Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
6661 - 6680 of 6680 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
That’s funny. You literally cannot dig a 5 foot deep hole here by hand. Well, maybe you could, but it would take most of a day or two, using picks and breaker bars, and you’d end up with a small pile of dirt, a large pile of gravel, and a huge pile of rocks.
Here I have a foot of turf, 2-3 feet of black dirt then a nasty layer of hard pan clay to break up with a bar. Once past the clay it is gravel for hundreds of feet.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,514 Posts
Are you okay?

eldar
As yet to be finally determined. PET scan lit up on it and showed high metabolic activity and SUV. They are scheduling a biopsy on it, but due to history of prostate cancer, the location, size and presentation they have pretty much ruled out infection or fungal. Only a biopsy will tell and give a finally determination. I'm sure everything will turn out okay. Old guys like me and Rach are tough to knock down without one hell of a fight. ;)

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
So today I started a project... I'll give you a before picture and a single in progress pic, but the finished project pics will likely be tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I've been playing in the flower (well, weed) beds. Ivy had taken over (from my earlier non-activity) and I decided it was time to start pulling. So far I have about 1/2 of the length of the yard done, just hope I haven't killed the azaleas. I had to cut them back to get to all the junk I wanted pulled out. Killed a baby bird in the process, didn't see the nest when I was using my hedge clippers 😱

Just how far can I go with cutting back the azaleas without killing them this time of year? If Pistolkitty was still around she'd tell me 😺

Got my A1c down to 5.9!!! Shoulder replacement surgery scheduled for August 18. No more shooting for a while I suppose...no more anything for a while most likely.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
Picking a few cukes to eat fresh, this is a pickling variety so they max out at 6" long. This skinned and very tasty with just S&P or dipped in ranch.

Break form the heat with north winds, downside is they are bringing all the Canadian forest fire smoke with them so hard to breathe outside, even smells smokey in the house! Going to have to limit what I do outside today, didn't feel like mowing anyway LOL 1/2 mile visibility, I thought it was cloudy out when I woke up but just the smoke is that heavy.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
I made a top for the dog kennel out of scrap trim and left over laminate to serve that purpose.

Here's another in progress picture.
View attachment 73435
Bases for a pool table with ball return? Not really wide enough, though. I’m seeing that open bit on the left one and it’s baffling me.
Maybe hidden storage under a table?

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Bases for a pool table with ball return? Not really wide enough, though. I’m seeing that open bit on the left one and it’s baffling me.
Maybe hidden storage under a table?
Very close... so close I'm just going to give it up now and do final pics when I'm done.

I was given a free 74" × 42" dining room table with 18" leaf. Tables are cool, but we tall people aren't exactly built for table height tables. So I took apart the table, scuffed and painted the bases black lacquer, used a 2x8 to fashion a riser to bring the finished height up to 36 ¾", used the table saw to cut the decorative edge of the table, and cut a 61" × 24" bar top with a 13" × 15" 'L' that ties in to an 18" × 14" 4 shelf base cabinet. It will have 20" of usable bar flat top covered in a vinyl self-stick travertine tile , pine 2 ¼" streamline baseboard used for an arm rest on the perimeter, and wrapped in pine 1x4 to finish the cut edges from sizing the table top how I wanted.

The pine trim will be stained a deep gray to bring out the grain and match the gray/black/brown theme of the living room and hit with a high gloss poly to protect it.

The pockets you see on the bases are in fact hidden under shelving for whomever is behind the bar. I did briefly entertain the idea of sawed of double barrel in one and a pistol in the other... but my imagination gets a little hyper when I don't rein it in...

OH, hidden feature! I relocated all the tracking then cut down the leaf and will also tile it and wrap it in trim so that the bar can still be expanded to a full 80 ½" for company or game night.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Very nice! Some day when I grow up, I hope I can make wood that I cut line up all smooth and nice like that!

Reactions: Rachgier

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Very nice! Some day when I grow up, I hope I can make wood that I cut line up all smooth and nice like that!
Even the pros cut long and sand to fit. They also cut their corners a half degree out, that way the points line up and the tiny crack is easier to fill than an open joint.

So I revised my riser layout on the base and got them painted. Mounted the 2" L brackets and got the top locked in on the bases. Not sure what to do about bar stools though. The 24" seems high enough but I'm going to throw the 29" legs on it just to see. Final height on the bar top is 37 ⅛". I got lazy and slept in so I didn't get to cutting and staining the trim today. Oh well. There's always tomorrow...

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
Rain washing some of the smoke down, winds are shifting too so maybe it will move on. My sinuses would appreciate it!

Working on a 902mhz amplifier today since it is raining, finish stripping out all the stuff I won't use(this used to be a cell site amplifier, has tons of control stuff I won't use and all the associated wires. Will end up removing 4-5 pounds of weight, always a good thing for my back!

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
Unique use of leftover materials!

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Tried the 29" height barstool and didn't like it. I was leaning over way too far. 24" works best for me. Shorter people might need 29's...

·
Premium Member
21,296 Posts
Heading back to the walk in clinic at my doctor office. I went and had the drive up covid test last Tuesday. Also checked for strep. They sent me inside and I got a antibiotic shot in the ass. Got a scrip for amoxicillin. I got a little better. My voice is messed up from the phlem. This has been running too long. My regular doctor is M-F. Hopefully whoever is working the walk ins isn't the doctor I saw on Tuesday. I really don't like him. I think he's close to worthless. He told me this might be a bacterial infection. I was hoping for a Zpak to clean this shit up.

6661 - 6680 of 6680 Posts