What's the deal with handguards?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm looking for a handguard for my Ar, but the carbine length are too short, and the mid-length are too long. The one I have is 8 5\8" lip to lip, and 8 1\8 surface. I can't find anything that length. All these so called "drop in" handguards ar too long or short. So what's the deal? Do I need to modify the gas system to change my handguard?

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Very Odd, I will review your pix...
    It "looked" standard... :confused:

3. undeRGRound

INDY
    Looks like standard Carbine HG to me!
    Maybe you measured different than the mfg's do.
    I fail to see how they measure some of these things, sometimes.
    I bet any standard carbine length HG will fit, if it is not a free-float.

[​IMG]

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

Not a free float. Just a $9 standard handguard. I took it off and measured it. I see them with all different dimensions, 6, 7, 7.5, 9, 10, 10.6, all kinds of crap. I don't get it.

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    I mean any that you buy... A free float will FIT, with mods.
    You have to remove the delta ring and put on something else...
    Std. carbine is what it lookd like. Regular MagPul MOE fir mine
    like a Glove!

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What brand and model is your AR?:confused:?

Regardless, 8.5 is a mid length, not Carbine length.

But...there's variation in length, and in nomenclature.

Many Mid Length are closer to 9 inches.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  7. bluharley

bluharley Member

PSA, and their handguards are like $200! What the hell is that? I see handguards on their website that cost as much as my whole gun! Stupid stuff.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  9. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks! That's better.

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Free float can improve accuracy... but if this is just a defensive gun not needed. Mine does duty on 300+ yard prairie dog shots... so I have a free float and a match grade barrel.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Ajole found it before I did ;-)

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

AFAIK to go longer with a mid or rifle length you will either need to go with a low profile gas block or whack the front sight with a hacksaw and mount an after market sight. A local store has a "gunsmith" which I plopped my AR in front of him. He stated flappin his yap about needing a custom barrel and have it drilled for a gas block blah-blah etc. I put a rifle length MagPul hand guard in front of him (see link) and he was stupified. I did get a MBUS front flip up sight to mount on a rail. I think I am going to keep the A frame front sight, cut off the present ring etc assembly as I bought a clamp and new retainer ring to mount a longer hand guard. I have a bunch of the MagPuls as they were on clearance (still are! direct from MP) I like the looks of the MOE VS the MLOK. I may carve out the top of one of the hand guards I bought so I can keep the front sight. I got a mid in FDE, a rifle length in black and FDE. Right now I have a FDE carbine length. For about $26 shipped you could get a foliage green or OD green drop on carbine length guard from MP. The other colors are gone from their inventory. It can be mounted with a FG and rails for a flashlight, cup holder, and cell phone charger. :rofl: https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-hand-guard-carbine-length-ar15-m4 I got a mid in FDE from Primary Arms. They have a 15% off sale going right now on MP stuff. They ship fast.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/magpul/c/brand_1001_111/

https://www.magpul.com/products/hand-guards

13. 45Man

45Man Member

It's a mid-length, same as my Adams Arms gas piston. Your measurements are same as mine. You can add some rails to the hand guards.

If you want to change to free float, the front delta-ring must be removed, so the front sight has to come off so you can slide it off. Be advised, most free floats are much heavier than the standard hand guards.

Samson makes the best free floats & are not as heavy as most others, but still weighs 10.5oz. Some go over the gas block & some go around it. They have a unique method of attaching to the standard barrel nut. Others require replacing the barrel nut with theirs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  14. bluharley

bluharley Member

15. 45Man

45Man Member

You can get Magpul anywhere, no need to wait on PSA.
    If Tapco made a middy, I would get them, does not need heat shields. I've got a set on an AR22, comes will integrated rails, top & bottom & rail covers.

Here they are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  16. bluharley

bluharley Member

True, I guess when I want one I can find one. Got other things demanding money right now, ammo, more ammo, stuff like that.

17. 45Man

45Man Member

18. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks 45. Magpul no longer has black MOE. But I think I'll look for the M-Lok, the latesy and greatest, ya know?