Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just curious because I would like one in .308, 30-06, or 7mm Rem. Mag. Because 8mm Mauser ain't at Wal Mart. Is the Spanish M1916 Mauser in .308 decent?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
savage entry models can be had for 300$ or less. thats about the bottom of tha barrel cost wise without sacrificing quality. you can find plenty of hihger end iron sighted models on teh used market for that price as well. if cost is the sole factor a remy 710 is under 200$ but has longevity issues. if you will accept a single shot, NEF handi rifles can be had in many calibers for under 150$.

SW

·
Registered
92 Posts
NEF can be had in any of those calibers except 7mm mag. savage/stevens can be had for around $300. mossberg ATR can be gotten at walmart for $250 in 30-06 and other calibers. other side is are you wanting an 8mm and if so which one cause i see 8mm muasers for less than $200 alot of times but they aren't the k98's so if you really want the 8mm i would do some searching around online if it is ammo you can find that online to and order it in bulk and if you reload make sure to get 8mm brass that can be reloaded. I myself have a C&R and can get the VZ 24 for $140 but if you don't have C&R it will have to be sent to FFL can get a Yugo 24/47 for $130 and if you can find one a yugo M48 is less than $200 and if you like mil surplus there are sites like Aimsurplus and many others out there that would be more than happy to take your money and sell you a rifle and ammo. i have been thinking about a VZ 24 i am told they are great rifles and the action is great for building custom guns if you like. I also saw a 7mm mauser and a 7x57 mauser if you would like more info let me know i can get you the companies selling these and there sites or phone numbers to call.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
.. Is the Spanish M1916 Mauser in .308 decent?
Keep in mind that these are NOT the '98 action Mausers (I think they're 1893 or 1895), so they cock on closing and are not as strong. I'd have no trouble shooting 7.62 NATO ammo, but not .308 commercial loads because the sporting ammo is loaded to much higher pressure.

In fact, I'm determined to either find a nice 7.62 Enfield (haven't seen one yet), 98 Mauser (hard to find in good condition at a decent price), or order one of these 1916s in 7.62 from SamcoGlobal. If you order one please tell us about it.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to make a correction the M1916 is in 7.62 NATO not the .308 even though it's about the same right?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would be the better choice a Mosin 91/30 with hexagonal receiver or a Mauser? The Mosin is 80 bucks by the way and surplus ammo is like 4 bucks for 20 rounds or $75 for 300. Hmmm maybe I've answered my own question ^-^. I found it at aimsurplus.com they look pretty good if I say so myself.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. Only issue now is that the site only allows people with an FFL to purchase from that site. Any help would be great so I could get a rifle and a ton of ammo! Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Look for a used Savage in .30-06. Plentyful and easy to find ammo, easy to reload for, and can take anything from prairie dogs to bears with the right ammo.

Did I mention that you can walk into any back country, hole-in-the-ground, mom-and-pop general store and get more ammo if you need it? It's still America's #1 rifle round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.