What tumbler to use?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by mrgreen, Jan 10, 2015.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I would like a economical tumbler for basic use not one for doing it as a job;)

TIA

2. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Can somebody please explain powders?

Just would like to know the basics and what to use for say .45 ACP and basic .223 and stuff for types and kinds.

TIA

3. I used an old rock tumbler when I started.
    I then got a Frankford Arsenal. The motor burned up in less than a year.
    I now use a Hornady.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have been using a harbor freight dual drum tumbler. Does a great job. Catch them on sale and use a coupon and you can get the single drum model around $20 the dual drum model about $35.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. I use the Lyman tumbler from Walmart, 52 + tax and cam with media. The first one stopped working took it bad and the second has worked like a charm tumbling 6 to 8 hours each time.

6. jcwit

jcwit Member

Take a close look at the ones made by Berry Mfg. They are sold by Berry, Graff's #400, Cabela's #400. There are made right here in the U.S.A. by US workers and are close to the same price point to the tumbler sold by Harbor Freight.

If you purchase one from Cabela's it carries the lifetime satisfaction warranty.

Now make your choice.

7. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

This is good to know, thank you all:D

8. yetavon

yetavon Member

DANG.....was standing in Cabela's yesterday looking for one and ALMOST bought a Lyman...My money will be going to USA workers....
    Thanks for the heads up.

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I was going to mention HF

Maybe Gander Mountain carries a USA-made tumbler???

We have both stores in town.

10. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure their tumblers aren't made in America, they might be assembled in US (don't know), but I have heard the motors are China like most others... "assembled" in US isn't as good as "made" in US, BUT it is better then nothing... I just hate it when manufactures try to use those words wrong, it just feels like they are trying to pull something over on me...

So that being said (I'll fall on my sword) and say I have a HarborFreight version and it is quite and been trouble free so far... I use a Lizard Litter for media, a dab of any liquid car wax handy, then just use a 2 gallon feed bucket and a dollar store noodle strainer to separate after polishing.

11. jcwit

jcwit Member

They are absolutely made, that is MADE in the U.S.A. except for the motor, which no one here in the states make. Only available as an import. Berry among other things is a plastics molding company, so all the parts are molded by them, assembled by them and sold by them and distributed to other retailers by them.

There ammo boxes are also molded by them in house, right here in the U.S.A.

Again; make your choice.

The same can be said for all electronic devices 'Made n America' all have parts made from imported items.
    Same goes for most anything here in the U.S.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  12. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My brother does his .45, 9, .380 and .223 with this BTW he might be into Glocks..............[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA0dAStaLs[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwTogvfCdE[/ame]

13. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Just got a frankford arsenal haven't used it yet but got it for 59.00 with the sifter and media on eBay

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My aunt picked up one of these for almost free at a garage sale. Gave it to me when I asked. :)

It must be 20 years old and still works fine. Almost no wear, though I did have to re-tread the turn-wheel.

[​IMG]

They're $45 new.

I'm not really ready to reload yet, I'm just decapping and tumbling a bunch of range pickup 5.56/.223 that I have. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. undeRGRound

INDY

I made about $3k in about 10 days on a shutdown @ Berry Plastics,
    I could see buying one of their tumblers :D

16. Asher1

Asher1 Member

17. undeRGRound

INDY