What is your idea of the best carry gun(s) and why?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by greg_r, Apr 11, 2019.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I think an EDC must be simple. It must be easy to carry. And it must be dependable. I prefer a DAO for social work. It must be lightweight. And it must be point and shoot simple.

My choices are the Ruger LCR and the KAHR, either the C or P series. They are lightweight, easy to operate, and if you can operate one, you can operate the other, the only appreciable difference being how they load. The only controls other than the trigger is the cylinder release on the Ruger and tha slide catch and magazine release on the KAHR.

I will take mine in 38 Special and 45 acp please.

upload_2019-4-11_4-38-45.jpeg

2. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

Kahr c 4"
    Why? Narrow choices in your post. But I do like the kahr in 45

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Do you think the 5 round ruger limit will ever be an issue? Is that a 357 ? How is the recoil with it ? I saw on the other day at a pawn for $400 with zipper case

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

For other people? Honestly, I don't care what they carry and shoot, regardless of make, model, brand, caliber, capacity... As long as it goes bang every time they pull the trigger and only when they deliberately pull the trigger. Honestly.

For me personally, I want a handgun with a fairly natural point of aim and no thumb-safeties etc. which require me to take an extra step or invest additional training to ensure they are disabled when I need to fire. I want a trigger-dingus, a grip safety, or a longish revolver-like trigger press. I have a slight preference for 9mm but I don't feel undergunned with a 380 nor did I when I carried a .32.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I always tell people to carry the pistol that is the easiest for you to master, that carries the most ammunition and shoots the largest caliber bullet that you can control. Try out as many types as possible and find the one that fits you. That might be a 1911, that might be a .22 revolver. Nothings "wrong". First rule of a gun fight....have a gun.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It varies...
    I carry my hammer guns in condition 2 just because.
    Mostly carry a .380 although sometimes a double stack .45 or a 7.62x25.
    Time of day, where am I (are we) going and what am I wearing and how many extra mags am I taking.
    .380 usually one extra mag (15)
    .45 two extra mags (35)
    7.62x25 three extra mags (33).

My travel around Florida kit holds my JHP and 140 rounds of ammo.
    That’s for long drives at night and hotel stays.

Evacuate for Hurricane Irma I had my AK and 6 loaded mags in the car.
    Plus a handgun for each.

There’s no one solution.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. It gets difficult for me to conceal carry in the summer because I no longer wear a coat and loose clothing. I need to get a small 9 millimeter handgun like a Ruger Light Carry Pistol for the hot seasons.

Usually I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 chambered in .40 Smith & Wesson with an external thumb safety. Usually have thirteen rounds but lately I have been carrying an extra magazine loaded with another twelve rounds.

8. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Indeed the general requirements have been noted:

-it's one that you have competence with & confidence in to hit what you aim at
    -it's on that goes bang every time you pull the trigger
    -it's one that is convenient enough to carry that you don't hem and haw about packing it
    -it's one that is sufficient to the task as far as damage to the target is concerned
    -it's one that is easy enough to use when you're stressed, under attack, and possibly injured

For these reasons my EDC is a S&W j-frame, the model 649 in stainless. 5 rounds of .357 will handle most situations. I check the load, stick it in the suede pocket holster, and slip it in my pocket each morning. There's even room in the same pocket for a couple of speedstrips.

I'm way too fat for IWB so this is what works best for me. I picked up a couple of .45acp compact pistols (Glock 30s and Colt Defender) this year which I might carry OWB when weather permits a jacket or vest, but nothing beats the convenience of pocket carry.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I use the DAO pocket .380 most of the time, one extra mag some times, or an IWB .40 XD/SC or PT140 with 12+1, rarely carry a spare mag for that.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I prefer pocket carry since it's readily adaptable to any type of dress in the hottest weather. That primarily limits me to the 9mm Euro-Stun round. I am comfortable with SAO and a thumb safety, but I can also work with a striker-fired/ pre-cocked DAO platform. At this point, I look at the P938 or P365 as perfect carry guns for those roles.

I can go for IWB if If need a .45, which my G30SF can do for me. I have worn that in shorts and a t-shirt on many an occasion, and it is comfortable enough. But IWB does not offer the same level of convenience as pocket carry. I may get a G36 at some point, though. That slimmer profile is pretty slick.

Rerun likes this.
  11. greg_r

It’s not about my choices. It’s about yours. I thought it would be interesting to hear others opinion.

Chuck123 likes this.
  12. greg_r

Those are not mine. I have a LCRX in 38 Special and the KAHR CW45. I found that picture on the web.

I prefer my revolvers to have a hammer, but I think a hammer could be a liability should a social event arise. I am not thumb cocking the revolver and taking careful aim to shoot the miscreant in the eye. I am just shooting in the miscreants direction hoping to stop the threat.

I don’t generally feel undergunned with 5 rounds, but I do see potential but unlikely issues, if I were in a gangland type situation for instance. But if 5 rounds dosent fix the problem, I am likely dead anyways.

The Ruger LCR 357 is a handful. I have shot them and a few cylinders full and I am ready to quit. You can always shoot 38 specials, and have the option of 357 if you feel you need it.
    38BF1D89-8EFD-4FA6-B7A3-8DF30ADF629E.jpeg

lklawson likes this.
  13. shepherd321

Oo mine, didn't understand. The Glk 43 & LC9 are close to perfect.

14. It wasn't my plan when I got it, but I am mostly carrying the LCP now. I'd say 80 percent of the time. It is just soooo easy to carry in the pocket and I've gotten pretty proficient with it. I carry an extra magazine. I'm carrying my LC9 about 10 per cent of the time. I used to carry a SCCY CPX2 pretty exclusively. The other 10 per cent of the time I open carry something.

15. Think1st

Florida
    Pocket carry is the best. It is so convenient to just drop it into the front pocket like putting the wallet in there.

Armynurse, Rerun, bscar and 1 other person like this.
  16. shepherd321

The pocket gun is the 'nothing is going to happen' gun. Little bigger glk43 & LC9, 'something might happen' but still need to conceal. Full size, something will probably happen.

Armynurse, moona11 and ajole like this.
  17. Rerun

Rerun Member

Since 1984, I've carried my Taurus 3" SS .38 Special most of the time.

Mostly, in my pocket, front or back, in four States that I have lived in.

Having only 5 - shots of .38 Special bothered me one time - when I faced four opponents.

eldar

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Armynurse likes this.
  18. Think1st

Florida
    Given my druthers, I'd carry a full-size gun, but convenient concealbility prevents that. That being said, any size gun can be a something-will-happen-gun if you train with it. Properly designed, a pocket gun can shoot as well as a full-size gun if you work with it enough. Yeah, the shorter sight radius and lower capacity are drawbacks, but they don't shake my confidence in their value.

19. shepherd321

I don't even care about sight radius, its that pocket guns are hard to put in the hand correctly compared to guns the size of the LC9

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That’s probably because you are trying to shoot them like a larger gun. They aren’t, so you don’t. Just like you don’t shoot revolvers like pistols, or bolt guns like ARs.