What makes an 'Expert'...?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Rerun, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

What qualifications are needed to make one person an 'Expert' in a given field?

I was taught, long ago, that an EXPERT was a person who knew a lot about a given subject.

Using that definition, many, if not most of us on this Website, could be considered 'Experts' in the firearms field. In one form or another.

Thoughts, please.

eldar

2. Expert.
    Breakdown into subparts
    Ex- hasbeen
    spurt- a drip under pressure

LOL sorry, couldn't resist given the fun earlier ;)

I much prefer the term "guru" :rolleyes:

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

To me.... Experts are excellent in their field, AND smart enough to know they don't know everything in their field, and strive to keep learning....
    We all know the personality types...... I personally prefer an expert who says to me upon being asked a question, this is what I think, let me double check to be sure.... As opposed to the guy who just says, yup, that's it.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

It all varies on the subject at hand. I have given "expert" testimony at arson trials and to the grand jury. There are State Fire Instructors that have more firefighting and pump operator experience than I do but they consider me an "expert" at fire suppression using CAFS (Compressed Air Foam Systems) and pump operations because it is a completely different suppression technique when compared to straight water. My department considers me an "expert" level rescue technician based in my training.

When I testified in front of a grand jury, and later at trial, for an assault case at a club I worked at; I was introduced as an "expert" witness and my expertise was proven by listing my combat training through the Corps, hours of training and certifications through NYS as a licensed security officer, and my position as a sworn fire police officer and fire investigator with my fire department.

Would I consider myself an "expert" at firearms? No. Just because I qualified expert on the range with rifle and pistol doesn't make me an expert. It simply makes me an accurate shooter.

By no means does an expert designation make a person the be all, end all of information of a particular subject either. It just means that they are well versed in the subject and their opinion holds a higher value when compared to Joe Schmo, even if Mr. Schmo is dead nuts on with his information.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    An expert is someone who appears to know everything about something, yet never claims to.

6. Bull

That's a damn fine summary.......

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

Well, I just trademarked the Term "expert" and now will be selling the rights to call yourself an "Expertâ„¢".

Send your PMs directly to my inbox along with your you paid yearly subscription....

8. At time each of us are the 'expert' and at other times each of us are the 'kindergarten'.

For example: Most of the time, in a group of people, consider me an expert metal worker and ask me questions. But when I'm with one or more tool and die makers, I'm only asking numerous questions.

9. Bull

Well luckily I call myself a facilitator of subject geniusosity, so I shall keep my money.

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You got that wrong....
    Expert is a self appointed title.

From Florida:
    Y'all step back....I'm an expurt...

[​IMG]

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    And that's your cue to grab a beer and watch them collect their Darwin Award.

12. Bull

Ohhh now..... Obama reads off a TelePrompTer just fine....

13. Always liked these

[ame="https://vimeo.com/60303469"]https://vimeo.com/60303469[/ame]

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Expertly speaking, an expert is someone who can expertly provide sufficient information, whether relative or not, to convince the stupidest person in the conversion that they are correct, therefore establishing the proper amount of "uh huh" needed to be correct, and therefore deemed an expert.

16. Considering that James Yeager calls himself an expert, it leaves a lot to the meaning.

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

This is the definition of a 'Classic Bullshyter' or, a 'Politician'...

eldar

18. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    In my line of work, you're an expert if the judge says you are.

19. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

I agree with some, expert is used way too often..........would you consider Eric Clapton an expert Guitar player ?

because he doesnt

20. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

Excellent.