Whatcha doing today?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by adam01364, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

So my neighbor asked if I could fix his brakes today. Wanted to me get his rotors turned to save money... "Turn what," I said.

20201001_124416.jpg 20201001_135332.jpg 20201001_140221.jpg 20201001_135528.jpg

2. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I not sure but I don't think the LED fixture has a ballast. I'm gonna look for the paperwork today.

3. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

My wife bought a NEW 2013 Hyundai Accent in July of 2013. It still has rhe original battery. I have never had one last 7 years til now.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    1024Megabytes likes this.
  4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The GC'd battery is 4. Under the back seat. No idea on the WTL battery age. Battery cables. Need to get a portable jumper doodad

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I read it quickly and thought you had "a 4-bulb fluorescent fixture".

6. Rachgier

I have the same issue with my kitchen light fixture since I switched to LED, and I have to replace one of the rocker switches. My light is wired with a 3-way switch and the one by the back door is bad.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

Fuggitaboutit you're moving to Tejas!!

8. Rachgier

I gave the landlord my word that all he'll have to deal with is the bathroom and the kitchen.

Rerun likes this.
  9. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

This is also on a 3-way, but I don't think it's the switches.

Couldn't find the paperwork, think it was only installation guide anyway, no details about the unit itself.

I'm thinking something inside is heating up, except it doesn't go out on it's own, only after I turn it off does it not come back on. Maybe I should put it on a timer not to exceed X number of minutes.

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Because I am CHEAP, this is a shed, not a house.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Is it on a dimmer? Some LED's do not work with them.

ajole and Visper like this.
  12. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

You're sounding Texan already.

eldar

1024Megabytes likes this.
  13. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

No dimmer, it's strange for sure.

14. Rachgier

I was raised that your word is all you have in this world.

Rerun and FlashBang like this.
  15. Rachgier

That's odd. Normally I start with the bulbs, switches, then check the fixture, wiring, and finally circuit breaker. If none of that is bad. Like right now I know the switch is bad, but I had planned on replacing the fixture because I hate the one that's up there

16. Why do people automatically assume that having years, even decades of experience equals being educated and skilled?

I’ve lost count of the number of those people who are stupid in their field and somehow manage to get by.

Not just in IT, but also auto and building construction. Which I have experience in myself, so take that as you will.

17. Rachgier

Because I was a contractor that owned my own construction companies for 15 years with over 20 years of experience. I was also a state certified code enforcement and building inspector for 6 years as well as a state certified fire investigator for 4 years with the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control division of Homeland Security.

I've seen "cheap" kill a bunch of people.

Rerun, SWAGA and Dubar like this.
  18. Rachgier

Got myself banned from my local LGS' FB page before I finished my first cup of coffee! They posted a customer's pistol build, bragging about "how sweet" it looked, so I pointed out he was running a PSA lower, Anderson upper, $20 Monstrum hand guard, a knock off Wish brace, and a $500 9" under barrel Havoc launcher from Spike's.

Then I asked if leaving a loaded mag in with the safety selector on fire was "sweet" SOP.

They were not amused.

Rerun and ajole like this.
  19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Check voltage at the fixture with a regular light bulb then the LED. If the voltage goes way up(over 160 volts) with the LED that may be the issue, to high of voltage and you dry out the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply for the LEDs. You may have a transformer issue in the power coming to the house and have voltage on the neutral... a lot of modern electronics don't care what the voltage is, as long as it is between 70 and 280 volts and 40-80 hertz they will run just fine(although the high end voltage wise stresses the power supply capacitors).

Or you are just having a run of bad luck and got a lot of bad bulbs. Are they all from the same package?

Actually many do if the LEDs are a permanent part of the fixture. Well a power supply but many call it a ballast.

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

Get a $5 multimeter and check your voltages. Bil used to live near a substation. Wild fluctuations. I forget wgat he recorded it with.