable trying to rack the slide of a semi-auto.

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
I bought a 380 for my wife....haven't had a chance to let her shoot it yet unfortunately though. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
lol..........same question......lol....same as the ammo and WalMart questions....lol.....lol.......

·
Registered
258 Posts
The gun my Wife decided on after a lot of searching was the Bersa/Firestorm .380, she liked the way it felt and the size for carry. She shoots it well with either hand after only two trips to the range. She had a little trouble figuring out the slide at first but practice got her past that. My 11yo daughter also loves to shoot this gun and after 3 mags was accurate enough I wouldn't want her shooting my way.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
My wife is disabled so I got her a small .25 pistol. She likes it but can't rack it. No chance she could rack the C9 and every shot is limp wrested. She stole my .357 Ruger revolver w/6" b and loads .38 +P JHP in it and can shoot it and hang on to it. (modified rubber grips) (she won't give it back) OK, need to get her one for herself so I can get mine back!! LOL

Point is, as others have said, it has to fit HER not what you think she can use. She needs to try it out and be comfortable. I have a really hard time curbing my enthusiasm when she is looking at guns and just let her do it. We have a gun shop about 20 miles away with a range in the back. We can try the used guns before we buy. NICE !!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My mother is a wicked shot with her BERSA Thunder .380, and she also likes her NAA Mini .22 Mag. Both of which she stole from rimfirehunter after a range outing. LOL :)
Most fellas give their ladies a .44 mag (or similar) pistol at the gun range as a joke and end up having them become scared of shooting a pistol... which may be funny, but takes a lot of convincing to get them to shoot any gun at the next range outing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My mother is a wicked shot with her BERSA Thunder .380, and she also likes her NAA Mini .22 Mag. Both of which she stole from rimfirehunter after a range outing. LOL :)
Most fellas give their ladies a .44 mag (or similar) pistol at the gun range as a joke and end up having them become scared of shooting a pistol... which may be funny, but takes a lot of convincing to get them to shoot any gun at the next range outing.
But, those guys spend a lot of time sleeping on the couch, and frankly tend to piss me off. I fail to find the humor in hading someone a firearm that's going to possibly hurt them, or scare them. I enjoy the fact my wife likes to shoot, that we share a common interest. Handing a woman a high powered pistol to shoot to simply laugh at them shows the childish mindset of the person who did it. And they would never earn my respect.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Maybe one like this if you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My wife started out with a P22 which she still has and as of a short time ago she also has a Ruger LCP. I just orderd her the slip on grips and magazine grip extensions for her LCP, should be in next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts