What is the most powerful gun you own?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep...and you just won.:p

I grew up in So. Oregon near the Lower Klamath Nat'l Wildlife Refuge...millions of birds fly through every year. 10 gauges were common for goose hunting, but I never shot one. Kids now don't believe me that they even exist!:rolleyes:

2. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

My heavily modified .308 Savage Axis bolt rifle

3. Kiln

Kiln Member

In terms of firepower without drums and not counting my 12 gauge I'd have to say the Mosin.

As far as total firepower I'd have to say the AK47 with a 75 round Romanian drum. There's a lot power there if you count the whole drum.

As for my handguns it'd probably be one of my .357's. Maybe the .40 S&W depending on the loads available I guess. Not really sure about the power difference there, they're both pretty good rounds IMO.

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Hands down, my Ruger American 30-06 with 150 gr SP at 2900 fps, more energy than a 1 oz slug at 1550 fps. It is also more accurate. But there is that 3/4 inch hole that a 12 ga. slug makes.:eek:

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

The most 'powerful' gun I own is the one that makes babies...... :rofl:

The most 'destructive' is most likely my 20ga 870 Wingmaster..... or possibly the model 70 30-06 springfield. :D

6. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Depends on your definition of power. Energy at the muzzle will go to a 12ga every time. Mosins and other full power cartridge rifles will claim the title if you're talking about effectiveness over long ranges. Even still one could argue capacity and rate of fire could be a measurement of power, in which case ARs and other semi-auto rifles would take it.

Having all 3 is nice though.

7. tomtull

tomtull Member

Remmington sportsman 48 12 gauge ;¬)

8. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Remington Sportsmans are nice.

9. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

If we are talking capacity, my KelTec SU16 can carry on it 30 + 10 + 10 on the weopon of 5.56 / .223.
    If we are talking muzzle velocity and energy, my 8mm Mauser hands down. Next would be my 30.06. I sold the 12ga.

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Crap! I almost forgot the RIA .22TCM. That holds 18 + 1 of nothing but Fun Fun Fun!!!

11. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Ok well lets rank what I have:

Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Mosin
    One of my AK Variants or SKS
    300 AAC
    AR15

Now if I had the cash I could just get a 50 bmg and trump everyone!! For at least 1 shot :rolleyes:

12. Browning 9 Guy

Viper you have two guns that are on my wish list -- the Taurus 24/7 in 40 S&W and the Hi Point 4095. The Norinco SKS is on the list, too.

Back in 1990 I had a chance to buy a Norinco 1911 A-1 from a gunshop for $300 but foolishly passed it by.

13. Browning 9 Guy

Just added a signature that lists my (feeble but growing) long gun collection.

14. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I love my 24/7. Had to send it in for the recall, but its all good now (I guess). The 4095 like all the other carbines are just plain fun to shoot.

My SKS I just picked up a few months ago. The prices keep getting higher and higher on these and the quality/grade is getting lower and lower... Get one while you still can if you can get a decent price on it, its worth it.

15. Browning 9 Guy

The local Hi Point dealer had a Norinco SKS for sale back in 2011 or 2012. I didn't check the price, but will in the future.

I'm also on the lookout for a Remington 750 in 270 or 308. Not to shoot a great deal, but to tinker with.

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

My mosin, followed by the AKs.

Where would a 50cal muzzle loader fit into the mix?

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Savage Model 110 in .30-06 caliber topped with a Leopold scope.

eldar

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Above "Wrist Rocket" but below "Longbow".

19. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

The only really powerful gun I have is an M-48 8 mm Mauser. I don't know how it stacks up against the 30-06, but it will blow a hole clean through a locust fence post.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's about the same as the as a 30-06, maybe more in real European loads, less in the neutered US loads.