What Would You Do With This Rare Old .45?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by geon, Feb 13, 2008.

1. geon

geon Member

What Would You Do With This Rare Old .45?

Would you keep it as-is and mount it in a display?

Bring it as close as possible to factory new and use it as an every day piece?

Or would you do something in between like bring it to full working condition but leave the exterior as-is?

I looked at this listing and I couldn't figure out what I would do with this if I bought it.

(Click on image to view full size.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(More pics and price available at link.)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91716839

2. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

assuming it's not already in functioning condition i'd repair it then shoot it some, i would'nt bother refinishing it.

3. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

I would place it in a safe and save it for my retirement.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

im with jarhead. give it another 20-30 years and it will be worth 5x its current value in its original condition. DO NOT refinish it or you will destroy its value.

SW

5. As much as I love a historic and/or beutiful firearm, I can't have a weapon that I can never shoot--

I wouldn't shoot it a lot, but if it is safe to shoot, I would run a mag or two through it-- clean it, then put it away for a rainy day.

Enjoy!

6. DO NOT REFINISH THAT GUN EVER!!!!!!!

Its like when people have an old antique lamp. If you refinish it, clean off the patina and make it all shiny looking, you destroy the historical originality of it and it can easily lose about 1/2 or more of its value.

I would shoot it at least once myself after making sure its a solid gun (no super hot reloads either) and then put away my retirement gun.

7. I would take that piece and keep it AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The more you do to that gun the less value it will retain. Old guns deserve to be kept old, the historical value of such a gun is worth more than any modern gun. If you want a shooter do not buy a historical firearm.

8. I would look at that more of a collectable than a pistol.

You would not use your original Babe Ruth baseball card to write down some chicks number on would you?

9. i would choose "full working condition but leave the exterior as-is", i always believe a firearm is only what it is when they fire. the look is great, but i will never compromise its normal function for the look. that being say i will never hang a gun on the wall to look "pretty".

10. I would also do just enough to make sure it's shootable and clean it/remove any rust but would leave it pretty much as is.

I wouldn't want to destroy the history and charachter of the gun by re-finishing it though I would shoot it on rare occasion.

11. Keep as is and remember/admire what it was and who it served and why.

12. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

WOW! First off.., DO NOT RESTORE THAT WEAPON IN ANY WAY!!!!!!!! I myself collect antiques, and the biggest mistake you can make with this very fine and rare firearm is to restore it. It needs to be left in "unmolested condition". Not only is this weapon rare, but this model has a very low number out of 15,000. It being one of the first 200 made does place it within the first or possibly second month (at the latest) of production. That also will make the weapon more valuable. This model will only increase in value as well, but it MUST remain in this condition. If you purchase this weapon, it either needs to go in a safe or display case. I'd say put it in a display case though. It's one to show off.

So many people make the mistake of seeing something old, and thinking "boy I should restore this". So often the value of an item is lost because of this (it of course depends on the item as well), and a rare firearm needs to be unmolested.

A great example. Years back when I lived up north I remember my uncle telling me of a business associate of his getting his hands on a rare 16th century pistol (yeah I said 16th century). The bloody thing was in exceptional condition, but what does this numbskull do.?.? He feels the need to clean it up and BAM! Major drop in value after that. The old saying my friend is quite simple. "Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone".

Squeak

13. Depends on the chick...

Rosie O'Donnel-- Nope...

Shania Twain--- Yep...

:D

14. A little off topic but a good example. I was watching the antique road show and this guy brought in a drawer that had been in his family since the 1700's.

The appraiser looked at it and told the guy about it, pointed out that someone had used a power tool to add some fancy designs to it and put more fancy looking legs on it,

He told the guy if they had left it alone it would be worth $20,000 bucks yes that is what he said

He said since someone had messed with it, he put the price range in the $2,000 range.

One hell of a drop in price.

15. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I love the Antique Road Show :) I watch it all the time! I've seen so many episodes that deal with items that were either restored or altered and the value dropped drastically.

I've even seen episodes of the Road Show where an item item dated back to the 1600's and the alterations that dropped the value were done in the late 1700's. You have to be very cautious with antiques. Some items can be restored without losing any real value, and can actually raise the value of the item.

Before attempting to restore any old item, ALWAYS do research on that item first. See what the current value is on the item you have in its present state. There's a wealth of info on the web regarding antiques of all typs.

A good example. I'm restoring an old Firestone 500 bicycle that was made in 1959. It it's current state (which is restorable) it's worth about $300, but restored it will be worth several hundred more. Now here's the catch. Restoration costs will exceed the value once restored. So as you can see restorations can go any which way, but always do research on the item. I watched an episode once where the woman had a very rare and very early pocket watch. She had no idea, and was about to make some changes (add a few things), and gift it to a relative. Good thing she didn't. It tuned out that watch was so rare is was worth $1,000,000 :)

16. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

ya some things are better left as is while others increase in value cleaned up..

depends.. but thats not why i would leave the gun as is.. it's because

1. it does'nt look that bad
    2. if it's been a well fired gun then the warn finish is a testament to it's service.

if you want something purdy just go by a new 1911 take your pick.

now if you really wanted to get it refinish that would be ok.. but a warn finish does'nt bother me..

there is a difference between warn and abused, thats the fine line.

ya i'd fire it also not a lot and probably spend a lot of time in the safe (if i had one lol) but i'd still fire it from time to time.

17. Ari

Ari Guest

HOLY CRAP! U S Military 45 Remington UMC 1918 No 158! Do you really not know the answer to this LOL... Do not touch it! Keep it from sun light and do not let it rust. Never ever shoot it! This is a VET not of WWII but of the Great War. Keep it maintained so it does not get any worse. Then have a son teach him right from wrong so you have someone to pass it down it. :wink:

18. You want to see a bunch of paranoid people and crooks, check out your average P08 luger forum.

Some of those pistols are very collectible and people change markings and the such all of the time, or refinish the pistol thinking it will up its value.

It can be a real hoot reading some of the posts

19. Space

Space Member

NH
    Sandblast and DuraCote and it would be as nice as a $300 RIA .....
    ..... for $2000. Doesn't make much sense does it?

It is no longer a gun, it's a piece of history / art and should be treated as such.

Make it go bang...once, just so you can say you did, then put it away.

20. I go with leaving it just as it is...and study and learn the history behind it...that gun is more valuable for what you can learn about it and from it than it evr will be in Ben Franklins.