Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oven is too small to fit the stock in it to leech out all the cosmoline. Primal and I tried a heat gun but that option would take FOREVER :mad:. So what else is there to try? Thanks.

EDIT:

Would it be alright if I rapped the stock in aluminum foil and well uh... basically grilled it after the fire went down and it had just the hot coals?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have heard of people putting the stock into a metal garbage can with a couple of 100 watt bulbs to leach cosmo out.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Here in the south west we can place it in a back garbage bag , place the bag into the truck of your car and let the sun do it's magic. Works especially well in the summer when it's 115 deg. out side

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
My oven is too small to fit the stock in it to leech out all the cosmoline. Primal and I tried a heat gun but that option would take FOREVER :mad:. So what else is there to try? Thanks.

EDIT:

Would it be alright if I rapped the stock in aluminum foil and well uh... basically grilled it after the fire went down and it had just the hot coals?
Don't do that

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

EDIT:

Don't do that
LMAO @ Panoz... You'd thing that you wouldn't even have to say it, but I'm glad you did. :) LOL
Let the sun do it's magic... a few hours in direct sunlight, or inside near a oil heater, with you wiping the sweat off of it while sipping a ice cold lemonade is a good way to get that blessed cosmo out of the stock.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah threw that out there about putting it on a grill then realized it probably ain't a good idea at the time figured it wasn't really that different from putting it in an oven if you think about it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Wrap stock in thin towel.
Wrap electric heating pad around towel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
lol... now, if you had a K98 and were going for the "Dresden" look, you might be on to something :D

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool thanks. Now if I do this will i have to check on it and wipe it down occasionally, or just let the heat do its thing? I'm trying the oven, here's the thing, the stock hangs out over a foot so I'll have to turn it around after a bit.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
What were the results DH?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
LOL... I just got this image in my mind of taking a Mosin to Sears and walking around sticking it into various ovens, then looking at the sales rep saying "I'll take this one."

:eek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Anything worth doing takes a long time. I use a heatgun on the low setting and a ton of papertowels. Heat and wipe, heat and wipe. Yeah it takes time, but its so worth being able to learn every nuance, nook, cranny, stamp, dent, ding, splinter, etc. Consider it a good bonding time for you and your rifle, and show it some love.

·
Registered
586 Posts
can anyone enlighten me as to why you do this to mosin stocks?

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It got a lot of the cosmoline out, I'm not sure if that was all of it, but after being in there for about an hour for each half, not much more would come out. It still looks pretty dark though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If the M/N is shellac'ed then there shouldn't be any cosmo in the wood, at least not much.

As far as getting ALL the cosmo out? Have fun with that. After being pickled in cosmo for 50+ yrs, that stuff is so deep in the wood, that it'll sweat for another 50. I've seen some folks put the stock in the dishwasher to really get it out, but I don't think I'd reccomend that. You'd be displacing the cosmo with water and would probably end up with one twisted up hunk o' lumber.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
sorry gunlovingliberal... many C&R firearms are packed away in cosmoline in order to protect them from rust and the ravages of time. When you buy one of these guns, you must clean out the cosmo, not only from every nook and cranny of the metal bits, but in some cases, the cosmo is absorbed by the stock as well. By heating the stock gently, you cause the cosmo to "weep" out of the wood, allowing you to wipe it off. Often, if you have these guns out in the hot sun all day at the range, you will find cosmo weeping out of the stock, anyway, so the more you can get out of it in the beginning, the better, I guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts