What's the harm in dry firing?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by bluharley, Jul 25, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

The way it's designed, I don't see how dry firing can damage the firing pin. Am I not seeing something? Thanks.

2. My understanding is this:
    Center fire guns dry firing does no measurable damage.

Rim fire guns: Since the firing pin squishes the soft brass in between the steel of the barrel to make it fire. The firing pin will hit the steel of the barrel and possibly (over time probably) be bent or deformed.

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

On an HP, there really isn't one. On several other makers and on rimfire caliber guns you should never dryfire

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks. My little .32 Cobra is designed the same way. I can see a rim fire having issues. but these look ok. Not that I'm hammering away on it, but just now and then. I know they say the spring will not be damaged by being compressed for long periods of time, but I'd rather not.

5. geekandwife

Actually the more time you use the spring the weaker it will become. A compressed load on a spring does not do anything. But you are talking about needing to dry fire thouands and thousands of times before you are going to wear our a modern spring

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    There are some rim fire Mfgs say it is OK to dry fire their firearms. There are other rim fire Mfgs that say not to dry fire. Henry is one that specifically says not to dry fire their rim fire rifles. What is the difference? I have no clue other than it depends on how the rim fire is designed? If you dry fire a Henry, it can put dings in the edge of the chamber and if the dings are bad enough, they will cause FTF's.

7. Look at the bolt on a center fire, then look where the firing ping in a rimfire is positioned. There is no way dry firing a centerfire can harm things. NO way a rimfire can not harm stuff. All my rimfire rifles will damage the firing pin if dry fired. My Ruger single action pistols will not be harmed because of the indent on the cylinder. So Ruger says.

YMMV I guess.

I am good with dry firing any center fire, I never dry fire my rimfires, even the supposedly safe Ruger single action pistols

But of course all of the rimfires when cocked need to be dry fired to release tension on the firing pin spring. So of course they get dry fired but I sure don't practice it on them.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Actually, there are several ways a rimfire can be dry fired and do no damage.

Your Ruger notches is one method. Ruger also says dry firing the 10/22 is no problem, they use a cross pin to limit travel, the firing pin simply doesn't ever travel quite far enough to strike the barrel/chamber. But...excessive dry firing could bend that pin, and thus allow contact.

Several other makers, including Marlin, use a similar system.

The biggest issue in the rimfire knowledge base is this: back in the day, rimfire firing pins and chambers weren't always made with the best steel, and contact would, could, and did cause problems, ranging from deformed and broken firing pins to chambers with bits of steel protruding into the path of the bullets.

Modern metallurgy has made this almost moot. So, between the better metals, systems like the notches designed to stop the contact between pin and barrel, and other systems that do other things, many modern rimfires aren't damaged by dry firing. But many older models can be.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. nice post Ajole. Never really thought about better metallurgy.

I don't like to do it though. With the rifles you either dry fire it or leave it cocked. And of course I lose count of rounds fired and almost always end up pulling the trigger on an empty chamber when shooting. With my first rifle I dunno how many thousands of rounds I have shot and it is still okay though. So in effect I do dry fire them.

As for my Ruger SAS, there are two ping marks on the cylinder from dry firing it, so in spite of them saying it is okay I don't do it. If I feel the need to play with it I put fired cases in the cylinder.

10. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Henry must be making some cheap barrels for its rim fire rifles. According to Henry, dry fire is a common cause of FTF. There also have been FTF incidents caused by dry fire on the Henry Forum. I have the Ruger SS convertible and have dry fired it several times (Lost count :D) and not had problems. But I still try not to dry fire it. If someone has a rim fire, I recommend not to dry fire if at all possible. But that's just my .02

11. geekandwife

Not all centerfires are safe, my carry gun of choice PF-9 by Kel-Tec is one example. Dryfiring will cause the firing pin to damage itself and break with repeated dryfires.