What was your first gun you ever purchased?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by john39, Nov 19, 2020.

1. john39

john39 Member

Mine was a single shot shotgun (I can’t even remember the brand) but I remember it was called the silver hunter. Super cheap is the only reason I bought it, didn’t have any money then I just wanted to buy a gun when I turned 18, I believe it was $129.99 at the bargain barn in Jasper. That thing would just about kill you every time you pulled the trigger. I tried finding them online and I can’t find them, I remember it was made in Turkey though. What was all y’all’s first purchases?

danielle gentner and undeRGRound like this.
  2. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

glenfield model 60

3. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

4. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

1st one I ever bought with my own $$$ was my Ruger Mk1 in 1976. Before that I was given a Noble single shot 22 rifle for Christmas when I was 13 (1964).

5. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

That's easy Mossberg 500, got it when I was 20 years old. I still have it. A little worn here and there but I've had the shotgun longer than my kids!!!

danielle gentner and john39 like this.
  6. Mine was a BP shotgun ("Escopeta") made from scrap metal and gas pipe; I bought it in the Andes in 1968.
    upload_2020-11-19_20-44-42.png

7. Northslope

Northslope Member

first handgun was a ruger p85 around 1987 and first rifle was a beautiful wal mart exclusive stainless 10/22 with a green laminated stock . i would give a NUT to have another like that. at the time i already had a winchester 190 and a winchester 670 monkey ward model 30/06. it was a sweet shooting plain stock winchester 70 with a dull finish. both of them were gifts from granpa

8. First gun I ever purchased on my own was a Llama 9mm 1911. Don't know what I was thinkin' but I was 20. A real hunk o' junk jam-o-matic. But it was cheap (for a reason.) Years later sold it on consignment. Think I got $100.

9. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

My first was a Ruger 10/22 which I still have. The second was a Remington 870 Express in 12 gauge....
    I sold that unfortunately.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Ruger 10/22 was the 1st gun I purchased. Owned a lot before that.

11. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

First gun I ever bought for myself was a Springfield Armory Xdm 45 full size. Wasn't that long ago, 2013 or 14. Before that I only had shotguns that were gifted to me.

12. 1st firearm I owned and bought it for my self...Model 514 Remmie single-shot...about 1956 for the princely sum of $5.00 from a guy inna filling-station.
    Still own the thing too...Wore out the bolt and replaced it, changed the bolt-handle at the same time......prolly at least a jillion rounds downe the tube...DarlinDotter will get it when I die....

REDD

13. hans471

hans471 Member

First I remember was a (well used) WW2 surplus Enfield #5 Mk1 .303 carbine. (they were $19 at the time...long ago!). Surplus WW2 ammo was dirt cheap back then. Kicked like a mule on speed.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    A 10/22, and a .22 pistol, maybe a Jennings, or Raven...both got sold when I went into the Army.
    Next go round, the first pistol was an East German Makarov, and another 10/22.

15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Oh let's see. First shotgun was on old 12ga Ithaca Deerslayer.

First handgun was a DE .50 from the PX.

I honestly don't remember what my first rifle was.

16. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The first handgun I purchased was an Imperial snub nosed, 7-shot .22 revolver with wood grips.
    Person to person, $25.

I kept it for more than a decade.
    The timing went out on it, the cylinder would wobble from side to side just a wee bit, shaving a thin veneer of lead from the bullet each time I fired it.

My deputy sheriff friend in NJ and I heated it up with a torch and hammered it flat.

Wish I had a replacement for it now.

eldar

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

An Italian made SAA clone in .357 Mag.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    The first gun that I bought with my own money was a Smith&Wesson 4046. Double action only 40s&w. Police trade in that I got from a pawnshop. I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from inside with it. I thought that I was a horrible shot till some of my friends with guns tried shooting it. Nobody could hit with it. We ended up sandbagging it and discovered that the gun shot a shotgun pattern. I ended up trading it in at a gun store on a S&W model 66 .357 magnum.

19. If it was a .22 it had to be Jennings,. Ravens were .25ACP.

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I had the Raven .25.

danielle gentner and Rerun like this.