Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my hot little hands on a 995 soon and I want to start gathering up the componants to start reloading for the carbine. I see alot of lead going downrange in the near future. I am looking to get minimal kick and maximum accuracy out to about 50 yards for as cheap as possible. I would like to use it for friendly steel plate cpmpititions.

For those who reload, what is your load recipe for your carbine?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If anyone has any recipes for the 995 and would like to share with Jimt here, Please do it in PM. I know a few of you have pet loads, but I'm not sure if you want to give up your secrets or not. :) Let's make Jimt feel welcome here at HPFF!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Send me a PM to remind me, and I'll get you some of my load data when I get home from work. I have all my books at the house in my reloading room, so just remind me and I'll get that to you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
PM sent to Jim myself, BUT, and I repeat BUT... I personally can't type fer shyte. It is way too easy to have a typo when you are banging away at a keyboard with your fat thumbs like me and transposing numbers in reloading data could be disastrous.

While I enjoy reading complete load data on the other reloading forums I now frequent, I would never actually use that data if I could not confirm it on a powder manufacturer's website ( I only reload with Hodgdon HP-38=Winchester 231 - http://www.wwpowder.com) or in one of the reloading manuals in my ever growing library of such books.

If you can't afford a reloading manual, and your powder manufacturer's website doesn't have the specific data you need for free, go to your local library and see what they have on the shelves or can gladly order for you from other libraries that do. It would be a violation of copyright laws were you to then take that borrowed manual and scan the pertinent pages for your calibers into your PC or to photocopy the pages for the calibers you reload and put them into a cheapie three-ring binder for your home use. So please don't do that.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
My 995,C 9 and until about a year ago when I had to sell it off my Taurus 92, all seemed to like a diet of Win 231 topped off with 115 gr. jacketed hollow points. Get yourself a good reloading manual. I've got an old Hornady book that still works real well. I'll caution you against getting "hot load syndrome". Just because you can load a bullet to 1350 feet per second doesnt mean it'll shoot accurately. My Hi Points shooting 115 gr. bullets both group well between 900 and 1100 fps. Oh yeah, you may want to invest about 30 bucks in a dial caliper for measuring cases and overall length. Have fun and learn a lot guy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought this thread was locked....

Thanks for the info guys and for NOT putting in any actual load specs...

I will definately start at the minimum charge and as long as it can knock down a steel plate and function the bolt I will be happy. I am all about saving a grain or two of powder and reaping the rewards of quicker target acquisition....

I am still floored at how little powder it takes to move a 9mm, I am used to loading for the .308 and 30 BR. An eight pound jug will last me two years :D

THanks again all,
Jim

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I just ran dry on my one pound jug of Win 231 tonight... but I also loaded over 500 rounds of 9mm just today and I'd already gone through several hundred rounds of 9mm and .45ACP on that same pound of powder.... Damn it, time to get more powder, I just hope I can find some.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Eight pounds? Holy crapskies! I'm still going on a one pound jug of Win. 231 after about four years. Of course I keep getting called away on business these days! ;)
i can go through a pound of powder in a single night if i really get rolling. eight pounds isnt much. ive used four pounds in one day when i did a run of 308 and 30-06.

SW

SW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.