What is your idea of the best carry gun(s) and why?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by greg_r, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

When I drive I usually carry something with a little more oomph and a little more reach as potentially the distances could be a little greater and car doors and windows may be an issue.
    The pocket .380 is for 10 feet or less or if clothing choice excludes anything larger.
    I really like the little kydex holster I got recently.
    It’s close to being perfect while all my other choices are still kinda so-so.

2. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    The G19 is a little too large for EDC for some people, but perhaps can be a good choice. I came across this article that I thought was pretty good.

Massad Ayoob: Why the Glock 19 Is Great For Beginners, Pros

I bought my first Glock 19 in the late 1980s when it came out. I liked the fact that it was roughly the size and weight of the Colt Detective Special .38 revolver I had carried as a backup in the early 1970s, but held 16 rounds instead of six and was easier to shoot. The Glock I used most in the early ’90s was my G17; I shot it better. At the time, 9×19 ammo wasn’t as good then as it is now, and the Glock 30 .45 AUTO won me over when it came out in the late ‘90s.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/massad-ayoob-glock-19-gen-4/

3. SWAGA

Glockaholics and sponsored, all of them.

4. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Not me. Even in the heat and humidity of GA, NC, MO, TX, LA, FL and Latin America. Full sized pistol is carried. I try to go with something nonrusting and low reflective. A nice brushed SS or Chrome is perfect.

moona11 likes this.
  5. Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker Member

I like the G19 too. I haven't owned a Glock in 20 years but I still appreciate them for their intended purpose. At the same time I'm jot a big Glock fanboy that needs one of every model. Just for ME there are only 3 Glock models that matter. The G17,G19 and G20. I include the G20 because I dig everything in 10mm.

6. SWAGA

Nickel plated with gold accents....:D

Jason Tucker likes this.
  7. Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker Member

Your comment reminds me of an article by Massad Ayoob I read in the mid 90s. The article was intended to address the once long lived debate of 9mm versus 45ACP. In the article he explained how it really came down to which season it was and clothing involved. He claimed he actually carried both. In the summer time when everyone was in shorts and T shorts he claimed to carry a single stack Smith in 9mm. Consider that this was all written a while before mini Glocks and full size rounds in smaller guns.
    Anyway in the winter when everyone was layered in flannel , sweat shirts and heavy coats he carried a 45ACP . The theory was that if he had to fire at someone in the winter all those layers would instantly fill the cavity area of the bullets essentially turning them into hardball ammo. And with that in mind he wanted the biggest hardball projectiles he could get.

Rerun likes this.
  8. missiledefender

I go where I'm legally allowed to. I don't let the criminal element run my life.

9. missiledefender

Nope. Silver Chrome HP or CZ 75. I'll carry my Beretta but it's not mine soooo.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Are you wearing bigger shirts? I wear a lot of shirts in the summer that don't tuck in and expose skin if I reach over my head.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Ayoob also recommended the Kel Tec P11.

The Complete Book of Handguns, 1997
    Good Equipment
    by Massad Ayoob
    "The company has taken this new design a long way in a short time... Rick Howard, an extremely knowledgeable pistolsmith, considers the P11 his favorite of the ultracompact 9mm pistols. My friend Harry Adams, an instructor in Massachusetts and several time graduate of the Smith & Wesson Academy, has put more than a thousand rounds throuh his, including a lot of hot CorBon, with no signs of excessive wear, no breakage, and not a single malfunction. Dave Spaulding, the street-smart patrol lieutentant who writes for Combat Handguns, Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, and Police magazines knows several officers who are carrying them for backup, and now carries one for that purpose himself. He has found the current Kel-Tec to be eminiently reliable and, as I also found, surprisingly accurate... [The] P11 pistol has proven itself worthy of consideration by any police officer or law abiding armed citizen."

Firearms For Law Enforcement, 1997
    Kahr On The Road
    by Massad Ayoob
    "The two pistols to which the Kahr K9 is inevitably compared are the only two full-power 9mm Parabellums in its size range: the Austrian Glock 26 and George Kelgren's Kel-Tec P11... [Kelgren's] $300, 14-ounce, 11-shot 9mm remains a tremendous bargain. At the 1996 Joint Services Small Arms Project debates on the Personal Defense Weapon for the U.S. military in the 21st century, I recommended the Kel-Tec P11 as the logical personal weapon for issue or optional purchase for every potential combatant: It was cost-effective, adequate for the closest combat, would fit a uniform pocket and works with NATO 9mm ball."

Guns, 1998 Annual
    Compact Combat Carry Guns
    by Massad Ayoob
    "Polymer frames had been done. Double action only autos had been done. Under-a-pound handguns in fighting calibers had been done. It remained for George Kelgren to bring them together, and his concepts succeeds brilliantly in the now-mature Kel-Tec P11 design... [E]very P11 owner I ran across sang its praises for reliablity... It's the lightest, smallest 9mm carry gun you can buy, if not the easiest to learn to shoot well, and its fans are legion."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Bertus likes this.
  12. Good for you. :clap:

13. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    Its hard to beat the size and capacity of the P11 and I could see my self buying one someday. I see that the LGS has a green one for $295 and a black one for $248 right now.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Kel Tec is discontinuing them.

At least SCCY is still making their copy of it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker Member

That's good info and history you posted. As I mentioned earlier I had a USED P11 back in 2014. When it got a live round stuck in the chamber and just enough out of battery to not fire said round I became very aggravated with it. Aside from that 8 don't like the break down method of the Kel Tec pistols. I DID like the trigger on the P11 better than my previous PF9.
    I still recall when the P11 hit the market. If I'm not mistaken it beat the G26 to the scene in say 96ish? Back then they were in demand like PT Cruisers were in 2001. First time I saw one on the cover of a magazine I instantly knew that whoever had designed my previous Grendel P12 definitely had to be involved with this new pistol. They were SO close in looks it was unmistakable .
    Back when I got my P11 one of the reasons I wanted it was because they used or could use the Smith 59 series mags. And at that time I had a deal working for a Marlin Camp 9 which used the same mags. Well all that fell through but you can see where I was trying to go with my plan.
    Makes me wonder if there are any books on Kelgren. It would be an interesting read. From the work he did with Interdynamics on the KG9/KG99 up to the Kel Tec times. It reminds me of the Mac 10 design and its inventor Gordon Ingram. The interesting part was how it was always a made in GA gun. But the ownership or production changed hands maybe half a dozen times from the late 60s to the mid 80s. Its an iconic design thats instantly recognizable. But most of the people and companies involved with making them went broke or to club Fed. But the Mac made its way all over north GA over the years.

16. missiledefender

2XLG, I wear a XLG without a pistol. Solid earth tones, no side vents, no tuck ins UNLESS youre gonna leave one or two buttons in buttoned by the belt line.

17. missiledefender

Thanks

18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Blasphemy

moona11 likes this.
  19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Yeah, I like to wear more form-fitting shirts. I have more of a slim but athletic build, and if I wear loose shirts, I end up just looking emaciated. That just won't do.

20. Jason Tucker

Jason Tucker Member

Lucky sumbitch...:D

Think1st and Poppa Mike like this.