Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other day I go into a gun shop and I was given attitude right off the bat, for what reason I don't know. I asked the guy if he carried any Hi-Points and he said "No." Right after that he says "All it is is a pipe stuck on a plank of wood that goes BOOM".... Well I've never owned one but I know that's bullshit. I just got really turned off by the whole attitude and everything... Don't think I'll go back to that place even though he said he could order in.

Anyways, I'm getting my first gun & my first High-Point and I'm having trouble deciding the caliber. My first choice would be the .45 because of the stopping power, but the .9mm ammo is cheaper and I'm planning on collecting a decent number of bullets to have on hand. Anyways any suggestions on which caliber and ever which specific round would be awesome. I got my heart set on HP.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Hold, caress, fondle, and touch every model you can get your hands on... that way you can make a wise decision. It all boils down to what you "feel" comfortable with... and if you're planning on it being a CCW, can you conceal it. You hold the answers... in your hands.
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hold, caress, fondle, and touch every model you can get your hands on... that way you can make a wise decision. It all boils down to what you "feel" comfortable with... and if you're planning on it being a CCW, can you conceal it. You hold the answers... in your hands.
Welcome aboard!
you said CCW in CA.... :shock:

funny story, i was there a few years ago at in-n-out and there were some cops there, i chatted with them about ccw permits. they told me pretty much you have to know the governor to get one, he then asked if we just gave them out to everyone in TX. i smiled and said yep. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well not sure about CCW at this time, but def holster carry. I'll need the gun to go thru training for armed security so its win win

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Food for thought, the .40 cal is in between the 9mm and .45acp in cost of ammo, and can outperform at least on paper, the average .45acp round.

May be a good place to start and go from there.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Their problem is that they only want to sell the S&W, Sigs, Glocks, etc... that they make big money on.
They only make a small profit on the HP's so they'd rather not sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I started with a C9, for the reasons you mention: ammo costs and -- hey -- I never fired a pistol before. I wanted to start with something midrange.

Later, I realized that -- first -- I wasn't wrong, and the C9 (and 9mm in general) is great.

But -- second -- I wanted something a little bigger.

Bought the .45 and love it. I does, indeed, throw more lead downstream in wads, but it's subtle about it: the kick is not greater, and perhaps less, and its very accurate.

Go where your heart leads, but -- wherever that may be -- buy something that goes BANG!

·
514 Posts
Just for what it's worth, I went in looking for a C9 and came out with a CF380 just because "it felt better". I love it and won't trade it. The truth is, whatever you decide on is the right decision. The entire line is excellent and it is not the round that makes the gun effective, it is the person behind the sites.

cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Just for what it's worth, I went in looking for a C9 and came out with a CF380 just because "it felt better". I love it and won't trade it. The truth is, whatever you decide on is the right decision. The entire line is excellent and it is not the round that makes the gun effective, it is the person behind the sites.

cheers,
Kyu
????? iit felt better??? it is the same thing as a c9 mounted on the same frame, same mags. Only diff is a few oz in the slide.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
"My first choice would be the .45 because of the stopping power"

Ain't NO such animal! Even a 45 will not stop someone if they are drunk enough, crazy enough, or just plain MEAN enough. Even a 9MM with the proper shot placement will do the job BUT it's gotta be shot placement even a lowly 22 will do it as well if it hits the right spot. Don't kid yourself on stopping power. YOU decide what you are comfortable shooting and practice [ I carry the C9 at work] and am comfortable with it cause I KNOW WHERE I WILL BE AIMING when the time ever comes I need to shoot

·
Registered
591 Posts
Loxxa,
So are you saying that you are going to carry this gun for security purposes? If so, you do not want the 40 or 45 because they are so massive for carrying. You will not be disappointed with the C9. Don't by into the stopping power fallacy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shooter z hit the nail on the head... it is shot placement that is the key to getting the job done.

If you are practicing for self defense, get a hold of some B27 body silhouette targets http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/silhouette/ or some IDPA if your in a PC type of gun club that won't allow the B27 silhouette type targets.

Practice at 3, 5 and 7 yards..

I like 9mm, 40 and ..45 acp as the 45 acp just makes bigger holes :lol:

9mm is no sloutch round either, as many LEO's still carry 9mm on duty.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Some dealers are just idiots. To actively shun an opportunity to make money, whatever floats their boat I guess.

As for the 9mm, as far as I know it holds the distinction of being the only caliber in history ever specifically banned from production by a war treaty. I believe it was at the end of WWII (maybe it was WWI) the treaty/cease fire/whatever that ended the war specifically prohibited Germany from producing 9mm by name. If that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what would.

Of course there is the fact the original loadings were quite a bit more substantial in terms of power and velocity than the run-of-the-mill stuff you'll find today, but then again, thats true of every caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loxxa

If you would post the dealers name and address....

We could do a mass mailing from Hi Point owners that are very satisified owners I might add.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to two gun shops yesterday just to check 'em out. The owner of the first one recoiled at the mention of Hi-Point - said too many people have brought 'em in for repairs and he can't work on 'em. Neither of us could figure out why since they have the lifetime warranty. The selection there wasn't very impressive, the prices nothing to write home about, and the store fairly empty of customers.

The second shop I went to was a bit different. They didn't carry Hi-Point, but the owner had nothing but good to say about 'em. The selection great, the prices reasonable to say the least, and the store was packed.

Go figure.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Really the bigger issue than calebre is frame size.

9mm and 45acp will effectively get the job done.

Go put your hands around a jhp and a c9 see which one you like the feel of better I did and came out with a JHP I am a very big fan of the 45acp round so i was a bit biased from the get go.

Stopping power stats have alot of BS math in them that makes a 45acp seem much better than a 9mm but I would trust either with my life as long as i could trust the weapon to go bang everytime i squeeze the boom switch, I and i trust my JHP to do that (and you can club a seal to death with the thing in a pinch)

I vote JHP (but as all my friends say im prolly compensating for something

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Did Hi Point sell only one JCP 40 S&W and I bought it? LOL

Everyone but me is either 9mm or 45acp :think:

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
WELL!! If they had a 40 S&W when I got the C9 I would have goptten it instead [I later got the 4095] Some time I wanna get a 40 to go with the carbine

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Good to hear ShooterZ, I dont feel quite as alone now :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts