What gun did you buy today?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Suicide-Salads, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Where should I polish just for a heads up?

2. peorth

peorth Member

Bought a Ruger LCRX-3 .38 special 3" barrel revolver last month, finally got around to shooting it today. Burned through 200 rounds on old Taurus 85 3" and the new Ruger. After breaking it in the Ruger is now grouping nicely if I do my part.

Both revolvers are .38 special 3" barrel. The Taurus is fairly light but the Ruger LCRX-3 is aluminum and polymor at 15.7 oz. Even when loaded it's barely over a pound. Both are 5 shot revolvers with short ejection rods -- it will not push the shell all the way out. The Ruger's wheel does not swing out as smoothly as heavier steel framed revolvers, you need to lightly push it out.

The LCRX-3 barely fits inside a NV200 nano vault pistol lockbox. You can prolly squeeze a couple loaded speed loaders inside. I tested a few different brands of ammo and it seems to prefer Aguila over PMC. The revolver heats up quickly.

My purpose of buying this revolver is for a lightweight belt pouch revolver. If I had to bug out on foot (worst case) I plan to keep my pack to 20 lbs. This is not a traditional heavy duty Ruger 357 magnum and will likely not last as long. But for a lightweight 3" revolver it does exactly what I need it for. Recoil is very manageable with standard .38 ammo, will try +p in future.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_LCRx_3.html

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i have the regular lcr well my mother in law has it at the momen but i hope to have it back sooner rather than later. Its always shot great. out of the 2 inch barrel +p throws some pretty massive fireballs. The first time i shot it I was so surprised by the lighter than expectd recoil I regretted not buying the 357 version.

4. mej24

mej24 Member

Always heard that the .357 round was developed for 4 inch and longer barrels. And that the powder didn't have enough time to burn in the shorter barrel to produce the velocities the round was capable of, therefore wasted in the shorter barrel revolvers. Any truth to that?

5. 38 Snubby

[​IMG]

I picked up this Armscor M206 38 Special.
    Very nice Single and Double action trigger.
    I already had the M200 with 4 inch barrel and have enjoyed it.
    Combat grips, wood grips,hard case and gun for $200 BNIB.
    Nice little snubby for cheap!

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I dunno.... But you make up for velocity lost, with the ball of fire thrown at em...

7. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I have a RIA 1911 FS Tactical in 9mm. It has been flawless and the full cost, including tax and background check was under $500.

8. mej24

mej24 Member

2 inch barreled flamethrower!!!

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

Armscor revolvers are great. Maybe not beautiful but the beauty is in the function with some guns.

Personally I think if they switched to bluing (they discontinued their only blued model) or Cerakote their guns would sell better. Parkerizing is good at protecting surfaces compared to conventional bluing but IMO, Cerakote looks better and is probably cheaper in the long run.

10. peorth

peorth Member

M206 was selling for $230 at Turners here in LA earlier this year. The later shipment came with both stock and hogue style grips. I almost bought one but someone was selling an used 995 TS with 3 mags at price that I couldn't pass up. Of course I had to pick up a C9 to match...

The m206 price and compact size was attractive, but ultimately I decided to buy the Ruger Lcrx-3 due to weight and 3" barrel. Not as many people buy 3" 38 special revolvers, but they feel just right and shoot well for me. Not sure how to really explain it. With 9mm pistols I have to put a lot of effort into shooting it, but with 3" revolver the bullet just somehow end up on target, unless if I screwed up my grip and the muzzle moved.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I would be willing to wager a month's pay that if it was required and you shoved it in some bad guys face.... the last thing he would be thinking would not be "Gee, that's ugly". :D

12. Kiln

Kiln Member

Or depending on how it goes down that may be exactly the last thing he thinks. /dark humor

13. histed

histed Supporting Member

Originally Posted by TNTRAILERTRASH View Post
    Who's the "Queen of the Moles?" mOOnZie?
    Reply from Mole
    EVILE424! Histed can verify, so can "E"
    Muck ol'Foonzie

I can and I will. He also has a Princess - Nevada Nell - AKA Sarahsmom. TNT be a better man (or dumber) to accuse mOOnz of being a queen.
    [​IMG]
    Far as I know, he hasn't got the hair or the voice.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Another "purchase" :p (lay-a-way) but this was an awesome deal...

PSA sells 9mm AR pattern carbine "kits" with NO LOWER and NO MAG
    for $630... I got a COMPLETE AR-9 as they call it, for $679,
    ASSEMBLED with 1 Magazine ($30 value @ LGS) It's like getting
    the Lower and Assembly (big deal) for $19 and I also grabbed 2
    of the PSA Mags for $30 each :D Mid Length Gas Tube and GI handguards...

Pix:
    [​IMG]
    Something like this with GI handguards...
    [​IMG]
    May convert to my Short Sight mod like the 4095 :D

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Late to the party but, i liked my Kimber. It didn't like hollow points, but otherwise not an issue at all to complain about.

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The Magazines look like converted UZI Mags, but are New Metalform Mags
    made just for PSA, stamped with this on the base plate:
    [​IMG]

Good to know you liked the Kimber, Talon...
    Apparently Hollow Points with the proper ogive are not a problem at all.
    At least on a controlled feed 1911 mil-spec 1911, they work fine. ;)

17. That's alright Talon almost all 1911 don't like hallow points, unless your buying a super high end one. The original design was not made for them.

18. lsi1

lsi1 Member

kimbers only work with hydroshocks and just the mere thought of this combo throws a cone of invincibility around the wearer of such a firearm that causes potential attackers to pee their pants and run away.

I have heard that the addition of a crimson trace laser grip causes panties to drop as well.

19. lsi1

lsi1 Member

the first time I ever took my lcr out to shoot there was a couple inches of fresh snow and it was near dark. I was shooting a box of the winchester white box jhp 38+p watching the fireball come out of the gun was nearly as fun as actually hitting the target with a good group with a snub nose 38.

20. Savage BSEV on lay-a-way. Happy Birthday to me!!!!

It was a tough call, either that or a CZ 455 FS but my buddy told me he traded his BSEV and another gun in for a Trujicon sight and it was still on the rack. Not for long, 24 hours later it was gone. Guess the CZ will have to wait for next year.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015