Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
Having a shoulder strap for my range bag is a real blessing on the days when I'm hauling more ammo than usual. The trip back off the line is a LOT easier.
I discovered my range bag somehow had the perfect placement to clip right to my assault pack. So much easier. I still hate lugging it all....

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
I've been eyeballing one of those backpack range bags for quite a while. They have some nice ones at Midway.
Back before Dick's lived up to it's name, I bought a field and stream pack to use as a day pack with the scouts because I liked the F&S range bag I had, and they were a matched set. Well after they figured out what I was and I became the shooting sports, medical, survival, fire, and safety badge instructor....I ran out of bag... So I switched back to my assault pack because it had a little more versatility and capacity. That's when I discovered the range bag also clipped to my assault pack. They come in handy if you can find a matching set of bags that can be used singularly or in tandem like that. You can pack for light, medium, or kitchen sink range days.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
This is my setup bipod and a bag shooting off a bench or prone. If it is cheating there is allot of people in matches I shoot with that are cheating. Some guys have have more into the front rest then I have into me gun.
Right? I'm over here like "gimme that brick, I'll make it work." Meanwhile the guy 2 lanes down needed to remortgage his house for the high-speed, low-drag, self-aiming, steam powered, laser-guided sled and couldn't hit any side of a barn even if he was inside it.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Huh. I have about $32k into my usual front rest.:ROFLMAO:

Range bag? Same $32K item. But it packs me, and has AC.😂
Yeah, but does it have seat warmers? 😋 Gotta keep those buns warm and toasty 🥯

·
Registered
970 Posts
Right? I'm over here like "gimme that brick, I'll make it work." Meanwhile the guy 2 lanes down needed to remortgage his house for the high-speed, low-drag, self-aiming, steam powered, laser-guided sled and couldn't hit any side of a barn even if he was inside it.
But these guys can shoot in that 600 match they hit the 6” target everytime only missing the 4” target twice. They had 20 years more shooting experience then me so I hope someday a snot nosed punk like me is talk about how my rest cost more then his gun.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Watched a couple down the range from us last night. Shooting with my oldest to try to get ready for the 75 yard .22 groundhog matches. Daughter got to snorting, then I got a whispered "Daddy, watch him!" Dude was blasting away with an AR at 100 yards and not even connecting with the paper. Don't know what rest he had,but it looked VERY expensive. After a while, it got hilarious! Meanwhile, my daughter is shooting 1" groups with a 50 year old Glenfield and 20 year old minimags off my homemade rest. Dang that girl can shoot! Love to see what she could do with a precision rifle and match ammo!

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
But these guys can shoot in that 600 match they hit the 6” target everytime only missing the 4” target twice. They had 20 years more shooting experience then me so I hope someday a snot nosed punk like me is talk about how my rest cost more then his gun.
Give me a bipod and the sleeper grip. I'll go shot for shot at 600y with accurate wind readings.

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Give me a bipod and the sleeper grip. I'll go shot for shot at 600y with accurate wind readings.
With your AR. (y)

High dollar items aren’t exactly “better”, but they can be easier to manipulate, faster to use, and allow for finer repeatable adjustments.
Which might make them “better”, overall. But then, they’re mostly just comparing equipment and loads, not so much the shooter’s ability. I mean, he has to have trigger control and wind reads...but after that, it comes down to who built the best loads for the best rig.

I watched a thing last month, Erik Cortina was talking about his new magic load. Basically, all he was doing was cupping the base of his bullets. He shot 1.25 inches at 1000. And he uses a bipod and a bag.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
With your AR. (y)

High dollar items aren’t exactly “better”, but they can be easier to manipulate, faster to use, and allow for finer repeatable adjustments.
Which might make them “better”, overall. But then, they’re mostly just comparing equipment and loads, not so much the shooter’s ability. I mean, he has to have trigger control and wind reads...but after that, it comes down to who built the best loads for the best rig.
Precisely my point. I feel that the art of precision shooting is the skill of the shooter. If your gear does 85% of the work that a live field shot needs to land by removing shooter introduced variables? You're no better than a piece of string.

That was one of my problems with USMCVet. He went from being an armory tech to long range shooting expert after one weekend and throwing money in to an expensive rig?

I mean I get it, I do. It's a competitive sport, it's not against the rules, and there are some amazing records out there. I got tired of the BS involved with shooting long range comps in NY. If you weren't part of the high dollar club they found ways to DQ you, deduct points by measuring differently, give you the shitty lane, etc.

Give me a game of a few hundred yard poker, a little hole- in- one golf, maybe even some shotgun bowling. I like the duck pins personally. I would rather shoot solo to test myself than spend money to get fucked over.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Precisely my point. I feel that the art of precision shooting is the skill of the shooter. If your gear does 85% of the work that a live field shot needs to land by removing shooter introduced variables? You're no better than a piece of string.
That's what I meant by "cheating". Only fair way would be if all shooters used the same type of equipment. It's probably why I don't do competitions, there's always someone willing to spend more $$$ to win.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
That's what I meant by "cheating". Only fair way would be if all shooters used the same type of equipment. It's probably why I don't do competitions, there's always someone willing to spend more $$$ to win.
We're on the same page. There's cheating by bracing against a bag full of shot, sand or rice; and then there's "cheating" with a fully supported sled with a T&E bar and recoil mitigation system...

Reactions: Dubar

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Absatively prezactly.

That’s why “Benchrest” is a category, and the LIGHT gun weight limits are up around 17 lbs.

It’s funny/cool that Benchrest has decided to add in shooting for “score” in a lot of places. The old thing was groups, didn’t matter where the group was on a target, small group won. Score shooting needs the group to hit in the rings, a perfect one hole group outside the 1 ring can’t beat a 5” group in the 5 ring, in score competitions.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
Absatively prezactly.

That’s why “Benchrest” is a category, and the LIGHT gun weight limits are up around 17 lbs.

It’s funny/cool that Benchrest has decided to add in shooting for “score” in a lot of places. The old thing was groups, didn’t matter where the group was on a target, small group won. Score shooting needs the group to hit in the rings, a perfect one hole group outside the 1 ring can’t beat a 5” group in the 5 ring, in score competitions.
I was recently talking to a few of my old shooting buddies about just that situation. There was an idea that including a "precision bonus" for lack of a better term, would give more people a chance to place higher where consistency usually wins the day.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
I really feel like a guy that can hit the target with a 6” centered group will beat the guy that can stack bullets in a hole that is 8” off target, in the real world.

Now if that guy with the one hole group can put it on the X....I’ll be suitably impressed. I LIKE groups, but I prefer bullseyes. Mix them together, and that’s impressive.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
I really feel like a guy that can hit the target with a 6” centered group will beat the guy that can stack bullets in a hole that is 8” off target, in the real world.

Now if that guy with the one hole group can put it on the X....I’ll be suitably impressed. I LIKE groups, but I prefer bullseyes. Mix them together, and that’s impressive.
Absolutely. I love the fact that I own a few tack drivers, but that's the gear doing it's job. Then it's up to me to focus on the most important aspect of shooting. The POI.

Reactions: ajole
21 - 40 of 45 Posts