Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered what this round is actually used for. Does anyone have one of these, and do you hunt with it, shoot trap, HD?

I was thinking of getting a .410/.22 combo someday and I just thought I'd get some imput

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Use mine for squirrel and rabbit hunting. Also makes a fine snake gun.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Works really well hunting squirrels... more forgiving than a .22, wont disintegrate them like a 12 gauge. Snakes, rats, doves, I have used a .410 on all of 'em. If ammo wasn't so expensive for them, I would get another one. Still thinking seriously about a Judge, though.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Works really well hunting squirrels... more forgiving than a .22, wont disintegrate them like a 12 gauge. Snakes, rats, doves, I have used a .410 on all of 'em. If ammo wasn't so expensive for them, I would get another one. Still thinking seriously about a Judge, though.
love the judge....

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
i dont like the judge or the idea of a judge. it is a miss leading gun. the little barrel doesnt provide enough energy to make it an affective HD weapon.

i think a .410 is only a good round with a gun that has an a full length barrell on it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I grew up (and still use) on .410 for dove and quail-- I probably am one of those who think that except for ducks and turkey, 12ga is overkill for hunting most other things. .410 is also great on snakes or as a trail gun-- I carry a Super Comanche (single shot .410/.45Colt) pistol when we go camping to dispatch snakes and small critters--

It is pricey shell wise, but is a good gun with little recoil for kids to learn good bird hunting marksmanship--

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
How do you like your Super Comanche?

My local gun shop has one and I'm toying with the idea of getting it. Seemed like a good idea for a trail pistol. I could hang it in a holster from my saddle horn and not have to fool with the gun scabbard under my knee. Have you shot it with both the .410 and the 45 Long Colt?

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont like the judge or the idea of a judge. it is a miss leading gun. the little barrel doesnt provide enough energy to make it an affective HD weapon.

i think a .410 is only a good round with a gun that has an a full length barrell on it.
i think with a face full of birdshot, followed by a .45, i'd think twice about robbing a dude..... :rip:

·
Registered
452 Posts

Exactly how I will carry mine. Great snake gun...

i think with a face full of birdshot, followed by a .45, i'd think twice about robbing a dude..... :rip:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Got my grandson a .410/.22 combo made by Rossi a few years back.He's out grown but I kept it for a backyard snake gun.Came with a padded case to hold receiver and both barrels.

·
Registered
557 Posts

My local gun shop has one and I'm toying with the idea of getting it. Seemed like a good idea for a trail pistol. I could hang it in a holster from my saddle horn and not have to fool with the gun scabbard under my knee. Have you shot it with both the .410 and the 45 Long Colt?
I like mine for what I bought to use for-- it is a plain jane blued one-- I have shot only cowboy loads on the .45 side, but the .410 side I mainly shoot birdshot (7 1/2-8) and #4 buck. I keep the .45 "choke" on it all the time. Mind you I don't use .45 Colt for snake duty, but it does get loaded with that when we camp. As far as recoil, the SC is a heavy gun and has no issues with either. The foregrip in actuality makes the pistol a really short sawed off shotgun and real eay for short range duty...Here is mine with a JA22 (which I have sold)--

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
love the judge....
I wanted a Judge for a long time. Until I figured out that, for the same money, I could buy a new Hi Point .45 and a good used 20 or 12 gage shot gun!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
tju1973,

Thanks for the review. Guess now I'll add it to the wish list.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

I like mine for what I bought to use for-- it is a plain jane blued one-- I have shot only cowboy loads on the .45 side, but the .410 side I mainly shoot birdshot (7 1/2-8) and #4 buck. I keep the .45 "choke" on it all the time. Mind you I don't use .45 Colt for snake duty, but it does get loaded with that when we camp. As far as recoil, the SC is a heavy gun and has no issues with either. The foregrip in actuality makes the pistol a really short sawed off shotgun and real eay for short range duty...Here is mine with a JA22 (which I have sold)--

Will it chamber the full length 410 shell? The Judge needs a shorter one. ( some of the new ones have a three inch chamber, but I have been told it has been on and off the market because shooting the .45 tears it up)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts

oh, so now you hit where you aim every time ;) and the guy doesnt die now. hard to tell where teh court battle will go. well, to each his own. i'd never try to use BIRD shot on a human sized target especially out of ashort barrel ;)

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

oh, so now you hit where you aim every time ;) and the guy doesnt die now. hard to tell where teh court battle will go. well, to each his own. i'd never try to use BIRD shot on a human sized target especially out of ashort barrel ;)
ok.....well.....its also very mean looking

yes, i always hit what i am aiming at, well, i should say, i always hit whatever the gun is aimed at. whether or not it goes where i want it to is another question.

do they make 00 .410 rounds?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
they do make 00 buck in 2 1/2 and 3'' shells. not sure about 000 but i think they do.

as for me i still wouldnt use it out fo a short barrel. but YMMV

·
Registered
557 Posts

Will it chamber the full length 410 shell? The Judge needs a shorter one. ( some of the new ones have a three inch chamber, but I have been told it has been on and off the market because shooting the .45 tears it up)
Yes-- I have a couple boxes of Winchester 3" 000 Buck, but I tend to get the 2 1/2 7 1.5 shot for snakes-- and every gunshow I pick up a few boxes of the oddball 2.75" Brown Bear all brass #4 Buck (when they run around $3/box that is)..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.