Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
8021 - 8040 of 8064 Posts

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,762 Posts
Fuckin PEX and sharkbites have turned DIY'ers in to master plumbers.
And its not like it was very difficult to learn before.

· Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Hey folks!!! Haven't posted here in some time so I figured why not today.
Nothing much going on, I'm going to the range today with my Bersa Thunder 380 and a 22 of some brand.

Life's been unkind to me since I posted last. Broke my left foot playing golf, back around the end of June! Most of the time after hitting out of a bunker you have sand sticking to your shoes, so I took my wedge and whacked the side of my shoe to dislodge it...only I hit the side of my foot and not the shoe. It hurt but not that much but as the days/weeks passed the pain wouldn't go away. Finally got to the point at the end of July that I took a trip to the ER. They said I had a chipped metatarsal and to see my orthopedic doctor. ER gave me a shoe (slab of rubber) to wear. I couldn't see the ortho doc until almost the end of August and he sez I broke the bone, so he puts me in a boot. I wore the boot until the middle of October and ended up with an orthotic insert in my shoe. It's fine now but that's the last time I attempt to knock sand of my shoes.

Then I had to get some Squamous Cell Carcinoma removed off the right side of my face near my ear, now I have a spot on the left side but not as close to my ear, going this Friday to have that looked at (biopsy) but I know it needs to be removed, should take about 3 more weeks to get to the surgeon.

Got rear ended Nov 30. Sitting at a stoplight when the left turn light comes on. The car in the turn lane started to move, as did the car in the right lane but they stopped. The guy behind me (in a big Chevy truck talking on his cell phone) saw movement so he hit the gas pedal. I noticed him moving in my mirror and braced for impact, WAM!!! Punched a hole in my bumper cover with the tow thingie sticking out of his bumper and put a nice dent in the rear hatch of my Mini, about $1800 damage. The guy gets out (in the rain) and sez "Oh man, I was talking on my cellphone and didn't notice plus he was tired having just gotten off a 12hr shift!!! Things you DON'T want to tell the guy you just ran into.

Called the cops and he gave him a ticket for following too close, his truck didn't have a scratch on it.

I was going to get it fixed but at 15yrs old I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle. I pulled out the piece of bumper cover so it doesn't look so bad and took a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove the paint he left behind, so the bumper cover looks ok. The rear hatch dent is another matter. The frame is bent, I may be able to pull most of the dent out but that bent frame is going to take more effort. Everything works (had to realign the hatch release) so I'm not too concerned. At 15yrs old the car is starting to show it's age, too many noises, the plastic is drying out, but it still runs great. I'm waiting to see if the prices of new cars comes down and what the interest rates are doing before I make a move. I like my Mini but a friend of mine has a Subaru which is really nice so I may switch brands.

· Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Good to hear from you Dooby!! Sorry to hear of your misfortune though.
Thanks PK!!! The other day a friend of mine said "At least we've grown old enough and seen/been through enough to turn our bitching and griping into stories for the grandchildren, some people die young and never get the chance to tell their stories!"

If I had gone to the doctor right after I injured my foot everything would have been OK, but to wait almost 3 months while still walking several miles every other day, didn't help any.

I hope you and the hubby are still on your honeymoon!!!

· Premium Member
8,925 Posts
Thanks PK!!! The other day a friend of mine said "At least we've grown old enough and seen/been through enough to turn our bitching and griping into stories for the grandchildren, some people die young and never get the chance to tell their stories!"

If I had gone to the doctor right after I injured my foot everything would have been OK, but to wait almost 3 months while still walking several miles every other day, didn't help any.

I hope you and the hubby are still on your honeymoon!!!
I have broken the metatarsal on th eoutside of my right foot 5 times... it is just a mass of scar tissue now. Last time I broke it I heard it snap, walked into the docs office, he does an xray and panics because of the calcium build up and unset bone fragments floating around... he hands me a boot that I toss in the back of the truck and ignore... it healed in 3 weeks like normal. Well heal isn't exactly right. More calcuim scar tissue built up around it. That injury pushes my foot inwards so I wear that shoe out on the inside edge. Not much flex left there at this point.

· Premium Member
8,925 Posts
PVC ain't the end all be all. It goes bad too.

I was set on doing PEX in the slab for radiant heat. After talking to a plumber friend I've nixed that idea.
It is going on 35 years old... PVC goes bad if exposed to UV, then it pinholes bad. Friend got a deal on some that was sun faded. Told him to skip it, you will be fighting leaks. He didn't listen... now it has more couplers in it and patch pieces than original pipe.

If I replumb it will be pex. It has the advantage of being able to slightly freeze and not burst.

· Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I have broken the metatarsal on th eoutside of my right foot 5 times... it is just a mass of scar tissue now. Last time I broke it I heard it snap, walked into the docs office, he does an xray and panics because of the calcium build up and unset bone fragments floating around... he hands me a boot that I toss in the back of the truck and ignore... it healed in 3 weeks like normal. Well heal isn't exactly right. More calcuim scar tissue built up around it. That injury pushes my foot inwards so I wear that shoe out on the inside edge. Not much flex left there at this point.
OUCH!!! Only recently did my foot stop burning, felt like a hot nail in the side of my foot. The shoe the ER gave me was worthless, the boot the ortho doc gave me did some good and the orthotic insert for my walking shoe works well, but not if I put it in my regular every day shoe.

· Premium Member
22,731 Posts
It is going on 35 years old... PVC goes bad if exposed to UV, then it pinholes bad. Friend got a deal on some that was sun faded. Told him to skip it, you will be fighting leaks. He didn't listen... now it has more couplers in it and patch pieces than original pipe.

If I replumb it will be pex. It has the advantage of being able to slightly freeze and not burst.
PEX pinholes when exposed a very short time to the UV rays.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,762 Posts
PEX is 30 days of direct exposure, PVC is YEARS.
Depends on the type of PEX.
Pex A is 6months, pex B is 30 days and the most common used by homeowners. Pex C I don't remember

· Premium Member
Everything
3,449 Posts
Pex A is 6months, pex B is 30 days and the most common used by homeowners. Pex C I don't remember
I wonder what kind is in our campers? I'll have to look that up. Whatever it is, none of it has burst in the camper that's been sitting up there about 6 years. He winterized it, but not like people do, because we still use it on a limited basis in the winter. But though he's had other things burst or crack over the years in the winter, the pex never has.

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
I believe it was also 30 days, as that is the industry minimum standard. Now mind you this UV rating is determined by leaving pipe outside in Death Valley for absolute worst case scenario. You have to read the 4-digit code from the manufacturer to know for sure.

The first digit is the chlorine rating with 5 being the highest.

2nd is the UV rating of 1 (one month), 2 (3 months), or 3 (6 months).

The last two will always be '06' to indicate a rating of 160 psi.

Code usually requires standard residential pex installs are done with PEX1106 as a minimum, but California requires 5306.

PEX 5306 is the highest rating you can get on the market. It's designed for continuous circulation of hot water.

Reactions: Pistolkitty

· Premium Member
8,925 Posts
I believe it was also 30 days, as that is the industry minimum standard. Now mind you this UV rating is determined by leaving pipe outside in Death Valley for absolute worst case scenario. You have to read the 4-digit code from the manufacturer to know for sure.

The first digit is the chlorine rating with 5 being the highest.

2nd is the UV rating of 1 (one month), 2 (3 months), or 3 (6 months).

The last two will always be '06' to indicate a rating of 160 psi.

Code usually requires standard residential pex installs are done with PEX1106 as a minimum, but California requires 5306.

PEX 5306 is the highest rating you can get on the market. It's designed for continuous circulation of hot water.
Learned something new! Filing this for when I redo plumbing...

Reactions: RACHGIER

· Premium Member
22,731 Posts
Ethylene glycol ratings?

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
Ethylene glycol ratings?
Pex is considered fully resistant to most chemicals and recommended for the glycol used in hydronic heating systems, however most code says you can't run ethylene due to its toxicity and require the use of non-toxic propylene glycol with a back flow preventer and a reduction to 80% of the rated pressure at 160°. Additionally, anti-freeze reduces the rate of heat transfer so you'll need to increase the flow rate of hot water to achieve the same results. Depending on where you live you may have anywhere from a 20-50% mix of glycol to water.

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
Learned something new! Filing this for when I redo plumbing...
And since I forgot to include it in that post: PEX-A, B, and C are how it's manufactured, not a quality grade.

Pex-C was the subject of a major class action lawsuit that proved it fails prematurely due to early oxidation.

@TNTRAILERTRASH PEX-AL-PEX is a layer of aluminum tubing, as an oxygen barrier, sandwiched between two layers of PEX-A for underfloor heat, radiator, and gas pipe systems.

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
Plumbing. Rotten plumbing. Replaced galvanized that rotted at the joints with PVC and a Studor Vent instead of chasing it up through the roof.

$140 to get the sewer snaked, $60 to fix the vent. Landlord approves.

Gas Plumbing Plumbing fitting Concrete Auto part

Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Engineering

Reactions: moona11
8021 - 8040 of 8064 Posts