Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, let's start off by saying I finally did it. AR9 Glock Mag is Finished! All in a week, since I picked up the final piece Monday @ UPS. :cool: Gotta be a new record for me! The hold-ups were doing springtime chores for Mum and Pappaw, Security Measures and general stuff. Big Bro and his bad back have been an inspiration of late :D

Here's the Glock/AR9 PISTOL Build, or assembly, if you will. Not much to an AR "build" at all. Oh, the Upper was complete, but as soon as I get my
Kley-Zion Reaction Rod, I'ma build me a 14.5" pinned and welded Rifle Upper for my ECONO/LITE AR! It will be an SHTF gun for small female or elderly shooters. FAXON LW Pencil Barrel... Slick Side Upper I got in trade from KLAWSON

OK, here's the Glock/AR9!

1. In the vise
2. Upright in the recliner :rofl:
3. "faux" Forward Assist and Dust Cover... (my other AR9 is slick side)
4. With DRUM :D

5. With my trusted sidekick in the field ;)

Everything works very well, the darn pivot pin is pretty stubborn, but getting better, the Takedown Pin was too, but I can get it w/o tools already. Lost the friggin detent on one of them, (pivot pin) cuz the knife I was using to hold it in was too thick to let the pin slide past and I lost it, but found the spring :D Good thing I had SPARES, all ready to go!

Attachments

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: passed all function tests, safety test, etc.
Glock Drum Mag (Korean) will not lock in, but the happy sticks fit fine.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Looks good. That pivot pin can be tricky. I used needle nose pliers to hold the detent then pressed it down with a utility knife blade and the pin went right in. Needs some sights though... Or spray and pray

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I have at least 3 sets of sights, and at least 1 R.D.S., plus other optics. I am thinking of adding a laser, so I can shoot from the hip! ;)
Low profile, but I prefer GREEN :D

It fits my multi-pistol case I bought last year, like a glove! Broken down, of course ;) Got it on clearance @ Gouger Mountain. Pix Soon!

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you over paid
Actually, I had an online coupon (which did not work, so the gun counter guy over-rode it!) and it was lower than anything else I could find. I was very happy! :D For Once ;) (at Gouger...)
I also had a discount card from store card points, that I got from stacking ammo. Just when it was on special. ;)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I post mine in the Gunsmith thread.
Well, you're a Smith, I'm a "rank amateur" :rofl:
But this came out nice! I still need the 3.5oz buffer, my standard 556 buffer is only 2.9oz. Planning on getting a tungsten weight kit, then I can customize several. Thinking of running a gas orifice on one build, since most AR's are over-gassed. Then I could run the lighter bolt, and lighter buffer, and still get less recoil. Just for the LW build, however.

·
Banned
7,114 Posts
Well, you're a Smith, I'm a "rank amateur" :rofl:
But this came out nice! I still need the 3.5oz buffer, my standard 556 buffer is only 2.9oz. Planning on getting a tungsten weight kit, then I can customize several. Thinking of running a gas orifice on one build, since most AR's are over-gassed. Then I could run the lighter bolt, and lighter buffer, and still get less recoil. Just for the LW build, however.
Too much work for me Mole. I just put an AR together today myself. Took less than 5 minutes. Took lower, took upper, pushed 2 pins open, closed, and wallah, a new AR. A nice new PSA for under $400 even. Including a HB stainless steel upper. Easy peezie! :D

Reactions: budman70

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
I still need the 3.5oz buffer, my standard 556 buffer is only 2.9oz. Planning on getting a tungsten weight kit, then I can customize several. Thinking of running a gas orifice on one build, since most AR's are over-gassed. Then I could run the lighter bolt, and lighter buffer, and still get less recoil. Just for the LW build, however.
Maybe you should shoot it first before you decide you "need" something?;)

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Too much work for me Mole. I just put an AR together today myself. Took less than 5 minutes. Took lower, took upper, pushed 2 pins open, closed, and wallah, a new AR. A nice new PSA for under $400 even. Including a HB stainless steel upper. Easy peezie! :D
That's how I did my first AR build, too. I bought a complete Adams Arms piston upper at the PSA store, ordered a complete blem lower for pickup at the store, later, and then I assembled them when they both got home together.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you should shoot it first before you decide you "need" something?;)
It's like this, "by design" it calls for a 3.5oz buffer, so an edjumacated guess would say that means, oh, maybe 115gr standard pressure 9mm? My buffer is nearly 20% lighter than that, and I plan on running almost exclusively NATO 9mm which has (calculated) maybe 15% more ME, and attendant recoil. Also some +P stuff for it.

If I could walk out on my front or back porch and fire off a few, (Like Big;)Al) or a mag full, I'd do the 115 in a heartbeat, it's within 20%. That's a common engineering "slop factor" so I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Worst thing that would happen? Buffer bottoms out in tube, I'd surely feel that. Pretty sure I can go to an LGS and get buffer weights. I'm patient. ;)

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,912 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see Flash is Lurking, and m00nzy is trolling, what do you two think? Could it work well with the lighter 556 buffer and some spring shims? Would I be losing any velocity to early opening of the chamber? I have seen that some 9mm AR Buffers go up around 8oz which is waaaay heavy compared to a 556 buffer. Input Please :D

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
I see Flash is Lurking, and m00nzy is trolling, what do you two think? Could it work well with the lighter 556 buffer and some spring shims? Would I be losing any velocity to early opening of the chamber? I have seen that some 9mm AR Buffers go up around 8oz which is waaaay heavy compared to a 556 buffer. Input Please :D
Can't you just weigh a 995 bolt block and make your own total mass of carrier and buffer equal that? Theoretically, the ideal amount of mass should be the same.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Well didn't put it together today it was a little over a week ago but it consist of .

ATI Omni Hybrid lower .

Picked a pair of these up before the election for $54 out the door .

APOC ARMORY Budget lower build kit

picked it up on sale with free shipping for $79.95

Really am happy with the trigger much better than I was expecting .

https://apocarmory.com/products/budget-lower-build-kit

PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 1:7 STAINLESS FREEDOM UPPER -WITH BCG AND CH - 7779819

ordered this a few weeks ago for $269.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-1-7-stainless-freedom-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

The completed rifle looks like this .

Still need to get a rear sight to really make it complete .

pretty happy for the $403.94 I have in it so far .

·
Super Moderator
9,916 Posts
Mole, the 9mm bolt/buffer is heavy for a reason. Being straight blowback, it's rough on the workings. You need the heavy buffer, bolt, and I still but a bumper in mine.

Reactions: undeRGRound
1 - 20 of 150 Posts