Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
^^^^^^:D

So...the REAL bottom line is.....these are not "showoff toys"...keep your sh!t to yourself. You get to enjoy these in your own privacy with only your closest friends. Dont take them to the public range and wave them around cause your asking for trouble, and normally, trouble is happy to accommodate you:p
Muy Bueno Consejo, mi amigo!

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Random question: is it legal to shoot an AR pistol, with a shock wave brace, from the shoulder?
Yes. This week. In public. But don't take the straps off if it came w/ them, don't put a butt plate on it (they exist), don't glue it on (why not? who knows?), and don't put it on a rifle buffer tube. And keep an ear out for when the BATFE changes their mind next.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
OK, here are some BCG weight specs:

1. 5.56 Full Auto BCG:
328.1g ~11.6
2. PSA/Glock AR-9 BCG:
419.1g ~14.8oz

That is a lot heavier, nearly 28%. 91 grams, or ~3.2oz less. THEN common practice is to nearly Double the Buffer weight... or more.
The PSA/Glock bolt is not really a "bolt carrier" in the sense of an AR-15 bolt, there is not separate bolt to remove, and it is a little shorter. The breech face of the chamber is further back to make up the difference.

I did not get a weight for a regular 5.56 semi-auto BCG, it's lighter, but IDK how much. I have one somewhere, need to pull it out of an upper that is ready to rock :D

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
KAK installed

I used the 4 lightest (shiny) buffer weights, aluminum. STILL Weighs 7.5oz which exceeds PSA's recommended minimum by ~2oz. Test fired, ran great, but after the first shot, I dropped the mag and was going to rack #2 out of the chamber, it was Stuck! :confused: Maybe chamber is a bit tight? I popped the takedown pin, everything looked OK, but still could not cycle that CH. I went back to "fire" (safety off) and fired the round. Seems to be OK, and the bolt was not stock this time, racked fine now. I was using Federal 147gr HST which utterly destroyed a piece of concrete block ~3" thick :D I believe it was supersonic with that barrel length, (10.5") made a pretty solid CRACK. I think they are not +P rounds.

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
Well, it ain't no AR, but I did build it...

I previously posted that I won this Sterling Arms Model 302 in stainless off Gunbroker for $105 shipped. Not all the parts were there but I had the necessary parts on my bench.

Sooo, let me just say a Sterling ain't no Jennings. A frame build up of these small Sterling pistolas (.22 or .25) is a major pain in the posterior. The entire strap end of the gun- the sear and sear spring, the push-button take-down, the pop out slide release - it's all just way over-the-top complicated, which is exactly how it is on the little Rino-Galesi design that Sterling copied.

If I didn't already have a couple of Sterlings and another stripped frame to look at, it would have taken me forever to build. But the deed its done. :D

Of course, buying a basketcase pistol like this can have another downside: You have to build it in order to discover if there was a problem which led to it being ripped apart in the first place. In this case, apparently there's an issue with the trigger or trigger bar, it won't fire when it's all put together. When I pop off the left grip and manipulate the sear lever it works just fine. I'll figger it out.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I previously posted that I won this Sterling Arms Model 302 in stainless off Gunbroker for $105 shipped. Not all the parts were there but I had the necessary parts on my bench.

Sooo, let me just say a Sterling ain't no Jennings. A frame build up of these small Sterling pistolas (.22 or .25) is a major pain in the posterior. The entire strap end of the gun- the sear and sear spring, the push-button take-down, the pop out slide release - it's all just way over-the-top complicated, which is exactly how it is on the little Rino-Galesi design that Sterling copied.

If I didn't already have a couple of Sterlings and another stripped frame to look at, it would have taken me forever to build. But the deed its done. :D

Of course, buying a basketcase pistol like this can have another downside: You have to build it in order to discover if there was a problem which led to it being ripped apart in the first place. In this case, apparently there's an issue with the trigger or trigger bar, it won't fire when it's all put together. When I pop off the left grip and manipulate the sear lever it works just fine. I'll figger it out.
So you're saying this is NOT another "SNS"?

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
Nope, it's not. Over on the BJJA forum, we've pretty much determined that Sterlings do not qualify as SNS. Inexpensive, yes. But Sterlings are 100% steel and have a very robust design.

If you start looking into the guns that Eugene Sauls manufactured they were pretty neat. (I love the PPL, it's on my WTB list.)

Take a look. http://weaponsman.com/?p=12351

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,905 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
adam, thanks for that, an enjoyable read. What's the opinion on Jimenez these days?
They suck..
Thought yer name was moonzie, not adam? :p

Backbencher, I wouldn't go as far as Moonzie, but they are what they are. Inexpensive pistols with inconsistent quality levels. Jimenez took what Bryco/Jennings was making, and continued on. There have been minor changes here and there. (For example, the barrel on the Jimenez 9mm pistol is held in place by 2 pins vs. 1 pin on the Bryco. But the frame crack issue on the 9mm remains the same as ever, and probably always will.)

Anyone buying a Jimenez or a Cobra should anticipate doing a full fluff 'n buff to smooth out the rough edges. The most important thing on these Zamack guns is to replace the recoil and firing pin springs frequently, a failed or weak spring will result in cracked slides.

Service wise, Jimenez has been very good to deal with. Not at Hi-Point's level, but pretty darn good. They've provided me with parts at no charge, they've also replaced a used Jimenez 9mm with a cracked frame for free.

I enjoy messing with them. LOL

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's my second Cav-15. I built the first one with an ALG trigger and really like it. Then the kids got old enough to start on rifles so I picked this one up a cop had chopped for his vest a a dedicated simunitions lower. Don't know why he decided to part with it but my gain.

Anyway, I really like them. My only complaint is the takedown pins not being captive. The light weight, A1 stock dimensions, and comfortable grip all more than make up for it.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
I finally took the plunge and assembled an AR and then registered it with the state as the law requires. I bought the receiver before the mA$$ AG 7/20/16 ban took effect and have copies of the 4473 as documented proof. It's nothing fancy, just an FMK AR-1 Patriot polymer lower with a 16" Bear Creek upper in .223 Wylde. But it's black and "banned in Bahston" so it's pure evil. And if I vanish from the forum... you'll know why. :foil:

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
I've got one more lower to build -a forged unit, not an FMK- but it apparently the QC checks weren't done on it. The hole for the bolt catch is missing and I'll have to figure out how to drill it without effing it up.

I'll probably have to find a jig, there's no way I'm going to try this without a guide of some sort.

Here's a pic of the hole i'm talking about:

Guitar accessory Gesture Finger Musical instrument accessory Nail

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I've got one more lower to build -a forged unit, not an FMK- but it apparently the QC checks weren't done on it. The hole for the bolt catch is missing and I'll have to figure out how to drill it without effing it up.

I'll probably have to find a jig, there's no way I'm going to try this without a guide of some sort.

Here's a pic of the hole i'm talking about:

View attachment 44706
80% jig won't help. That is already done on a 80%

101 - 120 of 150 Posts