Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 4595 carbine for Christmas and it is my first tactical style rifle,I mostly just have guns for hunting and a few handguns for home defense. I was wondering, if I could use my carbine for deer hunting. I live in Kentucky and I have already checked and it would be legal to do it. I know there are a lot more limitations on a pistol caliber round as compared to a rifle caliber even through a carbine. I currently deer hunt with a 50.cal muzzle loader and a 12 gauge smooth bore with rifled slugs, so I am used to big bullets that aren't traveling very fast and that works for me cause I rarely have a shot over a hundred yards. I have been looking into different rounds that might work for deer and I am leaning toward a 185 grain bullet that is +p loaded so that I can pick up some velocity and foot pounds for knock down power. I was also considering either a hollow point, jacked hollow point, or a soft point for the bullet type. I am open to all suggestions and would love to hear how some of your all's experiences with hunting with the carbine.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I personally would not hunt deer with a .45 Auto carbine. I would not want to track wounded game.

If you really want to hunt with a .45 Auto carbine I would get 230 grain +P ammunition and not try to take a shot more than 45 yards away.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I don't hunt but I am not opposed to it, I just enjoyed a tasty sausage sandwich. If you are going to shoot an animal, kill it. Don't let it linger between living and dieing.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would first find out how tight the groups are at 25, 50, so on. I reload my own, but I have not shot pass 50 yds yet with my reloads. The 3 gun ranges I used, that have 50/100 yds won't let you shoot pass 30 yds (stupid) Point being, big groups down range won'twork. Let us know how you do on your next hunt

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
At 100 yards a .45 ACP will still have at least 200-300 lbs of energy left, and that heavy bullet can penetrate. That an be deadly, but maybe not as humanely deadly as one would like without really good shot placement.

But then, we all know of deer shot through the boiler room with a full on rifle that ran a quarter mile with a blown up heart and holes in both lungs. Nothing is ever certain.

Just make sure you can hit where you want, repeatedly, with your hunting load, at known ranges, before you go out and gut shoot a deer.;)

Reactions: Rerun

·
Feral Hog Hunter
146 Posts
I've hunted deer with 385 gr hollow point point 12 ga. slugs and pigs with my 4595 and 200 gr hornady 200 gr JHP's. A good size pig will need multiple hits. I have never had a deer get up after hitting it with one of the above mentioned slugs. For deer hunting, stick with the slugs.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
If you reload, try the 225 gr Hornaday FTX bullet. It's what they put in the .45 Leverevolution for the .45 LC.
Maybe the Hornaday Critical Duty in .45 ACP. It's +P rated and may give the ftlb you need for deer. I'd stay within 50 yards with each if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the response, I defiantly want to be humane. After doing some testing I will definitely not be taking a shot much past 50 yards. But at those distances I was able to obtain a offhand group of three inches at the worst, which I think is definitely a reasonable margin of error for hunting. I haven't tried any +p ammo yet maybe that will let me increase my effective range. I'll keep you guys posted on what results I have. I might might try to do some coyote hunting with the 4595 simply cause if the follow up shot ability and because most of my stand are very tight at the most a hundred yards.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
I've hunted deer with 385 gr hollow point point 12 ga. slugs ... For deer hunting, stick with the slugs.
Its hard getting those slugs into my 30-06.:(

But seriously...we often need more range out here in the wide open west. No one I know of would hunt deer with a shotgun.;)

I understand, it makes total sense in other places. Just saying, we aren't all hunting in the same forests...or in forests at all.:p

·
Registered
451 Posts
I took a white tail with my 4095ts last season the shot was only around 40 yards and honestly I would not recommend going any farther than that with any of the carbines.

·
Feral Hog Hunter
146 Posts
But seriously...we often need more range out here in the wide open west. No one I know of would hunt deer with a shotgun.;)

I understand, it makes total sense in other places. Just saying, we aren't all hunting in the same forests...or in forests at all.:p
You got that right! I was limited by law to use a shotgun with slugs. This is when I lived in Iowa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to use 45 super in my hi point. BUT..... that's a lot of pressure, a lot more then even +p ammo. I don't think that would be very good for my 4595. Does anyone have any recommendations for some super fast and flat shooting (for a 45acp) ammo that would be good for a 75 yard shot?
Would love to here some success stores.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I personally would not hunt deer with a .45 Auto carbine. I would not want to track wounded game.

If you really want to hunt with a .45 Auto carbine I would get 230 grain +P ammunition and not try to take a shot more than 45 yards away.
I agree with the 230+P. Personally I would limit it to 50 yds & I would use Hornady XTP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hornady Critical Duty .45 cal +P has the stats to do the job on deer sized game.
Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50yds 100yds
975/464 927/420 887/384
You'll get even more fps with the 4595's 17.5 inch barrel. Even at 100yds this should deliver deadly performance on deer. At any distance, the key is 'can you consistently put rounds in an 8-10 inch vital area target'? I can with my 4595 out to 100yds and I'll be hunting deer with it next week.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok hear is a question. Would you or has anybody used a 9mm for deer hunting. Oh one more thing can you use a red/green dot scope for deer hunting in Ga.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
Ok hear is a question. Would you or has anybody used a 9mm for deer hunting. Oh one more thing can you use a red/green dot scope for deer hunting in Ga.
If it was around 20 yards, and I could head shoot it, sure nuff!..... Id probably not worry about a vital shot at that range either.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
Hornady Critical Duty .45 cal +P has the stats to do the job on deer sized game.
Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50yds 100yds
975/464 927/420 887/384
You'll get even more fps with the 4595's 17.5 inch barrel. Even at 100yds this should deliver deadly performance on deer. At any distance, the key is 'can you consistently put rounds in an 8-10 inch vital area target'? I can with my 4595 out to 100yds and I'll be hunting deer with it next week.
Don't be shy about posting pics!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Deer hunt with a 995?? Are you crazy??? (It's a good thing I didn't get anything the day this picture was taken, I forgot to disable the laser and that is illegal when hunting)...

Dropped 1 small doe so far this year with my 995 (using Critical Duty +p)... Sorry no pics on this one...

Got this big doe last year (using buffalo bore +p+)..

Is this gun an ideal deer gun? NO, but it will do the job if you do yours... I used the gun last year just because and the area was close shots... I used the gun this last time because I was brush hunting in an area that only honey badgers, and big foot would consider getting into, at times crawling through brush holes that the deer made... It was a NO-go for my 7400 30-06, too close and to hard on finish, area too heavy and tight to swing my long barrel slug gun around (even though this is a slugs speciality)..

I plan on getting a 4595 to replace "brush gun" duty my 995 is doing now... I like that the HP are cheap, ugly, and wear scars well, also that you have all the ammo you should even need attached to the gun (extra mag holder on stock)...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts