Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my old lee pot works[free]
charley just gave me 10 lbs of wheel weights[free--only 4 zinc :D]
more wheel weights comeing whenever we need them[his work]
im gonna order a slug mold and a lee load-all
im getting excited
but i got a question---should i go with the 7/8 oz mold or the 1 oz?
any experience or ideas?
all will be considered and appreciated

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Gidge,

I've got no experience with shotgun slugs. SiliconWolveren does and should be able to offer some good insight. Hope you plan on melting, fluxing, and cleaning the WW in another pot if your using a Lee bottom pour pot for casting? WW have alot of initial crap in them that will clog up a botton pour pot good and proper. Then it is a PITA to clean out.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
To clean up your lead fact and quick make a home made blast furnace. I'll post a video next time i do this. Get a small cast iron skillet, 3 ft piece of copper tube, leaf blower, can be electric or gas, empty 1 gal steel paint can and charcoal.

make a hole in the side of the paint can and insert the pipe. Make holes all around the top lip. tape your pipe to end of the leaf blower. dump in charcoal. add lighter fluid and let burn for a minute, and then fire up the leaf blower. Put your skillet on top, and in five minutes it will melt down all of your lead. This method works great, and i reduced 50 lbs of wheel weights down to clean ingots in about 45 minuets.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
go with the 1oz mold, its more vestaile load wise. you can also mill off the "ears" in teh mold to make a heavier slug if you so desire. the Lee molds dont last as long as an RCBS or lyman but the cost offsets it. Expect them to last around 2500 casts at best before they wear out. For the 25$ the mold costs you can buy several for teh 70-80$ a lyman or RCBS costs.

i use my old BBQ grill to smelt down raw lead. its alittel slower but the ability to precisely control your temp is worth it. i can run just above melting temp for lead and just below the temp fo zinc so i can skim them off.

get ALL the WW you can lay hands on. ive been shut out of all my regular sources either by greedy owners wanted excessive money or fear of the EPA fining them for selling lead without a license. even my slavage yard sources are out beacuse the EPA is crowding them about selling lead to individuals. i had a buddy sell me 100lbs of medical protective lead but he figures that probably the last of it.

SW

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I have a turkey pot with a propane burner that I use now and it works great. I used to use my Lee pot and it turned out to just be too slow to get stuff done quickly. I could only smelt about 50 pounds of lead in an average night, where as I can do 150+ in an hour or so with the propane burner and a 10 pound cast iron pot.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
I have a turkey pot with a propane burner that I use now and it works great. I used to use my Lee pot and it turned out to just be too slow to get stuff done quickly. I could only smelt about 50 pounds of lead in an average night, where as I can do 150+ in an hour or so with the propane burner and a 10 pound cast iron pot.
primal, go to a camping store and buy a large cast iron camping skillet. mine holds almost 35 lbs when its full.

SW

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
To clean up your lead fact and quick make a home made blast furnace. I'll post a video next time i do this. Get a small cast iron skillet, 3 ft piece of copper tube, leaf blower, can be electric or gas, empty 1 gal steel paint can and charcoal.

make a hole in the side of the paint can and insert the pipe. Make holes all around the top lip. tape your pipe to end of the leaf blower. dump in charcoal. add lighter fluid and let burn for a minute, and then fire up the leaf blower. Put your skillet on top, and in five minutes it will melt down all of your lead. This method works great, and i reduced 50 lbs of wheel weights down to clean ingots in about 45 minuets.
what an awesome, AND simple, way to do it! i gotta store that one in grey matter.
Thankfully I have a forge, cuz a leaf blower i do not have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts