Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a rest of some kind, my tired, old bones need all the help they can get.

If I'm sitting at a bench, I usually use nothing but a folded/rolled-up towel under my elbow, but I have been looking at sand bags, foam blocks, adjustable tripods, more towels, maybe my cat! Anything to make it more comfortable. I've even used my range bag if I brought nothing else.

I used to consider anything but what nature gave me as cheating, but all these WWII-ish bolt action rifles I've been buying are heavy, and who's going to complain if I do use something to help support the rifle.

Don't want anything to heavy, got enough stuff I have to lug to the firing line. Is something adjustable preferred, how easy is it to make a sandbag rest conform to different heights?

I would have added a poll but unsure how to.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Well then I've been "cheating" for over 20 years. I've shot off of sandbags, rucksacks, mono/bi/tripods, shooting sticks, vehicle, range bags, sleds, etc.

I have a set like this:

My buddy has a set up like this:

You're describing a desire to create a set like this:

Depending on your comfort level with sewing, you MIGHT be able to convince @CamoDeafie to create an unstuffed set of interlocking bags that stack and buckle then stuff them yourself?

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
For your elbows, I’d use some closed cell foam like the old military sleeping pads, cut to size.

A bag in the back is good, loose packed so you can squeeze it to raise the butt. The front can be a more solid bag, or a rest. It’s best if the bag can be rolled over to give you two or three height options.

My set up is a lot like the first one Rach showed you, but I don’t use it much, as I shoot a lot more over my truck bed while standing, than I do sitting.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Do a lot of groundhog hunting. Mostly shoot off the hood of my truck. For years I have a set of leather sandbags much like what @Rachgier showed. And I use them like @ajole said. Rest the forearm on the front bag and squeeze the rear bag to adjust aim.

For the range I use a MTM sled. I have been known to take the shed to my Beanfield blinds as well.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking a bipod device like this would come in handy
So that's what it's called 😋 And that would work with any firearm I have, plus 100% adjustable!!! But I have a feeling the price is waaaaaay more than I can afford 😵

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some dense foam, but it's too narrow and would fall down easily. I'm liking all the suggestions so far. There's some sandbags at the range but they look more like bags of hardened cement, probably been out there since the place opened and the benches are made from 2x4, some of which are starting to curl, again, old stuff needing replacing.

Thinking about it, I stand about 1/2 the time because it's easier to reload and make adjustments, plus when I stand the canopy over the range keeps the sun out of my eyes.

I'll check Amazon and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have 3 rests, two of them have Hart bases, 1 has a Hart "top", I made the windage top for the other. The 3rd rest is a "Y" rest...cast-iron Bald Eagle, from Grizzly...it has a custom windage top...
I use Protektor baggs, front and rear...for the non-windage adjustable HART I have an x-y platform to set the rear bag on...
Cheep rests and baggs waste ammo if you are shooting groups......UMMV...

REDD

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
took one of these out of a junk car, welded a flat plate on the small side and flipped it upside down. I throw a sandbag on top and can adjust the thing to any height. It's heavy and teh steel plate welded on is wide and flat - no give, no movement and infinitely adjustable - AND it was free

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I have a few different rests. But mostly forget about them till I get to the range. So I use one of my range bags. For the little sitting I do while out there.

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
I took some blue jeans pants legs, sectioned them and filled them with dried beans. I can stack them to get the right height. You could probably buy corn-hole bags and do the same thing but I liked the being able to make them 12-18" long.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
View attachment 73236 took one of these out of a junk car, welded a flat plate on the small side and flipped it upside down. I throw a sandbag on top and can adjust the thing to any height. It's heavy and teh steel plate welded on is wide and flat - no give, no movement and infinitely adjustable - AND it was free
Dang, that's a great idea. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Dang, that's a great idea. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
If you drill and tap the corners, you can use bolt as adjustable legs on benches that are ... warped or out of true.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
@Dubar the range bag I suggested to you works really well as a rest. Its height and rigidity, combined with stuff already inside of it, makes it a great rest. I've been using mine for that purpose for years.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL!!! I did use it once already for a rest, THANKS!

I spotted a Caldwell TackDriver bag and their handi-Rest on sale on Amazon, plus I had $12 in Amazon credit so I ordered both for $24. Should get them Thursday, going shooting Friday. If they don't work out either my SIL or nephew will get them for Bday presents.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
LOL!!! I did use it once already for a rest, THANKS!

I spotted a Caldwell TackDriver bag and their handi-Rest on sale on Amazon, plus I had $12 in Amazon credit so I ordered both for $24. Should get them Thursday, going shooting Friday. If they don't work out either my SIL or nephew will get them for Bday presents.
If a range bag works, then those dedicated rests will definitely work. The only thing that might make them not work is if you get sick of having extra stuff to haul to the line. In that case, a nice cart will keep you from having to give them away.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
I hate lugging all that crap to the line, so instead I just go shoot in the Comanche National Grasslands. I can pull over and set my target, then drive however far away I want to be, then shoot across the hood of the burban. If I'm feeling SUPER lazy I leave the 3rd row out and lay the seats flat so I can shoot prone right out of the back with my little table set up to support the front of the rifle so the muzzle blast doesn't kill what's left of my hearing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts