Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some fire starter cubes, looked at the Lifestraws, and the higher volume filters. Got a 4 pack of 1lb propane bottles. I have a propane lantern, 2 burner stove, tent heater.
As of today I probably have enough bar soap to last a year and a half. I got some more dog food from Tractor Supply. I have 258lbs of it for my 3 big dogs. 55, 68, and 78lb doggies. Plus 45lbs of "cookies" so they can have clean teeth, and fresh breath! Nothing worse than dog breath. :p

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Got some fire starter cubes, looked at the Lifestraws, and the higher volume filters. Got a 4 pack of 1lb propane bottles. I have a propane lantern, 2 burner stove, tent heater.
As of today I probably have enough bar soap to last a year and a half. I got some more dog food from Tractor Supply. I have 258lbs of it for my 3 big dogs. 55, 68, and 78lb doggies. Plus 45lbs of "cookies" so they can have clean teeth, and fresh breath! Nothing worse than dog breath. :p
What about lasers? Don't you want doggies with friggin' lasers on their heads when TEOTWAWKI hits?:p

But seriously. That's a good list. I have some blast matches and fire steels for fire starting and a Solo Stove for cooking, too. I have ignited tinder with the blast matches, and when you toss it into the sticks in the Solo Stove, they go up and just keep burning hot as you feed more into it. There's only dust-like ash when you finish.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Foraging in the goodwill store and found a 6" pressed carbon steel skillet.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought a 2 litre hydration bladder for my new back pack.
I need 2 of them. As I have 2 rigs I am assembling.

I have a survival stove that I haven't unboxed that generates electricity to charge a radio or cell phone.

I have a one burner tiny stove that runs on the expensive Isobutane somewhere. I have that furl on my frocery list for next week.

I have been buying paper towels and toilet paper once a week. I am stocked well for that now more than a year supply. Not on my list for next week.

I have been eating canned black beans that are 3 years out of date. They're fine.

I have a vacuum seal machine to make packets of rice and beans with. add the garlic powder to it ahead of time. Maybe add some cumin, or chili powder.

I have a 3" well in the back yard. I have a 2" piece of PVC pipe with a cap. I am going to drill the cap with a hole saw. If my golf ball that I drop down the pipe after it gets to the bottom will seal it good enough to remove the 2" "cylinder" pulled up on a rope it will be nice if the city water is unavailable.

I have been pre-paying for my natural gas. Even if the electricity goes down, and they are still pumping gas.......... I have an infrared wall heater that works without the grid being up. My place is too small for a wood burning stove. I could do it if I had too.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
We bought the regular groceries yesterday and about twenty-four AA Alkaline batteries. It helps keep us from digging into our food storage supplies. I do believe we very likely are up to at least 120 days of food storage.

We also have over 130 gallons of water stored and a Berkey water purification system and a water dispenser. A propane grill with two full tanks is also available.

I want to get some of those survival stoves you posted Tennessee Trailer.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought 4 of those disc batteries at HF for $3.69 for the 4 pack. I meant to buy some Duracell's in that style for the red dots when I was at Wally World. Didn't see them at one display in the automotive display, forgot to check by the registers. I will be putting them in my compartments on my Magpul stocks.

I took inventory of my spare 5.56 bolts. I have 5 plus new ones. I got some for $15 a piece with MPI markings on them before the Wuhan Red Death appeared.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
Picked up one of these.

I have an endless water supply (spring fed 1/2 acre pond) with fish. But needed something to make it "drinkable" in case of emergency.

Found it for a decent price and free shipping.

lifestraw community.JPG

Designed for emergencies and humanitarian work, the LifeStraw Community is our highest capacity, longest lasting, ultra-durable water purifier. The Community meets the highest requirements of the World Health Organization and the US EPA, removing virtually all viruses (99.999%), bacteria (99.9999%), parasites (99.99%), and microplastics (99.999%) from water. The purifier also reduces cloudiness due to dirt and silt. LifeStraw Community contains a 25 liter source water tank and a 25 liter safe water tank, with a lifetime capacity of approximately 26,000 gallons (100,000 liters) that allows it to serve 100 people for 3 to 5 years. Designed for harsh conditions, the LifeStraw Community is easy to assemble on-site and requires no batteries, spare parts, or chemicals.

The membrane ultrafilter removes:

• 99.999999% of bacteria (E. coli)

• 99.999% of parasites (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc.)

• 99.999% of microplastics

• 99.999% of viruses (Rotavirus, Hepatitis A, etc.)

Also got a spare Filter... just in case.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I'm (mostly) set for hurricane season:

• Generator hooked up to the house and test run
  • 7 days of fuel
  • 7 days of drinking water for two
  • Storage unit rented on the 3rd floor of their building in case of evac
  • Evac adress on the Atlantic coast
  • 10 loaded mags of .308
  • 500 rounds of 9mm
  • Some 'extra' ammo
  • Hurricane accordeon shutters on order expected end of Aug.
  • New fence
Today had the carport repaired as it still had damage from the last hurricane.
I think I'm ready.
Just need to start filling up the freezer.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up one of these.

Designed for emergencies and humanitarian work, the LifeStraw Community is our highest capacity, longest lasting, ultra-durable water purifier. The Community meets the highest requirements of the World Health Organization and the US EPA

Also got a spare Filter... just in case.
Wow! And with the proper filtration why do we need chlorine, and fluoride? :stir: :lol:
I think the Lifestraw filters will filter out radiation fallout too. There is several ponds around me. And a spring creek. As long as it rains every once and a while.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm (mostly) set for hurricane season:

• Generator hooked up to the house and test run
  • 7 days of fuel
  • 7 days of drinking water for two
  • Storage unit rented on the 3rd floor of their building in case of evac
  • Evac adress on the Atlantic coast
  • 10 loaded mags of .308
  • 500 rounds of 9mm
  • Some 'extra' ammo
  • Hurricane accordeon shutters on order expected end of Aug.
  • New fence
Today had the carport repaired as it still had damage from the last hurricane.
I think I'm ready.
Just need to start filling up the freezer.
Does Florida have a firearm confiscation law for natural disaster times? After the Katrina confiscations TN passed a law saying confiscation will not happen.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
Wow! And with the proper filtration why do we need chlorine, and fluoride? :stir: :lol:
I think the Lifestraw filters will filter out radiation fallout too. There is several ponds around me. And a spring creek. As long as it rains every once and a while.
Got it for $325 from Zoro. Free shipping and got replacement filter from lifestraw:

https://www.lifestraw.com/collections/replacement-filters-spares-for-lifestraw-community

$50 not so bad.

Seems like a great long term solution.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
Registered
653 Posts
Saw a sale on some 10x50 binoculars at Cabelas. Think I'll go pick those up.

Reactions: 1024Megabytes

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I have various means to purify water. From iodine to filters. LifeStraw is a very good filter. . But honestly, I prefer to boil my water, and always will if given the chance. Even if I run it through a filter first, which I often do. Getting the stuff out is good, killing it is better.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Does Florida have a firearm confiscation law for natural disaster times? After the Katrina confiscations Tennesee passed a law saying confiscation will not happen.
Florida has red flag gun confiscation laws and they have already confiscated thousands of firearms from Florida citizens using it. It depends on what county you are in though if they have been using it or not. The State of Florida, in my opinion, already has half of its 2nd Amendment liberties gone.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
I have various means to purify water. From iodine to filters. LifeStraw is a very good filter. . But honestly, I prefer to boil my water, and always will if given the chance. Even if I run it through a filter first, which I often do. Getting the stuff out is good, killing it is better.
Oh definitely. Filter then on top of wood stove if it ever came to that.

Still its like a water cooler on steroids lol.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Does Florida have a firearm confiscation law for natural disaster times? After the Katrina confiscations TN passed a law saying confiscation will not happen.
I seem to recall that Florida actually passed a law allowing non-CCW holders to carry concealed if transporting weapons for evacuation in order to protect those weapons.

*knock on wood* We shouldn't ever be seeing anything like what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. *knock on wood*

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seem to recall that Florida actually passed a law allowing non-CCW holders to carry concealed if transporting weapons for evacuation in order to protect those weapons.

*knock on wood* We shouldn't ever be seeing anything like what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. *knock on wood*
You can carry a loaded handgun in a car in Florida without a permit. Follow the rules.

You have no idea what really happened in Andrew. Masterful cover up on the death toll.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
You made me look it up

Chapter 252.36(5)(h) states the Governor may:

(h) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles. However, nothing contained in ss. 252.31-252.90 shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in the commission of a criminal act.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts