Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I saw some picture on the Hi Point main website.
And cayote and deer was taken with 995 and 9mm pistol.

Would these carbines take down something like a wild boar? :devilsidesmile:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I guess like anything else, that would depend on where you place your shot. I would assume at close range, a headshot would be sufficient. But personally I'd feel more comfortable with a larger caliber when confronting a wild boar. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This post reminded me of a great line I heard in a semi-well-known TV show about rifles.

They were discussing the great Enfield SMLE and they said something like, "It was used to take everything from elephants and wild boar, to German Colonel..."

Accurate and funny. Doesn't answer your question, but funny.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I would use a larger caliber when hunting any kind of dangerous game.
Deer & Coyotes tend to flee if only injured. Things like wild Boar, Bears and such will keep coming if you only wound them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Are you wondering about wild boar's or good old javelina's? Cause there can be huge differences in size. They both are aggressive, but boars can get huge, and I know javelina travel in packs. Like others have said here, it all depends on shot placement.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah, a true boar I won't go after with anything short of a .30-06 or a shotty w/ slugs. I have seen them shake off a 30-30 like it was nothing... my brother lost a good dog to a lung-shot tusker.

I am planning on taking my 995 to Texas after some javelina, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took a nice doe this season with my 4095 using 180 gr Hornady hollow points. 30 yard shot through the lungs and she didn't go more than 50 yards. I'd never shoot a boar with it though. Those things are a lot tougher than a deer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
are you planning on hunting boar with or without hunting dogs? if with, then a carbine might do the trick with the right load. in fact, the rapid fire, light weight and ease of use might help. but without, i'd be hesitant. . . at least not without a trusty, hard-packing revolver!

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would work, but I wouldn't feel safe. Boars are aggressive and will do their level best to kill you if you don't DRT them, or at least hit them with something hard enough to stop them. I've always thought heavy hitting brush rounds like 444 Marlin and 45-70 were ideal boar calibers, do give you an idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What game CAN be taken with a 995 or 4095 is a deceptive question. You CAN kill a polar bear with a 995, but it doesn't mean you ought to. Pistol rounds are first and foremost people killin' rounds, and people tend to be much easier to kill than animals even half as big as us.

Unless you're varminting, in which case I advocate .243 and 25.06 over the much more popular .223, I would suggest using nothing less than a 30 calibre centerfire rifle cartridge, 7.62x39 or 30x30 at the VERY least, but preferably something more. Notable exceptions go out to .270 and a few others. But .308 will kill anything. Poachers in Africa regularly take every type of big game with FALs, without much trouble, including big cats, elephants, hippos and cape buffalo. Anything .308 will kill, 30.06 will kill twice as dead.

Anything more is probably unnecessary.

I wouldn't hunt anything with my 995 except the "bump in the night" that stirs me out of bed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What game CAN be taken with a 995 or 4095 is a deceptive question. You CAN kill a polar bear with a 995, but it doesn't mean you ought to. Pistol rounds are first and foremost people killin' rounds, and people tend to be much easier to kill than animals even half as big as us.

Unless you're varminting, in which case I advocate .243 and 25.06 over the much more popular .223, I would suggest using nothing less than a 30 calibre centerfire rifle cartridge, 7.62x39 or 30x30 at the VERY least, but preferably something more. Notable exceptions go out to .270 and a few others. But .308 will kill anything. Poachers in Africa regularly take every type of big game with FALs, without much trouble, including big cats, elephants, hippos and cape buffalo. Anything .308 will kill, 30.06 will kill twice as dead.

Anything more is probably unnecessary.

I wouldn't hunt anything with my 995 except the "bump in the night" that stirs me out of bed.
I would add 7mm Remington Magnum for a boar caliber. It's usually fired from a bolt gun, so you better not miss, but 7 magnum will kill anything in North America deader than hell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts