Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my step-grandmum-in-law's birthday party...or whoever she is, I have no idea how she is related to me.

Anywho, she took us out to eat, my immediate family, and the step-family to some German restaurant. Being my first time eating German, I was a bit intrigued. Walking through the buffet being sure to pick something of each to try it. I got back to the table, took a bite or two of everything and spit it on the ground under my chair. One more trip I stocked up on dry salad because all they had was Blue Cheese.

Anywho, that's both fine, and dandy trying new things. Dessert time rolled around and I made my way to the chocolate section. You know how Germans are renowned for their dark chocolate...

I cut me a big, juicy slice of chocolate cake. I got back to my seat...kicked my scraps further under the table so people wouldn't see it. Fork in hand I dug in to retrieve a large bite. In my mouth I found the best taste, and the worst taste combined into the most horrid taste.

They put coconut in the chocolate...and thought it was normal.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH GERMAN PEOPLE?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You should seriously think before you post.

German Chocolate cake isn't German at all, It was created in Dallas, TX in 1957.

Now, since you didn't describe what you spit into the floor... I can't tell you what it was supposed to be or how it is supposed to taste.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
And for the record, if you ever find a real German dish... not one from a buffet (buffets go for quantity not quality)... I suggest you try one of the following dishes:
Goulasch
Huhnerfrikassee
Schweinebraten
and of course Wiener Schnitzel... made with veal, NOT SAUSAGE!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of those names look familiar, but I saw names similar as well as things nobody could pronounce.

The first thing I tried and spit out was some kind of...dumpling. A cooked dough stuff with what I'm guessing was bland cheese or eggs inside. After that there was something they pronounced as a beer-ock. But wasn't spelled anything like that, it was okay but wasn't worth taking an extra bite of. A slew of soups...all with cabbage and weird sauces. There was indeed sausage there, but it was slathered in some rancid lettuce they called sour krout. Which all this time I thought was a racist term for German people, but it's something real...and just as nasty. Topped of with something called "see-ya" It was some kind of meat wrapped in cabbage marinated in salt.

Also at the dessert table there was another dumpling thingy, filled with something that was almost chocolaty(which I later found out was pinto beans), some kind of white pudding that had the "cobble stone" texture similar to Hogue grips. Ice cream, cookies, and the chocolate cake with coconut....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You have grown up in the food paradise of the world so dont expect to like food from other countries. From my time with Uncle I can understand. German food is a very acquired taste only exceeded by Korean. As for your table manners less said the better.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Sauerkraut is cabbage, not lettuce.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Oh just have your Irish 7 course dinner (A baked potato and a six pack) and leave us Krauts alone. :D

And yeah German chocolate cake was a recipe using German's baking chocolate, in subsequent reprintings of the recipe the 's was dropped off leaving us with a cake made by a southern housewife that people think germans eat.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Honestly, I am torn as I am both German and Irish by heritage... There are many German dishes that I grew up eating that I can't stand, so I know where he's coming from. As far as ethnically Irish dishes, I don't know that I've ever eaten any, and if so, it was mostly meat and potatoes, or Guinness.

Hey Maaso, did I post the picture of me in Shannon, Ireland at the bar in the Airport? On my way home from my deployment, we stopped through there and I had to take the time to belly up to the bar, and drink a Guinness in the homeland. It was a pretty awesome feeling. I'll post it up for you if you haven't seen it.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I don't think I've ever really tried anything German other than sour kraut, but I thought that stuff was nasty. I like Mexican, Chinese, and Japanese but what little European food I've tried I didn't like.

it was slathered in some rancid lettuce they called sour krout. Which all this time I thought was a racist term for German people, but it's something real...and just as nasty.
You sir, just won an Internet with that remark. I lold hardcore.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My wife is from Frankfurt and let me tell you she makes some ''GOOD FOOD". I may not be able to pronounce there names, but its "GOOD EATING'' . They do have some weird music though lol.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Being a kraut myself...I love my German herritage but dewd is right...alot of the food is an aquired taste.
Don't get me wrong. I can kill an entire helping of sauerkraut right out of the can and drink the juice afterwards.

I think the dumpling stuff could have been Spaetzle. Badass dish if made right.

The best however is beer and brats with kraut. That stuff is the food of the gods. They have to be on REAL brat buns though...not a crappy hotdog bun.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My grandparents were 100% German, i live in Germany for 10 years, speak fluent German and love German food. the only one i can't stomach is blutwurst, which is blood sausage. the dumplings were probably knoedel, which is a minced potato ball, delicious. spaetzle are flour noodles that you boil in salt water, butter on the top, OMG! saurkraut in Germany is virtually non existant as we know it, unless it is around a military base, then they adapt to our tastes. they will usually serve rotkraut, red cabbage, cooked and served warm with a little vinegar on it..mmmmm. as far as wurst is concerned, the best is the Nurenburg bratwurst..little ones about 3-4 inches long, grilled and served on a brotchen which is a crusty roll with mustard...outstanding. Wurzberg weizewurst, white sausage comes in a close second. as far as pork dishes schwienebraten, berock is the meat from a pigs foot, delicious. goulash came from Hungary when the Germans occupied it, it is not an original dish. we had a place the americans called the schnitzel factory, they served a pounded out veal schnitzel that was as big as a 12" plate, OMG! there is a lot of turkish influence there also, the Turkish pizza is the bomb, yellow goat cheese with artichoke hearts, geeze! leiberknodelsuppe is a soup made with a golf ball size ball of liverwurst in it, to die for. i could go on and on and on. man i miss Germany! can't find a good peice of veal here at all. it's all tacos and beans!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Man, Wiener Schnitzel made with hot (and I do mean HOT) Hungarian Paprika, mit Spaetzle und Kraut!!! Ja, das ist ein kleines Stück Himmel!!! :D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
a little peice of heaven is correct, but leave off the paprika and go with some good German ketchup made with the hint of strawberry!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Aw man, I lived in Berlin for almost 7 years. I miss the Rippchen, Eisbein, Rouladen, Schnitzel, and Spaetzle and Kraut with everything! Even something as simple as a currywurst from that Imbiss by the Wittenbergplatz U-Bahn station or that eponymous Turkish import, the Doener Kebap in all its varieties, especially the red sauced ones from the Imbiss at girl-watchers' corner, were a real treat. And Volksfest food? Yummy frogs legs, crepes with fruit, Schweinefleisch mit Zwiebeln (we called it monkey meat), and every dang type of wurst you can imagine. Hell, I even liked Berliner Leber (calf liver grilled with onions and apples).

I'm a Southern™ boy raised to eat everything put before me without complaint, but I honestly do love me some German food.

However, I can imagine how a buffet in Kansas could screw it up. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. If someday we should meet up, I'll be sure to cook you some decent German vittles.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If someday we should meet up, I'll be sure to cook you some decent German vittles.
I'll try it again...just don't be mad if I spit it on your floor when your not looking.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My grandmother was a gourmet chef and 100% German, never knew what country you were eating from night to night. Raised on German food and I HATE sour kraut. Love everything else. I have been to Russia, Denmark, Italy, Bahamas, Cyprus, Greece, Spain, France, all over the world and the only place I have ever HAD to go to McDonalds because I couldnt do Local cuisine was Russia. Very bland.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are Brats available where you are? I have some family from Wichita that came here (Wisconsin - the home of beer and brats) and had never even heard of a brat before. Now, my uncle brings a cooler and packs it full of Johnsonvilles (brats) for back home.

Oh, sorry :hijack:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts