What happened to Austin?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by tallbump, Oct 23, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Since this is somewhat relevant to what has been discussed in this thread....

How did we go from Austin as admin and I think owner and someone who actually participated in this forum to some management group with some unknown entity pulling strings behind the curtain?

Besides Rach being made Admin, which, and I am more than willing to admit I could be wrong about, maybe I missed that discussion, also went down behind the scenes....we have no clue what's going on with our beloved forum :confused: :(

Please consider this a question, not a rant

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, the short answer is, he sold the forum and several others he owned.

The new company has been working with us. We've had a couple of different liaisons now, most of which seem OK. One apparently engaged in some less-than-ethical post-shifting in an effort to boost forum traffic. That one's gone. The current liaison doesn't seem to participate but does touch base occasionally, which is about as good as we could hope for IMO.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. tallbump

That stinks.

I mean I can't and won't fault Austin as I am sure he had his reasons.

I have been around forums for man, many years and ultimately effectively owned one for a while that I sort of inherited from a previous owner how just sort of moved onto other things.

It just sort of feels like this when from a mom and pop business to a chain store, you know? Just lost that hometown feeling?

Nothing against this staff here, even our resident liberal moderator is a good guy. LOL

I wish Austin had offered us as a collective whole or perhaps a specific member the opportunity to buy, but, again, I'm sure he had his reasons. He just seemed like a good guy and had a vested interest in what went down.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Austin owned a forum building company and sold HUNDREDS of forums off to CMG. Most of the time "Austin" was actually one of his employees, including the one initially kept here by CMG who was terminated.

My being made local admin was done mid transfer of all of the forums being sold off when we didn't have an admin to handle issues because we didn't have a reliable rep until Angie knew cmg was going to hire her.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Let's pretend we're all retarded (and not just me) and please explain exactly what "post-shifting" is.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's kinda a term which I pulled out of my hind-end but is descriptive of what happened.

In this case, the person took posts made on one forum and copied them to another, complete with a fake/new username. The person chose posts which were "interesting" and which was hoped would generate more reads and lurker signups. The practice was justified with the reasoning that when users sign up, the agreement states that all posts are copyright ceded to the owning company.

But a user who had their post "borrowed" stumbled across the copy on another forum and, quite understandably, was angry. Yelled loud enough that people took notice and other users from other forums in the ownership family started noticing the same thing.

The flinging fecal matter was fairly peppering the finned rotating air device.

Eventually the person who did this lost their job. I'm not sure how far any "cleanup" may or may not have gone, but the decision to try this tactic was ill advised and cost one person their job, if not more. I feel a little bad for the person. Losing your job sucks and, from what I can tell, the plan was technically not illegal, though I agree that, ethically speaking, it was somewhat questionable.

But forums, and the trust of the forum users, are actually kinda fragile so strong measures had to be taken to regain what trust could be.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Thank you. I would consider that a pretty sleazy move.

8. tallbump

Interesting, thanks Rach

I never knew that this place was just a business venture. Honestly, i'm kinda hurt.

I'm used to forums being created and ran by someone who actually has a passion for the subject of the forum.

Don't get me wrong, we have a great bunch of guys and gals here and I love ya'll..... and ultimatley it's the people who really make a forum what it is.

Just a bit disappointed to learn that the behind the scenes folks don't have the same passion we do. I mean, is the new manager a current, or at least, former Hi Point owner. Does she own any guns, or shoot? Is she even Pro 2A???????

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That is, in fact, how it started.

The original owner (GodlessDustin) ran it out of luv. He had a forum subscription and even had a "donation" method. Eventually, for his own reasons, he sold it to Austin's company. That caused a major rift with many old time and founding members, including most of the moderation and administration team at the time (remember SiliconWolverine? Kripp?). They all left and and started their own forum.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. tallbump

Ah, interesting. I heard about a rift in the past, but didn't know the details.

Figured it wasn't relevant or necessary to know, until now.

Thanks for the 411

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Nice place if you don't mind the cobwebs & tumbleweeds.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately everything is business....
    This place doesn't run itself.
    Website design, management, server cost yadayada.....
    Then advertising starts to recoup the cost.
    Clicks per ad and all that jazz.
    Then they'll get a Libtard Mod and things will really go to hell in a handbag.

;)

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I dunno...... Sure upped the post numbers though...