Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Administrator
28,329 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, if you're running Microsoft Windows then spool up Microsoft Defender. Honestly, it's just as good at detecting, blocking, and removing malware as any other product, has a much lower footprint in your system thus running cleaner, and is no extra cost. Just run Defender.

Whatever you do, don't spool up McAfee. Sure they sound good and have a good sales pitch but the product is a resource pig. It'll turn a mid-range workstation into molasses-slow dogcrap and low-end workstation into an electricity sucking paperweight.

If you're philosophically opposed to having a Microsoft mono-culture then I've had good luck with Avira but also like AVG and Kaspersky. Of the non-Microsoft options, I prefer Avira.

But, honestly, when I set up Windows workstations for my family members who stubbornly refuse to see the superiority of Linux, I just enable Microsoft Defender.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,329 Posts
Ubuntu MATE - an easy to use, easy to install flavor of Linux.
For Windows refuges, I prefer PCLinuxOS. On my personal desktop, I cycle through a bunch but I keep coming back to RHEL clones, mostly because I use RHEL at work.

...that and I just kinda don't like Ubuntu.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun

· Premium Member
JHP
9,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I hate to say it, if you're running Microsoft Windows then spool up Microsoft Defender. Honestly, it's just as good at detecting, blocking, and removing malware as any other product, has a much lower footprint in your system thus running cleaner, and is no extra cost. Just run Defender.

Whatever you do, don't spool up McAfee. Sure they sound good and have a good sales pitch but the product is a resource pig. It'll turn a mid-range workstation into molasses-slow dogcrap and low-end workstation into an electricity sucking paperweight.

If you're philosophically opposed to having a Microsoft mono-culture then I've had good luck with Avira but also like AVG and Kaspersky. Of the non-Microsoft options, I prefer Avira.

But, honestly, when I set up Windows workstations for my family members who stubbornly refuse to see the superiority of Linux, I just enable Microsoft Defender.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thanks, kirk!

The myriad swirl of choices was making muh haid spin.

Rerun

· Premium Member
22,728 Posts
Malwarebytes Free. for me. You could pay for it and it will run automatically. I manually run SuperantiSpyware too. I don't go to bad places evidently. Never get malware. I do pick up stuff and delete it with SASW.

· Registered
Everything I can get my hands on!
447 Posts
I probably have tried 90% of what's out there. There are several third party testing companies that give their test results a couple times a year and it always changes. Malwarebytes free is okay but misses a lot. Most internet networks offer a free one in addition to Microsoft's. I'm currently using Avast One because it's rated highly for my phone as well as computers.

· Registered
871 Posts
I run Defender, Malwarebytes, and Super Anti Spyware occasionally. All three have kept my machine running virus free for years. Knock on wood.

EDIT/ADD: And NOTHING is stored in the cloud.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,760 Posts
I don't even use a computer anymore except for work. I do all my stuff on a phone or tablet. I don't have anu issues at all with android. I use whatever is installed on them. I haven't even started my computer in probably 2 years

· Registered
447 Posts
I do everything on my computer and phone. I highly recommend a VPN. Avast comes with one but I don't use theirs. I use Express VPN which uses an onion router and does not store any of your data unlike most others. In short, it's the best way to keep prying eyes out! The Tor browser was developed by the CIA and uses an onion router as does the dark web. Basically a signal is encrypted and bounced off relays all over the world. It's the safest way to communicate with anyone privately.

· AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,544 Posts
Windows Defender and Nord VPN here.

My phone has AVG and Nord VPN lol.

My windows 7 laptop (Use for my fiber laser) - use to run Defender but no support anymore so on that one I have malwarebytes and AVG.

· Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Windows 10 & 11 come with Microsoft’s anti-malware suite. That includes Defender.

Really, it’s all you’ll need anymore.

Most of the other options are as effective. Just keep in mind, a zero day malware event usually isn’t known by all protection programs at the same time. Microsoft may get one, Nord another, Norton another. So none will ever guarantee 100% protection. It just isn’t possible.

Lastly, you do not want to have two different programs active at the same time. They will interfere with each other. Frequently blocking each other’s protection methods.

· Registered
447 Posts
I need to cancel macafee and go a different direction. I wish this thread was around a few weeks ago before my anti virus auto renewed for a year.
McAfee was pretty much an evil genius. He had some of the best cutting edge software of his time but put " back doors" in it which allowed him to spy on just about any government or person. There's a documentary about him that speculates that he was murdered because of that

· Premium Member
Everything
3,449 Posts
McAfee was pretty much an evil genius. He had some of the best cutting edge software of his time but put " back doors" in it which allowed him to spy on just about any government or person. There's a documentary about him that speculates that he was murdered because of that
I'm really interested in checking that out. Sounds like an interesting story.

· Registered
871 Posts
Evil genius like Howard Hughes. They both developed cutting edge technologies and both eventually went bat guano crazy. The fine line and all that.

Reactions: GrumpyOlMan

· Premium Member
8,922 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts