What's up with Ohio?

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by tallbump, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Spent the last few days in Columbus....dang no weapons sticker everywhere.

Can't go in the zoo. Can't even get in the parking lot, got the stickers right at the little booth where you pay to park. Then more a the actual entrance...even says it is against the law. What's up with that?

Also hit up the Easton Town Shopping Center...dang signs EVERYWHERE...and it's mostly out doors.

I thought Ohio was 2A friendly :confused:

Did have a quick chat with an armed guard this morning at McDonalds. He was carrying a M&P .45 for his duty weapon..he fills ATM machines. He liked my NRA hat.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I don't go anywhere there is a sticker!
    The wife has gotten so she will actually call before we leave the house. She has been so mad to get out of the car & walk up to a door, only to turn around and leave. She even has me drive by so we can look at the door. If I can't take my gun, I don't go. I'll sit in the car while she goes in, but she don't like that either?

3. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I was reading something about this the other day on a FB page.
    Apparently, some anti-gun nuts decided to use scare tactics to get businesses put the sticker on their businesses. Some just put them on the windows without the owners knowing about it, too.

When in doubt, go in and ask to speak to the manager. Have a rational discussion with the manager and see if they'll take the signs down.
    Remember reading a conceal carry guy talked to one of the managers and asked if he'd been robbed recently, and the manager told him he had. CC told him it's because they know they'll have no trouble because of the GFZ sticker on his window and no one would be able to defend themselves. Manager said that the anti-gunners had scared him into putting the sticker up in the first place, but CC convinced him otherwise, and removed the sticker

4. MachoMelvin

I am very non-confrontational, I talk with my wallet?

5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

So, I was researching it. It appears it it illegal to go in if they have the sign? :mad:

So lame...

6. Etechonline2002

Etechonline2002 Member

There is a lot of that you just have to ignore it in certain areas. Aka hi crime areas. In nice places ok its near by.

7. I'm not to familiar with ohio. But I'm pretty sure they are way behind PA in 2nd acceptance.
    They haven't had cow near as long as pa and it's still fresh In people's mind.
    I have been pleasantly surprised with PA ccw law since we moved here. Haven't had to leave it in the car any where but work

8. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Yes, in Ohio signs do carry force of Law,

9. MachoMelvin

By placing a GFZ sign in the window, the establishment is saying;
    1) Only non-law abiding people can carry a firearm in their business
    2) They think there are more non CCW holders than actual CCW holders
    3) The corporate leadership is run by liberal democrats & they are in charge
    4) They don't need my $$$, I should go elsewhere

10. What's the penalty for carrying into such a place in Ohio? I tried to find it, but couldn't find exact law on it.

Here in MN all they can do about it is tell you to leave because you are carrying. And only a problem if you don't leave after being asked.

11. We've had cow for many century!

12. Sign or no sign I carry...I have hardly any signs in Ohio where I am...Columbus is also a very liberal area of Ohio...FYI. That's probably why your seeing so many.

13. Well, kind of.

The law states that if you are caught carrying beyond the sigh, you must be asked to immediately leave the place of business. If you refuse, you will be served as trespassing.

It is NOT a felony to carry beyond the sign. However, some have said that they lost their CCW during renewal because they were caught beyond the sign even though no charges were filed.

Also, the sign MUST be posted at EVERY entrance/exit. Basically, anywhere someone could legally enter the business.

Exclusions are government, schools and places were alcohol are served (I think, sorry too tired to remember clearly that one). In those, it's a direct felony.

Of note, Ohio has legal open carry. Although, too many dumbasses don't know this or disagree with it, so you'll get the cops called on you and likely charge with inciting a panic.

14. "In April 2004, Ohio's concealed carry statute went into effect. The law (Ohio Revised Code [O.R.C.] 2923.12, et seq.) allows persons 21 and older to receive a concealed handgun license provided that they receive a minimum of 12 hours of handgun training (10 hours of classroom instruction and 2 hours of range time) from a certified instructor, demonstrate competency with a handgun through written and shooting tests, pass a criminal background check, and meet certain residency requirements.[3]"

Thats from wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt

15. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

R.C. 2923.126(C)(3) allows the owner or person in control of private land to post a sign in a
    conspicuous place that prohibits persons from carrying concealed firearms on that property.

You are misunderstanding the law, you are trespassing the second you step foot on the land with the sign posted. They do not have to ask you to leave. You are already in violation of the law and can be cited on the spot for it. That is what force of the law means. There is no requirement that it must be at every entrance and exit just that it must be posted someplace where it is clearly visible.

16. I must have missed the mark with that joke

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I caught it.

18. "Conspicuous", "knowingly"...

Which is why I wrote that if the signs are not posted where you can easily see them upon entering the building/property, you can not be charged for trespassing until after being asked to leave.

I have been too MANY businesses where not all egress are signed. Until they prove that you came through one signed, you're not in violation. I don't have the specific citations, but this has been upheld many times in Ohio.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I caught that one too.

The muffed up part is most parts of NY where I spend time have virtually zero signs. Hell, the last one I remember seeing was on the bank door when I went to get bonded for the FD a month or so ago and all it said was, "no loaded firearms permitted on the premises." I elected NOT to be a smart ass and left my pistol in the truck. I'll have to try and remember to get a picture of it next time I'm there.

20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Conversation with one of the pages on FB where I could have sworn they had info on the signs