10,513 Posts
Good luck my friend.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, folk!

I must have walked around with that nail in my shoe/foot for half the day.
Then, I slept all night until getting up at 8:30 Thursday.
Found it as i was getting ready for a shower.

Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
You need some good diabetic shoes. They will prevent puncture wounds like that.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
You need some good diabetic shoes. They will prevent puncture wounds like that.
He needs to stop with the carbs, sugar, and crap diet like we've been telling him for years. Getting your A1C low enough to be on the chart for the first time in a decade isn't a win, it's simply stepping in to the ring to fight for your life.

Sorry to be the asshole, but not really. Sure it sucks ass, but it's self inflicted.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
He needs to stop with the carbs, sugar, and crap diet like we've been telling him for years. Getting your A1C low enough to be on the chart for the first time in a decade isn't a win, it's simply stepping in to the ring to fight for your life.

Sorry to be the asshole, but not really. Sure it sucks ass, but it's self inflicted.
My Primary Care Doc just sent me to an endocrinologist. His goal is to get me off of all diabetes meds within 2 1/2 years. So far I have brought my A1C levels from over 12 to under 8. I did this by eating the cave man / paleo diet. This is a very low carb diet.

The diabetes doc has changed my diet. He has added carbs. I have not eaten bread to amount to anything in years. He added it back to my diet. Where my diet was high in nuts, berries, crucerfus vegetables, and meats, very low carb. He has added fruits and grains, increasing my carb intake considerably. He has also cut out any red meats, fish and poultry are the meats I am allowed. my meal last night for example was steamed tuna with rice and broccolI, with an apple for desert. In the past I would not of allowed myself the rice or apple.

So far at my last visit, my average blood sugar has dropped by 28 points. That was over 60 days. I go back to see him in January. We will see what happens then, but so far I am happy with the results. My routine has been basically the same except for diet and meds. They have reduced the amount of insulin that I take, and put my mealtime insulin on a sliding scale, which has reduced it slightly also. where my average blood sugar was in the 220’s before meals, jumping up into the 300’s after a meal, my sugar is in the 130 range now, jumping to around 200 after a meal.

• Helpful
Reactions: lklawson and Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
@Rerun , I'm serious man. We may argue about a lot of things but I would hate to see you lose fingers, toes, vision, or develop diabetic dementia. I'm right there in the ring with you. I make it a habit to check and lotion my feet daily. Even a simple scratch, hangnail, blister, or cracked dry skin can turn bad. I have neuropathy in my feet from the back injury and mild hypertensive retinopathy. I'm no dietician and Google has more answers than I do but shit man, if you need help just ask. There's quite a few diabetics on the board.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
My Primary Care Doc just sent me to an endocrinologist. His goal is to get me off of all diabetes meds within 2 1/2 years. So far I have brought my A1C levels from over 12 to under 8. I did this by eating the cave man / paleo diet. This is a very low carb diet.

The diabetes doc has changed my diet. He has added carbs. I have not eaten bread to amount to anything in years. He added it back to my diet. Where my diet was high in nuts, berries, crucerfus vegetables, and meats, very low carb. He has added fruits and grains, increasing my carb intake considerably. He has also cut out any red meats, fish and poultry are the meats I am allowed. my meal last night for example was steamed tuna with rice and broccolI, with an apple for desert. In the past I would not of allowed myself the rice or apple.

So far at my last visit, my average blood sugar has dropped by 28 points. That was over 60 days. I go back to see him in January. We will see what happens then, but so far I am happy with the results. My routine has been basically the same except for diet and meds. They have reduced the amount of insulin that I take, and put my mealtime insulin on a sliding scale, which has reduced it slightly also. where my average blood sugar was in the 220’s before meals, jumping up into the 300’s after a meal, my sugar is in the 130 range now, jumping to around 200 after a meal.
Yeah, you can't cut out carbs completely or your liver starts hoarding them when they hit your system. My A1C was off the chart when I first decided to get serious. I went from 13+ down to low 7's, high 6's. I managed to get my blood sugar down to 60-80's pre-meal/fasting and 150-180's post meal. I used to be on a sliding Novalog scale 3-times a day and 80 units of Lantus twice a day with 5 finger sticks a day. I also took 1,000mg of metformin 3 times a day and 10mg of glipazide twice a day. Now I don't need a drop of insulin and I'm only on 500mg of metformin twice a day, 25mg of jardiance in the morning, and 10mg of glipizide at night.

Edit: Caloric intake has a lot to do with it as well. Too many calories and your body just stores all the carbs. Too much protein will teach your body to go after muscle tissue when you're in deficit. I only know what works for my body as a type 2. My old lady is a type 1 hybrid where her pancreas will randomly puke out insulin once every few months and send her in to a hypoglycemic episode.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might have to change my moniker to 3-toed Joe.

Although the doctor's here are fighting to prevent that.

In truth,
I never took type 2 diabetes seriously enough.

It's biting me in the foot right now.

Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
Yeah, you can't cut out carbs completely or your liver starts hoarding them when they hit your system. My A1C was off the chart when I first decided to get serious. I went from 13+ down to low 7's, high 6's. I managed to get my blood sugar down to 60-80's pre-meal/fasting and 150-180's post meal. I used to be on a sliding Novalog scale 3-times a day and 80 units of Lantus twice a day with 5 finger sticks a day. I also took 1,000mg of metformin 3 times a day and 10mg of glipazide twice a day. Now I don't need a drop of insulin and I'm only on 500mg of metformin twice a day, 25mg of jardiance in the morning, and 10mg of glipizide at night.

Edit: Caloric intake has a lot to do with it as well. Too many calories and your body just stores all the carbs. Too much protein will teach your body to go after muscle tissue when you're in deficit. I only know what works for my body as a type 2. My old lady is a type 1 hybrid where her pancreas will randomly puke out insulin once every few months and send her in to a hypoglycemic episode.
I know about the caloric intake. I fixed that by cooking my meals in my camping pot. I usually stay alone and my most used pot is 585 ml. If I want seconds, I have to cook again! I have gone from a 64" waist to a 52" waist. My goal is 48". I will be happy. If I can get to 42" I will take it as a bonus! I don’t care how much weight I lose as long as I lose bulk. Still wearing 6xl shirts, but having to taylor them, and can not button the button on a dress shirt. Have to buy them in 7xl to button the neck. I have a 64" chest with a 21" neck.

Kind of funny note. I can still put on my Dress Blues. I can hook the neck and button to the base of my sternum, but no further. :ROFLMAO: I doubt I will ever get in the trousers again as they are 36" but my chest today is the same as my chest was as 19 year old Marine! It’s just not quite as hard as it used to be.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
I know about the caloric intake. I fixed that by cooking my meals in my camping pot. I usually stay alone and my most used pot is 585 ml. If I want seconds, I have to cook again! I have gone from a 64" waist to a 52" waist. My goal is 48". I will be happy. If I can get to 42" I will take it as a bonus! I don’t care how much weight I lose as long as I lose bulk. Still wearing 6xl shirts, but having to taylor them, and can not button the button on a dress shirt. Have to buy them in 7xl to button the neck. I have a 64" chest with a 21" neck.

Kind of funny note. I can still put on my Dress Blues. I can hook the neck and button to the base of my sternum, but no further. :ROFLMAO: I doubt I will ever get in the trousers again as they are 36" but my chest today is the same as my chest was as 19 year old Marine! It’s just not quite as hard as it used to be.
Lol yeah, I'm never going to fit in mine again. I had a 52" chest and a 36" waist. I was a gym rat. The downside of being a type 2 is we develop a belly that's hard to lose. I'm in 3X shirts, but I still threaten to get down to fighting weight so I can buy a whole new wardrobe now and again. No way in hell I ever get down to 225 again while I'm still breathing.

·
Premium Member
If I have it, I shoot it.
855 Posts
Sorry to hear, Rerun. Diabetes is serious, no matter if type1 or type2. If you don't take care of yourself, you'll be losing bits of yourself constantly over time. My first ex-wife had brittle type1 diabetes that she had a hard time controlling over the years. I don't want to tell you how she gets around now.

Good luck with the doctor's you'll be seeing and hope the little piggies get to stay where they are.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
Lol yeah, I'm never going to fit in mine again. I had a 52" chest and a 36" waist. I was a gym rat. The downside of being a type 2 is we develop a belly that's hard to lose. I'm in 3X shirts, but I still threaten to get down to fighting weight so I can buy a whole new wardrobe now and again. No way in hell I ever get down to 225 again while I'm still breathing.
I was stationed at 29 stumps. Nothing really to do there. I worked out every day.

I went to Parris Island at 235 pounds. 5'8". Discusting fat body but it was solid, not fat. Still 176 was my max weight. . I was on half rations all through recievibg, forming, and all 3 phases od boot. I always maxed my situps, pullups, and i could maintain a 6 minute mile all day long.

At 29 Palms i was still on weight control. I got to 196 pounds, but my body fat dropped to very low, aka: a dangerously low, level. The Navy corpsman told the CO that i would never be 176 because i had the bone structure of a gorilla. They took me off of weight control.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
I was stationed at 29 stumps. Nothing really to do there. I worked out every day.

I went to Parris Island at 235 pounds. 5'8". Discusting fat body but it was solid, not fat. Still 176 was my max weight. . I was on half rations all through recievibg, forming, and all 3 phases od boot. I always maxed my situps, pullups, and i could maintain a 6 minute mile all day long.

At 29 Palms i was still on weight control. I got to 196 pounds, but my body fat dropped to very low, aka: a dangerously low, level. The Navy corpsman told the CO that i would never be 176 because i had the bone structure of a gorilla. They took me off of weight control.
Yeah, we ended up getting calipered and taped. At 6'3" I had some leeway on my weight but I was always close. I hit PI at 5'11" 215lbs, graduated at 6'3" 195lbs because once you got designated as a fat body, you were graduating as one. No matter what. My recruiting office put me on a crash diet and crazy workout schedule to cut weight. They might as well have issued me a bunk at Niagara Falls AFB I was there in the gym so much. Recruiters can't abuse you the way they want to in the school weight room.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I was a tall string bean - 6, 2 and 155 lbs.
After boot, 6, 3 and 175 lbs.

I left the Navy in '78 weighing 205. I felt great!

My problems started 27 years later. I gained 82 pounds, and stopped most of my extra curricular activities.
Bloomed up to 287 pounds and became a type 2 diabetic.

Currently 233 pounds.

Just got out of recovery.

The surgeons debrided the infection out, and left a drain tube.

I'm on a drip, antibiotics and saline.

Maybe they'll let me eat soon.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Well neuropathy and retinopathy don't get better, but you can absolutely stop them from getting any worse.

Make reachable goals and stick to your plan.

If court goes well in January, maybe I'll swing up to your AO and teach you how Google works.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts