What do you think I should do?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by 04cubby, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 04cubby

04cubby Member

My .380 and the .40 I just got not to long ago are both like this. Noticed when I was at he range that the slides on both of these pistols were rough when racking them. Upon inspection today I find both of these slides are somewhat coming apart. I'm wondering if I could dremel this out or just send them both to MOM. Here are some pictures the best I could get them to focus.

Attached Files:

2. 04cubby

04cubby Member

The 2nd and 3rd picture show it best. Kinda like it is peeling

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Their guarantee is awesome. I'd send it back. Why take a chance of voiding the warranty by doing it yourself :foilhat:

4. pghrich

pghrich Member

kinda bad luck to get two guns to have the same thing, next i have mine apart i will look inside, if memory serves me right i remember that area where the striker is is very rough and scratched up looking. may be normal? as said they have the best , the best ,customer service,.

5. 04cubby

04cubby Member

Don't get me wrong, both of these pistols were bought used.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, those aren't dangerous, but they are breaking down. Could run for another 5000, or could let go tomorrow.

I rarely say this, but I'd send them in for service.:)

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would send them both in to MoM.
    Not because I think there may be something wrong, but just because better safe than sorry. I have bought many of my HP's used that look like yours or worse. Most I haven't sent back, BUT I don't shoot thousands of rounds with mine either?

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    If you shot them all several thousand times,
    you would need an ammo budget like DHS!!! :eek:
    2 Billion rounds of 40 S&W On The WAY!!!

9. 04cubby

04cubby Member

Alright I will be calling MOM in the morning and will send them in just to be safe

10. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Both of my carbines had slag hanging off around the steel inserts. I've never seen a HP without some slag.
    I peel down what is loose with a razor and it either snaps off or I file it off and polish it smooth. I'd rather take care of it before it snags on the sear or the magazine, or breaks off and jams in the action somewhere. It's not difficult and doesn't take long.
    But if you don't do it, it will more than likely just wear itself through use.
    In my photo, the left side of the channel is done, and the right side still has slag peeled down.

Attached Files:

11. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    I love my hipoints but you get what you pay for.. Sending a gun in is a hassle if you do it though a FFL.. I'm not saying this but I've heard if you mail it to them yourself.. Not knowing any better wink wink and not mentioning it's a gun can be alot cheaper

12. Get caught doing that and you'll never take another shower alone. IMHO it's just not worth the chance.

I now have two FFLs who will do it for me as a courtesy. I bring in the handgun all boxed up in an unsealed flat rate box with postage and address. They verify the gun and serial number, enter it in their bound book, seal the box, and it goes out with the postal carrier.

13. That's the way to do it.Have it all packaged and ready to go except for sealing.The USPS provides free Priority Mail flat rate boxes.If it fits,it ships regardless of weight.Order online and the mailman will deliver them to you at no cost.You can print out your own pre-paid shipping label at home.

2 handguns should fit in one of these with room for padding.
    https://store.usps.com/store/browse...ryId=prepaid-priority-mail&productId=P_PPFRB2

14. MachoMelvin

My FFL will ship my handguns back to MoM for $20. But hey, I value my HP collection. Now, if I felt my gun was a worthless piece of ykw, I wouldn't waste my time or $$$?

15. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Moonz is an amorer I'll have him read the thread to see if there is a way to fix this without sending it to mom. I'm nice like that!

16. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

He said send it back

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    You are allowed to send to the manufacture and back again with no FFL. I and others have done it with Ruger many times. I am sure Kel-tec, Skyy, Taurus, S&W, etc are all the same way. When mine was returned I went to the FedX location and picked it up.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Yep no FFL required when sending it in for service. Sent my SCCY in twice via UPS. ID and signature required to pick up.

19. MachoMelvin

USPS will only accept a handgun from a FFL. USPS will accept a long gun from a regular citizen to return ship back to the manufacturer.
    I have never shipped a gun via UPS or Fed Ex.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Not a handgun through USPS; Private Carrier only. And it must be declared to rhe carrier.

Longarm through USPS, I believe is ok but I don't know the specifics.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)