Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
LRBHO is pure luxury. It's not needed to operate an AR, and endless amounts of time are spent attempting to get them to work reliably on Glock mag builds. 99% of AKs can't even manually lock the bolt to the rear, but they work fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
LRBHO is pure luxury. It's not needed to operate an AR
Very true, and if push comes to shove, I'll go ahead without it; but I'd like to have that luxury if I can have it. I'm thinking the AR15 lower receiver drill jig shown in this link would be my answer (as well as helping if I were to do an 80% lower in the future). http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html (scroll down)

The website says: This AR-15 jig will also aid you in drilling the bolt catch hole as well. Simply slide the block with the slots (as seen in the photo) over the receiver and clamp them together with a C-clamp and you are ready to drill the bolt catch hole, nice and straight without worrying about a crooked hole and ruined lower.

Has anyone here done any business with this outfit before?

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Very true, and if push comes to shove, I'll go ahead without it; but I'd like to have that luxury if I can have it. I'm thinking the AR15 lower receiver drill jig shown in this link would be my answer (as well as helping if I were to do an 80% lower in the future). http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html (scroll down)

The website says: This AR-15 jig will also aid you in drilling the bolt catch hole as well. Simply slide the block with the slots (as seen in the photo) over the receiver and clamp them together with a C-clamp and you are ready to drill the bolt catch hole, nice and straight without worrying about a crooked hole and ruined lower.

Has anyone here done any business with this outfit before?
Have you contacted the manufacturer or seller??
I can't see that it will be that critical. Take some measurements off of another lower, measure, measure again, mark and center punch .

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
He hasn't updated his website in a while - still has a link to KT Ordnance, which has been gone for some time now. He's the guy that came up w/ the AR45 lower using Grease Gun mags, and directs folks to Rudy @ Macon Armory for DI uppers. Rudy seems to be a good guy; I seem to remember much drama over the AR45 lower. That may all be in the past, but you might do some Googling on CNCguns.

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
Manufacturer is out of business. :mad:
There's too much opportunity for me to eff it up: the lug that needs to be drilled is on a bit of an angle, the drill bit is a long one, not a lot of space between the side of the receiver and the lug. A buddy in a machine shop who looked at it wouldn't touch it without some sort of a guide.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Mind, even if you drill it @ an angle or in the wrong place, there's still a chance to fix it by drilling a larger hole in the correct place, drilling a larger hole in the LRBHO, and using a larger roll pin or screw. So you get more than once chance to fix it. A lot of makers thread the hole these days and use a screw instead of a roll pin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The "jig" is just a piece of steel with a hole drilled the correct distance from the edge. Easy enough to make. Just clamp it to the lower in the correct place and use a long(6"?) drill bit the correct diameter. If that doesn't make sense, google some 0% lower instructions.

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
Mind, even if you drill it @ an angle or in the wrong place, there's still a chance to fix it by drilling a larger hole in the correct place, drilling a larger hole in the LRBHO, and using a larger roll pin or screw. So you get more than once chance to fix it. A lot of makers thread the hole these days and use a screw instead of a roll pin.
Use a PO money order - he reneges on that, you have recourse to the Postal Inspectors.
The "jig" is just a piece of steel with a hole drilled the correct distance from the edge. Easy enough to make. Just clamp it to the lower in the correct place and use a long(6"?) drill bit the correct diameter. If that doesn't make sense, google some 0% lower instructions.
All excellent points. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
I finally took the plunge and assembled an AR..., nothing fancy, just an FMK AR-1 Patriot polymer lower with a 16" Bear Creek upper in .223 Wylde. View attachment 44704
Finally got out to the range with this FMK for a shakedown and function check. I had some feeding issues with the first magazine I put through it but after that, it was clear sailing; put a couple hundred rounds thru it. I wasn't trying for bulls eyes (not that I could anyway) but nonetheless I was pleased to be ringing steel at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
A Hera Arms thumbhole stock will reinforce that polymer lower - they run more than a replacement aluminum lower, however.

I've just started a new project, Effort Booker, after the not-so-good junior Senator Booker from New Jersey. A 26" smoothbore "firearm" using a plastic brick chassis, an AR trigger jig and .22 LR adapter, and hopefully Ruger 10/22 magazines.

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
I've got one more lower to build -a forged unit, not an FMK- but it apparently the QC checks weren't done on it. The hole for the bolt catch is missing and I'll have to figure out how to drill it without effing it up.
I'll probably have to find a jig, there's no way I'm going to try this without a guide of some sort. Here's a pic of the hole i'm talking about:
View attachment 44706
...and <drum roll, if you please> it's done!

Got myself a jig and a couple of 6" drills, some cutting oil, added a lil' dash of patience, and voila! All functions work fine with dummy rounds, hope to take it to the range tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the FMK build (left) and the Roggio build (right) and another pic of the newly drilled bolt catch hole.

Neither of these AR's are going to be somebody's crown jewel, but with the mAss ban in full force, we'll take whatever we got and run with it.
Machine Camera accessory Engineering Metal Composite material
Gas Tints and shades Metal Automotive tire Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Look good to me. ProMag & Thermold both make flush-fit 10 round mags. If you ping me on Saturday mornings before I go to gun shows I'll keep a look out for old 20 round pre-ban AR mags, and any other mags you need.

·
No longer broke...
21,914 Posts
121 - 140 of 150 Posts