Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticted that my last order of primers included 2000 in Federal brand, and my new primer tool from Lee says "do not use" in the Federal column. Does anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
From Lee's web site FAQ:

.... Users have reported that the primers in the tray of an Auto Prime can explode for various reasons - some of which include a cocked primer, or an attempt to prime a case which has a primer already in place, or more than one primer on the punch, or priming a military case with the crimp not completely removed. Should an explosion occur, our tests have demonstrated that safety glasses will normally prevent serious injury to the user if the primer brand and quantity of primers are used. Other primers, especially FEDERAL, can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for the info. I had read the same info on the new primer I received from Lee. The "lid" on the one I have been using for about 15 years has warped, and sometimes lets the primers turn on their sides. So I ordered a new primer, couldn't find just the plactic lid. I will proceed cautiously.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A decent quality face shield like used for grinding might be a good investment, I'm saving up my brass to eventually start reloading and the thought of primers going off crossed my mind, I think they are only about 10-15 dollars.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Lee is just covering their butts. Federal primers are the softest of all primers and would have the most tendency to go off if there was a problem.

But most people use them anyway if they like them, just be careful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the federal primers wont explode if pressure is applied.it is the heavy handed impatient operator that will do it.I have been loading since 1937 and have never had a primer go on me.I have 15 presses and load about 25 different cartridges.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. I have been using the Federal primers lately with no issues. I do wear safety glassed while priming cases. I do everything manually, and one phase at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Federal did or does use a more sensitive priming compound. Info source Modern Reloading, copyright 1996.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.