What do you think about hickok45 doing a hi point review

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rippinryno, Jun 2, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

The other one got closed, after i got dismantled by some of the cronies. Anyway, let's keep this one clean and on topic, my intentions are to send hickok a message with a link to this thread so he can get an idea as to what us enthusiasts think about a review.

We don't need a review, we know they're good firearms and have they're niche, but would be nice to see him add it to his collection of reviews.

AS i mentioned in previous post i sent him a message last year and he replied saying they were hoping to do one over the winter or the spring. One thing i'm worried about with hickok45 is that he is starting to sell out. He is really using his channel to advertise gunsmiths, companies, etc. His most recent video of the smith and wesson revolver takes a couple minutes at the end to advertise a gunsmithing school. It's turning into regular TV before our eyes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Opening the ball like this never works out well.

You'd have done better with this thread to not to have written the first paragraph and started with the third paragraph.

Helpful eldar

3. rippinryno

What do you think about a hi point video from hickok eldar?

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

All for it!

Would really like to see Hickok run all four calibers in the Pistols AND Carbines in one video.

eldar

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Questioning him as a sellout, probably won't help your cause either..... Helpful tip from the Crony patrol...

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

As long as he doesn't create a conflict of interest by reviewing products from companies which are sponsoring him, I don't see a problem.

Doing these sort of things isn't free. The viewers aren't paying for it and the money's got to come from somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Usually the folk donating the weapon(s) also helps out with the Ammunition...

eldar

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Just hypothetical:
    What if.....what if he dislikes the HP's and he makes a scorching review?
    What then?
    Do we really need it "sanctified" by a YouTube channel?
    Are we that insecure?

9. rippinryno

hickok is sponsored by federal he has no issues with amunnition.
    it's more than free, it's actually paid by youtube. Youtube pays very well, based on viewers and subscribers. The only problem i see is that he takes time out of his videos, like several minutes, to allow a company to advertise (this is new, he's never done this in the past). I don't have a problem with federal giving him ammo and buds supplying him guns (and him taking 30 seconds to mention it), but it will get annoying if, in every video, he allows several minutes for a company to advertise. This lastest one i believe was an unpaid ad for the gunsmithing company. I am certain hickok45 did not take payment, and for the good of the sport allowed them some time on his channel, that's fine, but i can see this becoming a problem in the future if he allows it in every video.
    I'm not aware of anybody donating weapons and also sending ammunition, this is a given that federal takes care of his ammo needs.

what do you think about hickok doing a hp video? seems you've ignored the intention of this post in order to give your opinion on my opinion. let's stay on topic as i mentioned in the orignal post.

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So you want to send him a link to a thread that starts out with you whining about your treatment here and calling him a sell out while complaining that his vids are "turning into regular TV before our eyes"? Great strategy there genius. I'm sure it'll endear you to him.

This thread is doomed from the start. When it dies a horrible death please reread your opening post before blaming others.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It would have been better if you didn't call out us cronies again. Could care less if he did a review or not. but what do I know with all my typos and a liar to boot :busted::busted::busted::busted:

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

How much ammunition do they give him?

Youtube pays for his range maintenance? His time? His gas to and from? His FFL Transfer Fees? His video equipment? His consumables and any other equipment he needs?

Then he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart for a company he personally believes it. I don't see this as a problem.

Why is it a given? I don't follow the dude so I have no idea about what's going on for him out of the 3 or 4 vids of his I've watched. How much ammo to Fed. give him?

I think I kinda don't care. I'm past the point where celebrity endorsements mean much to me. Heck, a good review might make Hi Point's harder to get. I hope he does one and it's bad so that it makes the demand less. Same for Kel Tec products. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I was always under the impression that he shoots on his own land and he's got the range in his backyard.

And the other thread would have been opened in a couple of days when the ADD has kicked in and everybody is chasing butterflies again.

14. rippinryno

and then some.....Hickok45 makes around 10-15k a month on youtube, do you think that would cover the expenses you describe? In 2014 he made 180k from youtube. Hickok himself is retired, however his son, John, makes a living doing this channel full time. Also, the range was already there, it's a hobby, much of this stuff is already there, hickok has a huge arsenal of guns and that is where it all started, now he is sponsored so not much comes out of pocket. It is his time, but he enjoys it so it's not a problem.

yup

if you followed you would know it's a given. federal supplies him as much ammunition as his heart desires, that is why it's a given that federal supplies ammo for every video as i've mentioned a few times now. If you wanted to know how much ammo fed gives him, you could watch every video (there are thousands) and count every round, then probably multiply that by 2 since he never shoots all the ammo pictured in the vids.

moona, since you care less about my topic in this thread, why did you insist on posting?

I agree, a good review might raise the demand, however, many shooters do go to hickok anytime they are looking at a gun. For the most part he is unbias. He will show you and explain to you the features of the guns, he will give his input and base it on his personal preference but he never just flames the firearms. Generally he presents them without bias and basically just gives a full description and shooting experience of the firearms. He will give what he thinks are the negatives and the positives. That is why people love him, for his unbias reviews that thoroughly describe and show the guns. If you're int he market for a gun, it's easy to watch hickok shoot it and explain the features to get a better grasp of what you're interested in. Another great thing about hickok is that he really preaches gun safety and shows you what not to do in an educational way. He has many videos explaining gun safety and showing things that new shooters may not know. Such as, not putting your hand next to a revolver cylinder while firing. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU[/ame]

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I keep posting cause you keep starting crap. Just my opinion and you asked a question so I answered.

16. rippinryno

thank you for your answer of "Could care less if he did a review or not", it was very productive.

i find it odd that people take offense to my first statement (same people who jumped on my last thread), i didn't lay blame, i simply explained why i'm making a new thread. It is important to describe the reason for this thread and the way i'm hoping it will go so I put that information in the first paragraph. If you're offended by that, i'm sorry, but my intentions are to stay on topic, and the first sentence is the reason i started a new thread.

17. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    While calling everyone cronies was hardly productive, I still want to see him blast some steel and colored-water bottles with a Hi Point. He is an amazing shot, and watching him push his demo weapons to the limits of their accuracy potential certainly is enjoyable.

18. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It would have been far and away better that You had learned a lesson from the previous thread and not start this thread with more of the same nonsense.

eldar

19. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm more offended by your liberal use of the edit button. Changing attacking everyone to just Moonzy was a good one. But really? Your intentions aside, completely insulting the guy you're trying to impress was probably a bad start.

20. lsi1

lsi1 Member

so what your saying is your afraid he's selling out? the companies he's selling out to won't let him do a hipoint video because the hipoint would then take most of their market share away.

The man started sharing his hobby with us on youtube years ago out of his own pocket. now he's figured out a way to get paid for doing what he enjoys. shouldn't we all be that lucky?

if federal were my ammo sponsor i'd only shoot half on camera too because someday they won't sponsor him anymore and he'll be buying all his own ammo again a little stockpile is only smart.