Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never thought of getting a ccw permit (since after all el paso, texas was named third safest city in the u.s.) till i got the paper this morning and saw this story. wtf are these people thinking. my question now is this. what should i expect at the course. what do they actually talk about for 12 hours? what are the distances they test you when firing your weapon? anyone in texas know what i should expect? thanks guys/gals.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_8400810

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
It varies by state. In Georgia, no certification is required, though it's a good idea. The course -- rightfully -- is heavily oriented toward legal and safety issues, and much less toward facility with weapons. There are lectures on law, safety, and the mechanics of different styles of firearms, such as wheelgun vs. semi-auto, various calibers, and cleaning and maintenance.

This is followed by a range test, though the primary goal of the instructors at this point is not to teach sharpshooting, but rather to watch the attendees and the manner -- safe or not -- in which they handle their firearms after exposure to the rules.

That said, if you're serious about CCW, practice. A lot. This is a serious commitment (one I haven't yet made) that you are practiced/experienced/ready to respond in a controlled, responsible way in case of emergency.

No cowboys need apply.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If anyone in here from tennesse has their CCw permit, I'd be more than interested in knowing what the TN course contains since I am going to be taking mine next month.

G

·
Well, for 12 hours...hmm.
Yes, it differs from state to state. Mostly, the safety, watch back drop, when to draw etc will be covered. I dont know how much range time you might get, probably more. For me, the best part was the actual ideal of self defense reinstated via having a card saying you can carry a weapon concealed. I can carry open legally, but why advertise? Now I have a CCW, I look for places that do NOT allow CCWs: I avoid them if at all possible.

G

·
Well it has been several years since I took mine. So keep that in mind. IIRC We had to take a 4 hour classroom . It was basic maintenance, the diff between a wheel and a semi. We were shown the different ways to carry. Then we spent 8 hours on the range an wasted 100 or 150 rounds.
Now I just looked up the new stuff for Tennessee here it is:
Tennessee law, based on regulations issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety, stipulates that the minimum amount of time required for a handgun permit course is eight (8) hours. Four (4) hours must be spent in the classroom and an additional four (4) hours on a gun range. Shooting of 48 rounds done from three, seven, and fifteen yards.

The majority of handgun schools complete the permit course in one day. A few schools conduct the course over two days. Check with the handgun school. Please make sure the Handgun Permit School is "certified" and their certification is active. There have been some schools that have been "de-certified" and the individuals who have taken the course, faced problems when they submitted their "certification of completion" issued by the school. Check with the Tennessee Department of Safety (615) 256-8590 to make sure the school is still active.

IMPORTANT: Do not attempt to purchase a "certificate of training" without the taking the required classroom or range elements of the course. Some instructors have sold these certificates. The state of Tennessee prosecuted these individuals and made the people who had obtained the "certificates of training" take the course again and in some cases people lost money, time, and came close to being faced with legal problems. The eight hours of training is not a lot of time. Don't take a chance of problems by trying to beat the required elements.

Exceptions:

Individuals in law enforcement, armed security personnel, and active or former military personnel who can produce military pistol training records similar to the requirements of the Tennessee Handgun Permit Course, are not required to complete the class room or range portion of the handgun training.

Most law enforcement officers fall under the "Law Enforcement Security Act" [H.R. 218]. This law signed by President Bush in July 2006, allows active officers who are employed by a state agency, and retired officers who have met the qualifications of this law, to carry a concealed handgun in all fifty states.

Active or former military personnel, within five years of their separation, who can show proof of military training that mirrors the required handgun training in Tennessee, will be exempt from the mandatory handgun permit training. In place of training records, a "memorandum of record" showing that handgun training of at least four hours range time and similar classroom instruction was completed.
A Tennessee Handgun Permit is valid for four (4) years.
When a Tennessee Handgun Permit is issued, a permit holder may carry any type of handgun they own or possess, and as many as they desire.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
South Carolina's: www.cwpermits.com

SC CWP Course Content -
What you will learn in our Concealed Weapons Permit Course ?

First, that carrying a concealed weapon is serious business and our course is designed to help you attain the knowledge, skills, and ability to safely and competently handle and use firearms.

You will be briefed of state laws and regulations relating to your application, issuance and carrying of a concealed weapon. You will be made aware of statutory and case law relating to the use of a weapon, self defense, defense of property and deadly force issues.

Emphasis will be placed on your responsibility as the result of firing your weapon, where the projectile (bullet) will ultimately stop and the circumstances leading up to the firing of the weapon.

Upon completion of the legal segment, you will know when and where you can legally carry a concealed weapon, and when it's best left secured in a safe location.

Every CWP Training Course is structured to give you more than your money's worth of training. There are no down times in our courses. You are either in the classroom for stimulating and thought provoking lectures or at the firing range for final briefings and live fire tactical training.

During this course, the following Fundamental Rules for Safe Gun Handling will become second nature.

ALWAYS keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction!

ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire!

ALWAYS keep the firearm unloaded until ready to use!

ALWAYS be certain of your target and your line of fire!

Our instructors are certified by the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and The National Rifle Association (NRA).

Using the method of Total Participation Involvement, our CWP courses provide hands on opportunities in the following areas:

Firearms Safety:
Safe handling and operation of your firearm

Storage and handling of your firearm

Firearm parts and operation of all handgun types and actions

Maintenance and cleaning of your firearm

Ammunition and it's function

Basic marksmanship skills such as

--- Sight alignment

--- Trigger control

--- Grip - 1 and 2 handed

--- Stance and follow through

--- Dry and Live firing

G

·
here in maine , the course i took was the nra basic pistol course. its the mandatory test you have to take before applying for your cwp. for me the class was only about 6.5 hrs. in my town its taught by a very nice police officer at his home. it was one on one , just me and him.

i watched 2 short videos on handgun saftey , then we went over different parts of the gun , wheelguns and auto's , let me play around with em a bit and learn to work all of them. then we went outside setup a target and i emptied a few magazines into the targets. then took a multiple choice 50 question quiz. passed with 100%.

now im just waiting on the insanley long 3 week wait on the background check.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Washington doesn't require a course.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I thankfully only had to watch a video and prove competence with a handgun, but in my new state it's 8 hours of "Don't be an idiot, don't shoot bystanders, etc.".

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what are the distances that you are tested on when at the range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thankfully only had to watch a video and prove competence with a handgun, but in my new state it's 8 hours of "Don't be an idiot, don't shoot bystanders, etc.".
Thats just how it was for me here in Michigan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts