Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife out shooting the other day and she shot a gun for the first time ever and she actually liked it. So i actually wanna get her a gun that would be just hers to try and help her really get into shooting and for self defense, these are my ideas so far

1 Charter Arms pink lady

2 cobra arms pink deringer or pink semi auto

3 kel tec (I think you can get a pink polymer frame)

Im leaning towards the Charter arms for a few reasons, its owned by the same company as HP, revolvers are more reliable and she has a hard time racking the slide back on my HP's. After her intial gun ill still probably get the cobras just cause she really like the look. She had a hard time with my HP slides but I think she'll get used to autos with time. Any other suggestions? I want a gun that will appeal to her

·
Registered
315 Posts
You want to get Her a gun to be "just hers, to try and help her really get into shooting and for self defense"? Tell me, what does the color PINK have anything to do with getting into shooting or self defense? Since this is Her FIRST time shooting and IF You really want Her to get into shooting, Maybe instead of spending the extra $ on the custom paint job, how about spending it on by signing Her up for a class on Basic Gun? She will learn the "basics"and more. In the end She will be able to choose what is Best for HER. From there She can move to Personal Defense Class which does not teach you the colors BUT instead.......Defense. Is She going to be carrying Concealed or Opened? If Opened, I don't think I would want My Wife Open Carrying a PINK firearm nice and bright for Everyone to see it especially the BG.
Don't get me wrong, I really don't care what color gun You or anyone else has but I just hope people take owning a firearm VERY seriously.
If I didn't answer Your question, here it is. Let HER pick it out and You can buy it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the color pink has nothing to do with a good gun. I also know she needs to pick her own. She's a 25 yr old wedding planner that is into fashion and all the dainty things that I do not enjoy! She would rather go buy a $400.00 coach purse if I would let her! The point of the pink is so she has a gun that is feminine and would be just her own. She yells at me and says Im obsessed with guns cause im always looking them up on the internet and messing with my hi points she also had a hard time with my sks cause its scary looking. I dont have my CC and whenever I wear my gun (not that often maybe twice a year) she calls me crazy. I want the gun and shooting to appeal to her. Pink is not my thing but for a 25 yr old wedding planner fashionista a pink gun just might do the trick. She didnt want to go shooting and I made her go and she thought it was kinda fun but said " Id rahter be at the mall while you guys are shooting" if a pink gun helps, so be it.

when we went shooting she shot a 38 special, 380, 9mm & and my 40 she thought the 9 & the 40 were too much and she liked the 38 and 380. On our way back from shooting she said she liked shooting the revolver but wanted a pink deringer (she actually said "a really small pink gun with the spinny thing") so we went to the gun shop and she loved the pink cobra deringer but when we handled it we realized it wasnt very user friendly. we looked at the kel tec which she liked but had a hard time with the slide we also looked @ the pink lady and she liked that and i figured it would be the easiest for her to use.

We are gonna go to the range and let her shoot a few different options and eventually get her enrolled in basic handguns and a CC class but first I want her to get really interested in shooting

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Pink gun with spinny thing.....lol! My Wife wants to TRY mine (gun/s). I told Her no problem. I also told Her that I'm going to get both Her and my Son signed up too for Basics at this time come Spring. They are going to have to take care of themselves when I'm gone, right?
...crap, it's starting to snow over here now.......................

·
Registered
125 Posts
I say, do whatever it takes. If she gets into shooting, it's one more thing for you to do together and one less thing she will complain about. Like other have said, get her trained. Take her shooting often, let her be comfortable with her gun.

I started my fiancee' out on a HP ..380. she liked it but discovered she wanted a bigger boom, so we got her a 9mm. Now she has laid claim to me Taurus .45 I am picking up today....it just ain't right I tells ya.

Don't be surprised if your little flower turns into a recoil junky once she gets over the initial inhibitions. Just don't let her take your guns! lol.

Splitter

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as a recommendation I have none. I will tell you what my wife ended up with though. SHE ENDED UP WITH MY GUN! :mad: She received her concealed pistol license training through the local police department. When it came time to qualify at the range, with the permission of the instructor, she used my Ruger sp101 snub nose revolver. She really like it and was very accurate with it. Now it's hers. Chambered in .357 she shoots .38 spl +p's. It's simple to operate and though a bit heavier than similar size revolvers, the added weight helps reduce recoil.

On a side note, the training was great. The chief of police along with a former department member put together a program to train other police officers around the state. As part of our training they allowed us to use the "real life" scenario full size video where we are armed with laser equipped handguns that record every shot you take if you indeed you decide that is the proper course of action. Too Cool!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
i myself really don'y care for guns that or collored in any color other than a ussual gun color like black or silver or grey. to me if a kid does come across the gun and they see a black gun they are more liekly to think it's a real gun . now if they come across a pink gun then they are more liekly to thinkit's a play gun and pull the trigger. same thing with people it will be a conversation piece at parties and if onetime someone who doesn't know about guns forgets to unload it racks it back !BAM! SOMEONE GETS SHOT! i wanted to get a pink taurusand i still might get it because i'm the only one who handles the guns in my house but i' would be scared to giive my wife a pink gun although it just might get her into shooting i know for a fact that she would love to go around and show everyone her "cute little pink gun" and that just might not be such a good idea. so for now why not get her a black gun and after she gets used to it then pop up with the pink gun.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd take her to the shop and let her pick it out.

That said, my wife always thought revolvers were cooler.
Thats what I did after I took my fiancee to the range to try some out. Thats best to let her try them out and get a feel for them since she'll be the one carrying and using it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is the one were gonna get

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53830.html

I put down some money on it but kinda wish it was the DAO version. Not a big deal though she wont carry until I convince her its perfectly normal and legal to carry a gun and she goes through a CC clas. I hope this is the spark that gets her into it. I really like this gun it only weghs 12 oz, I think im goona get the silver one for myself eventually

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Taurus offers the 24/7 and Millenium in a pink frame with your choice of blued or stainless slide. I don't think I would invest in a Deringer as a first weapon just because I personally would rather shoot pretty much any gun out there before I would want to shoot a deringer. But....To each their own.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Cobra derringers are great guns, with VERY heavy trigger pulls and at least in .38 Special they kick pretty darn hard. Accuracy? What's that?

The Charter is probably a good choice... I just hope you know for a fact that she likes pink, because there are a lot of women who get rather cheesed if you assume they like pink just because of their gender. :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice gun. My fiancee likes pink. She wanted a pink gun. Mostly all the females I know like pink.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.