Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
The local garden center is selling one hundred foot lengths of 22 gauge wire on spools that are green in colour for $20 each.

They are very tough requiring a wire cutter to cut off smaller lengths. Simply flexing the wire back and forth takes too long to weaken the wire enough to break it.

I envision using this wire to aid in the construction of shelters, as a permanent trip wire, or on lashings that need to be resistant to moisture.

Rerun
Better off buying 500ft spools of construction line for $5/ea. A single strand holds 50lbs, won't rot or mildew, and is easily braided together to create a thicker and more durable line if necessary.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Due to the generosity of forum member over at BCUSA; I was gifted this pile of things
Road surface Window Asphalt Gas Font

Left to right, empty Altoids tins (BCUSA has a tendency to make Personal Survival kits that fits these lol); Nite Ize light and mini S clip, hollow telescoping tube for air straw for fires, bag of birch bark for fires, a length of jute, a match case, some kind of cordage, mini pliers, Swiss army knife and sheath, Case pocket knife, fire steel and block, folding saw for tinder, and a Buck 877 Maverick. The Swiss Army Knife and Buck are meant for my son when he's older but I think his big sister will claim them before he does :rolleyes:

And for myself, I got from Tacswap website, a Ka-Bar 1211 7" straight edge survival/fighting/utility knife with glass filled nylon sheath.
Tool Gas Cylinder Auto part Metal

·
Premium Member
22,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
I got some stuff from a friend who moved out of country. One thing is a Case lock blade. Not sure which one. You need a full box of Altoids, never know when Monica Lewinsky might drop by! Or was that Pop Rocks?

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,897 Posts
Better off buying 500ft spools of construction line for $5/ea. A single strand holds 50lbs, won't rot or mildew, and is easily braided together to create a thicker and more durable line if necessary.
Yes, using wire for tying is a huge waste. If one needs the strength of metal wire, there is stainless tie wire for those applications.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
So,
use string for snares?

Not happening.

Wire works best.

Rerun
At no point in your post about the wire did you mention building snares. You said:
I envision using this wire to aid in the construction of shelters, as a permanent trip wire, or on lashings that need to be resistant to moisture.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
At no point in your post about the wire did you mention building snares. You said:
And...?

One picks items for survival that are multipurposed.

A building wired together will be Superior to one tied together with fabric cordage even if sealed against the elements.

Just travel across the US fields and you'll find property fenced off with wire fencing.
Much of it more than a hundred years old.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
And...?

A building wired together will be Superior to one tied together with fabric cordage even if sealed against the elements.

Just travel across the US fields and you'll find property fenced off with wire fencing.

Rerun
And again. You're not going to string a fence with a spool of 20ga wire.

Second of all I would LOVE it if you came out west here and found some actual 100 year old wire fences that are still up, tensioned, functional, and have NEVER been replaced. Matter of fact, I'll give you directions to a ranch in Texas that's been in my woman's family for over 100 years, and there isn't a single original fence left on the 1,000 acre property.

Most conventional wire fences will only survive 10 years exposed to the elements, 30 years of coated, AND that is usually 9ga wire, not thin ass 20ga.

You are so full of shit it's ridiculous. Hell, the US patent for barbed wire is only 140 years old. You're telling me that there are ORIGINAL barbed wire fences that are still standing? GFYS.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
And...?

Rerun
3 words for ya’. Tarred Bank Line.

I have been using it as long as I can remember. Today it will cost you about $30 a pound for braided. If you want to save a few dollars, you can buy a pound of twisted for about $10 less. So cheaper than wire. And twisted has the advantage that you can untwist it and get smaller cordage. Both braided or twisted are just as strong and both do the same job, just that twisted will unravel on you unless you tie a stop knot or melt the ends.

I keep and use 4 sizes. below are the approximate feet per pound and breaking strength:
  • #18 - 1000 - 150#
  • #36 - 500 - 300#
  • #72 - 200 - 600#
  • #96 - 150 - 850#
I have used #120, which is about 1000# test and about 100 feet to the pound, but don’t normally keep it stocked

use it for trot lines, jug lines, nets, snares (yes I said snares. It works wonderfully) lashing, just whatever you would use wire or cordage for. It’s almost impossible to untie knots, except slip knots, in bank line. So to recover it you generally have to cut the knots out. No big disadvantage over wire, as you might untwist the wire to recover, but that weakens straight wire, braided wire is almost impossible to untie and kinks when you do, and twisted wire becomes almost unusable - and - weaker when you untie it. Plus tarred bank line is water and rot resistant if not proof.

#96 makes excellent ridge lines and #18 makes excellent Prussik loops. I have a Hobo Camp in my bottom land that I built using tarred bank line what? 6 - 7 years ago? It’s still standing and I use it regularly for those short couple of hours get-a-ways.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
3 words for ya’. Tarred Bank Line.

I have been using it as long as I can remember. Today it will cost you about $30 a pound for braided. If you want to save a few dollars, you can buy a pound of twisted for about $10 less. So cheaper than wire. And twisted has the advantage that you can untwist it and get smaller cordage. Both braided or twisted are just as strong and both do the same job, just that twisted will unravel on you unless you tie a stop knot or melt the ends.

I keep and use 4 sizes. below are the approximate feet per pound and breaking strength:
  • #18 - 1000 - 150#
  • #36 - 500 - 300#
  • #72 - 200 - 600#
  • #96 - 150 - 850#
I have used #120, which is about 1000# test and about 100 feet to the pound, but don’t normally keep it stocked

use it for trot lines, jug lines, nets, snares (yes I said snares. It works wonderfully) lashing, just whatever you would use wire or cordage for. It’s almost impossible to untie knots, except slip knots, in bank line. So to recover it you generally have to cut the knots out. No big disadvantage over wire, as you might untwist the wire to recover, but that weakens straight wire, braided wire is almost impossible to untie and kinks when you do, and twisted wire becomes almost unusable - and - weaker when you untie it. Plus tarred bank line is water and rot resistant if not proof.

#96 makes excellent ridge lines and #18 makes excellent Prussik loops. I have a Hobo Camp in my bottom land that I built using tarred bank line what? 6 - 7 years ago? It’s still standing and I use it regularly for those short couple of hours get-a-ways.
That sounds usable.

Better than that spool stuff Rachgier suggested.

Thanks.

I'll look it up.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
And again. You're not going to string a fence with a spool of 20ga wire.

Second of all I would LOVE it if you came out west here and found some actual 100 year old wire fences that are still up, tensioned, functional, and have NEVER been replaced. Matter of fact, I'll give you directions to a ranch in Texas that's been in my woman's family for over 100 years, and there isn't a single original fence left on the 1,000 acre property.

Most conventional wire fences will only survive 10 years exposed to the elements, 30 years of coated, AND that is usually 9ga wire, not thin ass 20ga.

You are so full of shit it's ridiculous. Hell, the US patent for barbed wire is only 140 years old. You're telling me that there are ORIGINAL barbed wire fences that are still standing? GFYS.
I guess you never heard of electric fencing, right?

16, 17 1/2 and 20 gauge wire is used for electric fences.

14 gauge barbed wire fences installed between WW I and WW II are all over Texas mounted to the original Borach posts.

9 gauge is mostly unheard of anyplace I know.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
That sounds usable.

Better than that spool stuff Rachgier suggested.

Thanks.

I'll look it up.

Rerun
Tarred bank line is braided nylon. Guess what? Construction string comes in either braided nylon or braided polypropylene and is the lowest tensile strength of both the nylon and polypropylene twines. Polypropylene is also stronger and more resistant to physical stress than nylon where nylon is more UV resistant, lower friction, more malleable, and can withstand higher temperatures. Look up Tyger Twine. It's polypropylene and it comes anywhere from 110# to over 750#.

Again, you're a moron, but you think you're smarter than you actually are.

I guess you never heard of electric fencing, right?

16, 17 1/2 and 20 gauge wire is used for electric fences.

14 gauge barbed wire fences installed between WW I and WW II are all over Texas mounted to the original Borach posts.

9 gauge is mostly unheard of anyplace I know.

Rerun
Most electric fences utilize aluminum or mixed metal, high-tensile strength, galvanized or poly-coated braided wire between 12ga and 17ga based on how long of a stretch needs to be run and the amount of juice that needs to be pushed through it to maintain effectiveness. The wire comes with Class I - III coatings to increase longevity. Class I will only last about 10 years. Class III will get you about 30 of you're lucky and your livestock don't bump in to it too often. Out here in Colorado with our dry rocky soil and low humidity, electric fences require more grounding rods and higher joules from the energizers. We also have to use low or wide impedance energizers because a high impedance or continuous current energizers create longer duration sparks when something makes contact with it which can cause brush fires to ignite, despite being lower voltage. Therefore it's much safer to use a high voltage, short-pulse to reduce heat build up and lower the risk of an accidental fire. But what the fuck do I know about electric fencing... OH, I know! They don't use cheap ass 22ga green paddle wire that's probably sturdy enough to make jewelry with or do arts and fucking crafts. It's not even thick enough to qualify as bailing wire.

And yes, her ranch utilized the same uncoated barbed wire they used back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Guess what? It rusted off the posts and has needed to be replaced several times over. Hell I've got pictures of her great-grandparents, who settled the land back in the 1800's,out stringing fences and read journal and diary entries about the range wars the were happening around Bandera. There's 100 years in the place just between her and her father. He was in his 60's when she was born and she's a month younger than I am. She's slowly replacing the fences that he replaced when she was growing up.

You will not find a functional, intact fence line with 100+ year old wire in Texas. I don't give a good god damn how much you think it's true.

The land I hunt on, aka The Comanche National Grasslands, also home to the Santa Fe trail has been fenced in to parcels for decades and I can find curled up chunks of rusted to shit barbed wire still nailed to random posts all over the place, but it isn't a fully functional fence line.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Obviously you are so worldly that there is nothing on this Earth that contradicts your own experiences.

Grow up.

The name calling is something children do.

It lowers your IQ by at least 50 points.

Rerun
Trying to explain reality to your ignorant ass has cost me more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Bad experience yesterday. Went to get kerosene for my lamps in the house. And everyone is out. The station owner told me ,there's a kerosene shortage. And maybe a week or more for delivery!

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
22,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Bad experience yesterday. Went to get kerosene for my lamps in the house. And everyone is out. The station owner told me ,there's a kerosene shortage. And maybe a week or more for delivery!
Youtu.be has videos on alternative fuels .

·
Premium Member
22,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
I was looking for another Lifestraw today. Same isle as where the 1lb bottles of propane are. NONE! The hunters probably bought it all up. There was 15-20 isobutane mix cans there.

341 - 358 of 358 Posts