What paint to use on Shotgun Receiver???

Discussion in '2010' started by fishguy1313, Jun 11, 2010.

1. I'm gonna paint my entire shotgun. It's a mossberg500 with ati folder and forend. Is there a paint I can use to paint the receiver and plastic parts of the gun? How should I "prepare" the receiver for paint? Sanding? Any advice would be great.

2. Hope we get a better range report after the paint job. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. yunggunz87

yunggunz87 Member

ok
    What ever you do use high temp paint, heat will make it flake.

4. Have you considered Powder Coating? A friend is doing my Kel Tec P-40 right now.

5. yunggunz87

yunggunz87 Member

ok
    anodized would be awsome

6. Powder coating would be great, but too expensive. Should I sand it down or what? Use some expensive metal paint on the receiver and some duracoat on the plastic stock/forend? Then clear coat the whole thing? Little help here folks!!!

7. If you are going to use paint use alloy wheel paint & fusion for plastic. You may want to check powder coating prices they are not that expensive.

8. bentley

bentley Well-Known Member

Did you give up on the Duracoat? IMO, that is the best option.

9. ^ If I can duracoat the whole thing I will. I was just running past you guys again. I didn't get a real definite answer on the last thread I posted. I can duracoat the entire gun? Thanks guys. I really want to start this project.

10. Beowolf1911

Beowolf1911 Member

You can duracoat the whole thing, a thourough cleaning and a rub down with denatured alcohol should prep it.

11. Do the one you like best. I think you can powdercoat for about the same price.
    Good luck with which ever you choose!